bath

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 23. Jun 2010, 10:11 in Community Chit-chat archive
ok feet, knees and hips need a bath every so often. but due to trapped nerve in neck end up in so much pain getting out, it not worth it any ideas (i weigh 14 1/2 stone) so oh can not lift me out lol it a catch 22 situation so any ideas would be welcome val
val

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Val, would it be easier if you had a bathing bench inside the bath - if you filled the bath full, you would still be submerged - but it might be easier to get out?

Have you had a chat with an OT about this?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    valval wrote:
    ok feet, knees and hips need a bath every so often. but due to trapped nerve in neck end up in so much pain getting out, it not worth it any ideas (i weigh 14 1/2 stone) so oh can not lift me out lol it a catch 22 situation so any ideas would be welcome val[/quote

Get in touch with Social Services Val, about having a bath lift fitted. Just phone, and they will send someone out to assess........Ange.
  • valval
    Options
    thanks never thought of these . hoping it tempory lol. but might not be so will see how physio goes and if not will try these out
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hi Val

When I did me back in and had my op - I used my kids step (for the loo) put it in and sat on it. Alkmost certainly would be condemed on H&Safety grounds by social services :wink:

You can buy bath boards and seats though easy enough and stick em in teh loft when you is better.

We dont want to have you wiffing :wink:g045.gif

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I haven't been able to get in or out of the bath for years, as my knees no longer bend far enough to give leverage. I suspect the only answer to your dilemma is one of those gizmos that lowers you then raises you. My bath bench sits across the bath, no use for a bath or a shower! VVP uses it as a book rest when he's wallowing. I make do with showers: the thought of sitting in grubby water ain't that appealing now, plus we live in a very dry area of the country and bathing does seem a wasteful use of water - and we're metered! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Val,

Its horrible isn't it not being able to get out... Last bath I had I really was unable for ages... I did manage to but since then have just had showers.....

There are some really good ideas here though so thank you so much for asking and I have taken note of the help here :D

My plan is one day to have a sunken bath with steps :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Luv and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Phew Val, is that your feet :?: Thought it was Toni's brie butty :wink::wink:

Val, if social services or OT take forever to assess you, and you want to buy your own bath board/seat, don't some of the mobility shops sell them VAT free if you have arthritis? Every little helps, eh?

Good luck,
    Lynn xx

HOW very dare you Lynn!!!! :shock: :wink::wink:

My brie butty's smell like - well..... roses!! There!!

DD

We are metered too :!: and there are five of us three teenage girls - heaven help us :?

Should we book Val into mash for a nice baff?? e030.gif

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's a thought - I wonder if skezier has an old sheep dip she don't need no more? DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Could use it in the garden and call it a hot tub ... all the rage evidently...

Speedy

PS DD you could set it up in the shade :idea: 8) 8)
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • valval
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val,

Its horrible isn't it not being able to get out... Last bath I had I really was unable for ages... I did manage to but since then have just had showers.....

There are some really good ideas here though so thank you so much for asking and I have taken note of the help here :D

My plan is one day to have a sunken bath with steps :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Luv and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx

this for when i win lottery lol great idea
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Surely a sunken bath with steps is called a swimming pool (shallow end, of course.) DD
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val,

Cris

I remember only months ago that you did have a sunken bath!! It was in a field where it got rather muddy and you could not see very well. :shock:

Trish xxx
  • valval
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val,

Cris

does that meen i have to go in the garden and dig a hole no way lol

I remember only months ago that you did have a sunken bath!! It was in a field where it got rather muddy and you could not see very well. :shock:

Trish xxx
    val
  • trisher
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    That's a thought - I wonder if skezier has an old sheep dip she don't need no more? DD

She does not use sheep dips

Trish x
  • valval
    Options
    sheep dip no way
    t9617.gif
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Trisher post at 19.24 - what was it then?

Trisher post at 19.25 - my mistake.

It was meant to be a joke. My apologies. DD
  • trisher
    Options
    DD

They do not do that I think you will find they put something on their wool and it sinks into the wool and I think they also rub their tummies and this get all the nasty's out of them.

I think I have it right.

Trishx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Val, If your struggling luv i'd suggest being refered to OT or social services.
    I got seen pretty quickily & within days i have my bathlift delivered & installed. Now i can rub-a dub-dub in me tub as much as i like & its been a great help.

If thats not ideal then they can put in for a disablity Facalities Grant for a walk in shower. This optiion takes longer.

As for metered water, your water board should run a scheme called water source (thats what its called here) It sets a top rate for your water & your bill wont go over that amount. you still pay for what you use if under the set amount but not over (havent explain that well as im so tired) If you have a disability that makes you need to use more water or on certain benefits you can applie. Also for electric you can go on the lowest tariff BG its called Essentials tariff Takes 10% off your bill, every littles a help.
    I hope thats some help to someone.
    debs
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Val,

My aunt had one....it was lovely and had 2 steps..... I could get out of one of those :lol::lol::lol: Could do the beaching whale thing if necessary :lol::lol::lol: xx

Hi DD

She said g045.gif you are welcome to theirs :lol::lol: I think you would be easier to lift in but well.... that's a job for your oh..... :lol::lol: Hey wouldn't it be good to have a swimming pool.... You know I got the space..... will put it on my one day list :wink: ((( ))) and a hope your dong ok? xx

Hi Trish,

had a few sunken ones like that... mud is meant to be good for the skin eh? Its not if my face is anything to go on :lol::lol::lol: ((( ))) xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hey wouldn't it be good to have a swimming pool....

Oh yes Cris it would ... dream on - my garden is small and a good proportion is taken up with S's trampoline.

Speedy
  • skezier
    Options
    Hey Speedy if I ever get one you will be welcome to swim in it. With my luck if there ever was one it would have a horse in it with in the week..... I would have to have a ramp instead of steps :lol::lol::lol: xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Perhaps you could pioneer foaling-pools for mares?! That would bring in a pound or two from the rich and famous ..

:?: :?: :!: :?: :?:

Speedy
  • trisher
    Options
    valval wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val,

this for when i win lottery lol great idea

Val

Get the Occupational Health have a word with them Val.

You could do with the electric ones. If you can sit on it turn around then press the button to lower yourself down have your bath then press the button to come up.

They do have ones that you can move the back back so you can soak in the bath.

Are you under the hossy still Val if you are ask them if not ask your doctor if he can get onto them tell him why.

Trish xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val,

Cris

Trish xxx

Yeah

You're right Trisher - and was she gratefull??? No!!

:wink::wink::wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    trisher wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val,

Cris

Trish xxx

Yeah

You're right Trisher - and was she gratefull??? No!!

:wink::wink::wink:

Love

Toni xx

No she bl***y wasn't :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: xx