Methotrexate tablets/? wrong tablets

Options
lizzie7ne
lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
edited 26. Jun 2010, 15:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I got my usual repeat methotrexate prescription from the chemists.
I take 25 mg a week, (ten x 2.5mg). I was supposed to take it tonight, when I opened the bottle the tablets are not what I usually get, they are slightly larger, slightly brighter yellow and they have no dose written on them. Usually my MTX tablets are a small pale yellow tablet with M, 2.5 scored into them. I havent taken them as I dont know what dose them are and will ring the chemist tomorrow. Anyone else had methotrexate tablets without the dose scored into them.

lizzie

Comments

• lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lynn

I will let you know when I find out, going to ring the chemist tomorrow (and also the Rheumy nurse), if I have been given the wrong dose I will be furious, MTX is a toxic drug to start with, or even worse the wrong tablets. Yes I take folic acid, I get them in a blister pack,yes my folic acid tablets are a yellowy colour but they are much smaller than the supposed MTX tablets I have been given.

I/ll let you know as soon as I find out.

lizzie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I think you are very wise to check.

only yesterday my dad was telling me about a story on the news in his area about a lady who was very very ill from taking not only the wrong dose of MTX but also taking it every day rather than once a week. :shock: :shock: It shocked him as he knows two of us who are taking it and he'd not realised until then how bad it can be if not taken very carefully with all the safeguards that they put in place.

It may be that your tablets are fine, but you need to know before you take them ...... I do hope that the pharmacist is able to reassure you.

hugs
    WOnky xxxx
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Lizzie

My first few batches of Methotrexate were in blister pack however I cannae remember colour or if they were stamped.

My current batch is in loose form, they are small and yellow and have 2.5 stamped on each one. They are made by Orion Corporation.

Sorry not much help and definately think you doing right thing by checking.

Keep us updated.
    Carol
  • carola
    Options
    Actually, just found a blister pack with 2 tabs in it and they too are yellow and stamped with 2.5. They are from Gold Shield pharmacuticals.
  • deborahjane
    deborahjane Member Posts: 120
    Options
    i have noticed methotrexate last time was bigger and differnt colour.i didn,t notice til 2 weeks of taken them.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    just wondering how you got on Lizzie?

did you get any info from your pharmacist?
  • carola
    Options
    Hi Lizzie

Hope you have an ok day today?

Did you get to speak with anyone?

Carol
  • widget
    widget Member Posts: 22
    Options
    My metho changed this month too, I think it is to do with a new supplier. They are larger but flatter looking to me.

Lesley
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi
    I get my metho tabs from hospital as doctor wont prescribe them and they have never had the dose or and thing else on them.
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    I've had at least 3 different 'looking' tablets.......

Ones I have now are larger and no logo or dose size......

Guess they know what they're doing......

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Options
    hiya

mine have just changed too! Much bigger and unmarked now. They look a bit budget too ....

kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis