Camping and arthritis

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 23. Jun 2010, 16:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks

OH is talking about buying a tent and going camping. I'm in two minds - slightly worried about sleeping arrangements especially with arthur in the knee. I'm quite happy to give it a go but wondered if any of you, my fellow arthurs, have tried it? I went camping a lot with my parents when I was younger and loved it.

Regards
Sharmaine

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If it's only one knee it shouldn't really be a problem. If it's two knees it could be more complicated. You know what your physical limitations are better than us! I loathe camping - it's the only benefit of my PA, I can't do it any more! Hurrah! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hiya,

I went camping last year when i had a good stage with my partner and my little brother. It was great fun! I wont lie tho it was painful in the morning getting up as it gets colder and the hard floor! But i had great fun. We are hoping to go away again but this time we are planning on getting a cam cot (a fold up bed .. my partner is ex-army!) so it should make it a bit easier on me.

Take care and i hope u enjoy it

x
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Like its been said, you know your own limitations. Personally I find it impossible to get up from a low chair, so from the floor, or a camp bed is out!!!
    If you feel its possible for you, then go ahead and enjoy your trip!! Take care, Jay
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine

I was going to suggest the camp bed - I have done it a while back now admittedly...but give it a try - just one night though first go :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Find a camp bed and have a trial run on the landing! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    as a person who has just used her RA as a convenient excuse for not going camping I may not be the best person to ask :roll:
    I guess as every says it depends on your limitations but I find the cold and dampness of the morning coupled with sleeping on a hard floor would cripple me but I have RA everywhere and suffer in the mornings when i'm in a snuggly bed. I would recommend taking extra pillows to cushion knees etc and take it nice and easy don't try any epic hiking and camping, just making it an enjoying the great outdoors kind of thing.
    My main reluctance is that my hubby wanted to take a potty training toddler with us to sleep in a tent for the first time
    good luck and have fun
    Chrissie
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine - you would need a bed really - and a trial run is a really good idea. Would OH pull you to standing - you said you had chair raisers - so you will no doubt struggle to get off the bed. Camping beds tend to have very thin mattresses - might be worth trying a spare sleeping bag on top of the mattress as another layer of padding.

Let us know how the trial run goes!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Already some great advicem but just adding my two cents.

A lot of camp sites have 'luxury caravans' for hire. A friend and I stayed in one over the weekend in the Highlands. It was really remote, cheap and got a proper bed too. Something to consider if you're worried about a tent?

Hope you manage to get away!
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    hiya, i have arthritis and camp a lot, i used a great bed which i got from a camping store that sold fishing equipment also, its a fishermans bed, well padded adjustable legs the lot, slept better on that than my bed at home lol worth looking for as its not as low as some of the padded sun loungers. good luck with the camping i luv it x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, weve been camping the last 3years & i struggled getting out of the tent in the mornings.
    Its a four man tent but you cant stand upright in it. My OH was having to pull me up in the mornings.
    we used a blow up mattress & that was lovely & comfy even with my back problems.
    But as others have said a higher bed might be the best idea if your struggling with knees etc.
    weve got a caravan this year (luxury) & have now given up with the camping. Must sort all the stuff out & get it on Ebay.
    I hope you have a good holiday, Happy camping.
    debs
  • rosyred
    rosyred Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I have been camping with OA in both knees.
    But as it has got worse we have gone out and bought a high rise blow up bed. looking forward to trying it out.
    Also u could always arrange a pitch near the shower block. Just ask them when u book.

Also where we go they have disabled bathroom with a bath :lol: ask for a key for that

Good luck xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

The only thing that really worried me about camping was the sleeping arrangements. I'll have a look around for a blow up bed or camp bed that's has a bit more height to it before OH starts planning things! We have a blow up double bed mattress that is of good quality and I did think about putting another mattress on top of this. I hate being cold but OH says I could take a quilt to put on top of the sleeping bag. We shall see!!!

I had a TKR in Feb other knee needs TKR I get about these days without crutches or wheelchair. I keep a walking stick in the car as I find getting out difficult.

Thanks everyone your advice and suggestions are most appreciated.

Sharmaine
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've never been camping, although I love walking and used to love scrambling over rocks and scree and getting wet and dirty. Thats fine, but then I want a luxury!!! I'm a wimp, I know but I can't help it!

I know lots of people love camping and I envy you the freedom of just travelling round and finding a comp sight you like. Also it's so much cheaper, I would think, once you've bought the gear. I hope you go and have a nice time. :)
    Love Sue
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    hi
    i camp a lot as i am a scout leader. the trick is to keep warm!!!
    i use a thermo rest not a camp bed this heats the air trapped in it from your body and circulates to keep you warm underneath. I make sure i wear trousers in the evening and dont let myself get cold. Make sure your tent is insulated and you have a ground sheet underneath as this will help.

I generally dont have much trouble with it, but have had my bad days whilst camping, then i cant do much. But i try! and my lovely explorer scouts know and help me!! even put me boots on sometimes for me! :lol:

Gemma
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I used to camp with OA in hips and spine......We loved the freedom...Camp bed, sleeping bag and possibly something over the top ...depending on the weather.
    Couldnt do that now......I'm an old age pensioner LOL :wink: and have just had first THR and waiting for the second.
    We have a caravan now.....not very posh.....just the ordinary hard settee that you pull out to make into a bed. I bought a caravan memory foam mattress a couple of months ago and we went away for the weekend just to see what I was like after THR.....before going away for the week or fortnight. I was OK.....didnt waken up screaming "I want to go home" LOL but thats a lot different from a tent. Good luck with your shopping for a bed

Love
    Hileena