hi

Options
marooned
marooned Member Posts: 68
edited 23. Jun 2010, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi not been on for a while my daughter started the mtx and has had regular blood tests, they show she is anaemic and also low irons level , yesterdays bloods also showed that there is still inflamation she is on 8 a week and has ben taking them for 6 weeks, they also prescribed some more yesterday sulphazine or words to that effect, which she has to start taking after she comes back off holiday in a weeks time does anyone no how long the mtx takes to get in the system also the sulp one, has antone tried that and what side effects ect , :lol:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Marooned

I havent tried these, but am glad to see you.

Hoping your daughter is doing ok?

Obvioulsy not 100% ofr they wouldnt be adding the sulfa.

Someone will be along soon to help you a bit more

LOve

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Meth can take up to 12 weeks to kick in, as can sulph. Just because one's taking them does not mean they will be effective, however - people vary in their response to them. I was on iron tablets for months before levels were acceptable. These things take time. The blood tests will keep monitoring everything, so be consistent with them, pain tho they are! I wish her well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marooned
    Options
    thankyou its just so frustrating, she is feeling a bit brighter now but will be glad when she can get back to riding, she has had the horses shoes off, but i am hoping the holiday does her good and that the tablets soon kick in, the doctors have been good, she made the nurse laugh yesterday the nurse said would you like me to go over the mtx again my daughters reply was no to be honest ime sick of hearing about it lol :)
    thanks
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I agree with DD above, it takes about 12 weeks before anything is noticed. It is important that she takes Folic Acid as well to help with any side effects.

She probably is fed up with talking about the pills and problems. Not everyone wants to 'talk through' their illness, so have a good holiday, relax, enjoy and trust her to keep you informed of any problems. The most important thing is to keep taking the meds as prescribed, even when she feels OK, as that's when you think you don't need them. But you do!

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I am not on mtx so can't advise on that but am on sulpha. It actually worked quite quickly for me - within a couple of weeks but I think it's more usual for it to take a few months.

I do hope your daughter can get back to riding soon - my 15-yr old daughter has a horse and I know she would be devastated if she had to stop.

My cousin has had RA for 35 years now, but is still able to ride her horses so I will keep my fingers crossed for her. I'm sure the holiday will have done her the world of good too.

Lois x
  • marooned
    Options
    THANKYOU, SHE WANTS TO DO EVENTING SO FINGERS CROSSED
    HOPEFULLY SHE WILL BE BACK RIDING SOON,
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey, I was perscribed sulpha on its own, took it for about a month.. felt fine, actually felt really good (not sure if it had anything to do with the med or just a natural thing) but 2 weeks ago my bloods came back weird so im off it until thursday and then we'll see.

But my point was, I didn't feel bad on the pills so im sure your daughter will be fine and they hopefully will help make the mtx work better, good luck!
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Marooned

Hope your daughter enjoys her holiday and the methotrexate and sulfasalazine kick in soon..

I am constantly on the verge of being anaemic (I have RA), so I take a liquid iron and vitamin supplement (floradix) which seems to work fairly quickly and has no side effects ..

best wishes

Marion
  • marooned
    Options
    yep she is anaemic and low iron the doc sed the anemia may just be down to th RA not any meds, they are monitoring it, she has gone to turkey with her 2 bropthers and apparantly its in the 40s, hopefully it will give her a boost and she starts the sulph tabs when she comes back.
    :P