Is it my arthritis flaring up or side-effect of statins?

Options
marie48
marie48 Member Posts: 189
edited 22. Jun 2010, 17:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been on statin for nearly four months. It did aggravate my arthritis but my GP told me to stay on it as it has lowered my cholesterol. I am having a bad time for the last three weeks. It all started when I started seeing the physio after nearly 1 yr off as I have an open appointment. They are completely useless and I have been given some exercises to do. I have noticed every week I have a different problem, my neck started playing, the next week was my knees, could not walk properly and last week it was my back, I got twinges that it took my breath away and I had to stop. Could not bend and wash my hair etc. It has eased off a bit and now my neck is staring. Physio told me he is sending me to the gym for 5 sessions of structured exercises and some talk about why my pain is moving around and if I understand this, I will be able to cope better. Does this make sense to anybody? I have got the impression they do not know what to do with me. I have a low opinion of them e.g I was told to come every week for 4 weeks and do my exercises there with other people, we all do our own. I thought my GP is paying them good money for something I could do at home.

Since my pain seems to move around, could be just flare up? If it is the side-effect of stains, I would think it will be daily. My GP told me I could stop for a short while and see if there is any improvement. I just want to know what other sufferers think!! I have generalised osteo arthtritis. I am thinking of plodding along for another rmonth until my review. Thanks

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, My husband used to take statins - they automatically give the to diabetics. Then he started to get strange sensations in his legs. Nothing too bad and no pain, just loss of feeling. As diabetics have problems with neuropathy, but they were fine. He did some research, as he's a research scientist, and discovered some research that showed statins can effect nerves, so he stopped taking them, as he had low cholestrol anyway, his gp agreed and the senstations went away.

Thats just one persons reaction and I think its quite rare, don't stop them without talking to your GP, it could be that you've pulled a muscle or something, with new exercises.
    Love Sue :wink:
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Marie
    I have taken statins, in one form or another, for over 15 years. They do, or should I say ,they have given me muscle and joint pains, or at least exacerbated the OA. I have fairly regular blood tests to show if there are any problems with muscle fibre damage. Even though the tests come back negative, it doesn't stop the pains and discomfort.

You have to weigh up the pro's and con's, I have to take them due to chronic heart disease, not that my cholesterol is very high. I think they are over prescribed now, far more people take them than actually need to. If there is a real clinical reason for their use, then that's fine, but I think they are handed out like sweets nowadays.

They can also give you stomach ache too, but, I am used to that after all this time. :roll:
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There was a very good article in the Sunday Mail a few weeks ago about statins and their side-effects. I sent it to my mum but it should be online somewhere! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    When you're diabetic they seem to put you on Statins as a matter of course. My husband has very low colestarol levels and was only taking it as his GP said it would'nt hurt him! I think he would have persivered had he been in need of them. He thinks they dish them out too freely. He did get his GP's permission to stop taking them.
    Love Sue
  • marie48
    Options
    Thanks, I think it depends on GP as well. One of the GP did not encourage me to take them as he mentioned muscle pains etc as a long sufferer of back pain and now generalised arthritis. My family thinks I am exagerrating as I do not look ill but constanly moans and they think I am a moaner & should put up with it as it all due to getting on. Will be 62 next week but am told I look much younger. Will definitely going to discuss with GP. cholesterol was high 7+ but it is now below 4 after two months on simvastatin. It has definitely aggravating my back. Thanks for all your input.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Marie,

I don't know the answer as I am not on it but leaving you a ((((( ))))) and a hope you soon find less problems and pain. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Statins are nasty. They may be of help to some, but I suspect GPs dish them out 'cos most patients are reluctant to control their cholesterol levels via diet. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,469
    Options
    HI Marie

Can't you just have some of thoes be**col yoghurt drinks? I do - dont have high cholestrol anyway, but think its a good idea.

If the doc is happy for you to trial some time off them? I think I myself would.

Do let us know how you get on - interesting this one.

Love

Toni xx
  • rosebud
    rosebud Member Posts: 52
    Options
    If you have high cholesterol it is worth asking to have your thyroid status checked. High cholesterol can be a symptom of hypothyroid.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Marie,

Someone I know who doesn't have arthritis has statins and they do give him muscle and joint pain but mainly in the back and shoulders.

My RA generally rumbles around to different joints on different days and must admit he does have his favourite joints where he lingers longer :roll:

A flare for me is when all my joints are extremely painful and life is a battle.

I don't know if that helps but maybe you should talk to your GP about the statins and also about how you're unhappy with the physio.

Luv legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • marie48
    Options
    GP said it is too high to control with diet. I am going to see whether I can plod along for another month until the 6 months review.

This will sound a silly question, how does muscle pain feel like? The pain I get sometimes I feel it in my bone e.g I get twinges in my back and it is very sensitive to the touch. I found it worse when I have been sitting for long periods on the computer and I do spend a lot of time on it approx 4 hrs a day. Thanks
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi

A friend of mine with well controlled PA had a bad flare up with statins so was taken off them ..

A rheumatology research nurse was very irritated with me when I declined to take part in a trial of statins in patients with RA .. I have RA but have low-ish blood pressure anyway and no cholesterol problems and I really didn't want to take another drug when I am already on a drug like methotrexate!!!!

Marion