Acupuncture

Options
silverbreak
silverbreak Member Posts: 46
edited 22. Jun 2010, 12:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've encountered what is I guess the usual reluctance of Hospital consultants to get involved in treating/discussing OA but after writing to my GP describing my pain etc I eventually got referred to - surprise surprise a physio. Right from the outset the physio admitted there wasn't much they could offer but as the NHS was funding 6 visits theyd go thru the motions. So far I've had ultrasound,TENS and now acupunture. I realise there is no specific cure for OA but where do I go from here? Reflexology? Origami?

Comments

• rosebud
    rosebud Member Posts: 52
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

accupuncture didn't work for my wrist so I've now been offered a steroid injection not sure if that would be an option for you?
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Silverbreak

Are you on any painkillers and anti inflammatory meds? Do you take any sort of exercise? I am not sure where you have the OA. Physio can help sometimes, so can acupuncture. I have heard good reports about acupucture for back problems....

Steriod injections can work well but only for a length of time ie a few weeks to a few months. Injections via xray direction are often beneficial because this way the consultant can "hit" the exact area giving the problems. I have had this done on my neck and lower back which was successful, so far, so good. :)

I find stretching exercises daily, help me immensely to keep going. I have a daily regime that takes up just under one hour in all, quite time consuming but I find it very worthwhile. This includes hooping and exercise bike as well.I cycle around locally too as well as walking. (More walking since my two total knee replacements in the last two years), I am not overweight, if that is worth anything in the equation. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It may be worth considering adding fish oils to your diet, eg cod liver capsules, chondroitin and/or glucosamine. These do help some people to keep their joints 'oiled' and therefore more flexible. There is no cure for OA, or RA or PA or any other A one cares to mention, that's just the way it is. The treatments we all undergo are designed to alleviate symptoms and slow the progress of the disease. That's it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • englishrose
    englishrose Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Some years ago I had acupuncture as I had neck problems due to OA - it was truly fantastic. Even now I have no problem in that area. However I am having problems with back pain betweem shoulder blades and I am presently looking for someone to do acupuncture. (Have moved from Cornwall to Devon so need a new contact. Give it a chance - do hope it works for you.
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I've encountered what is I guess the usual reluctance of Hospital consultants to get involved in treating/discussing OA but after writing to my GP describing my pain etc I eventually got referred to - surprise surprise a physio. Right from the outset the physio admitted there wasn't much they could offer but as the NHS was funding 6 visits theyd go thru the motions. So far I've had ultrasound,TENS and now acupunture. I realise there is no specific cure for OA but where do I go from here? Reflexology? Origami?

Hi

I am a bit sceptical about acupuncture but if it works for you ok. I found TENS ok but did not treat diffuse pain. I have started to have a body massage with armotherapy oils and that seems to relieve pain and tension.

P
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    This is such a problem: what works for one does nothing for another. TENs is useless for me, acupuncture didn't do much, a flirtation with homeopathy lined her pockets and emptied mine, but my friend Veronica, a sports-massage therapist hurts me like hell and does some good. You just have to keep trying until you find what works for you. Origami would keep your fingers supple, perhaps. DD
  • silverbreak
    silverbreak Member Posts: 46
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    This is such a problem: what works for one does nothing for another. TENs is useless for me, acupuncture didn't do much, a flirtation with homeopathy lined her pockets and emptied mine, but my friend Veronica, a sports-massage therapist hurts me like hell and does some good. You just have to keep trying until you find what works for you. Origami would keep your fingers supple, perhaps. DD

thanks everyone, sorry was feeling a bit sorry for my self this morning. It's mostly my spine that gives me pain. I had the cervical spine fused following an accident 30years ago and now its my lumbar spine - usual stuff constant aches, soreness, numbness, etc etc. am on solpadol and occasional diazepam for muscle spasms
    but just some days it doesn't seem worth while carrying on.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There is nothing worse than back pain, apart from more back pain. We're all in constant pain here, we know how you feel. It is draining and demoralising, the tiredness is exhausting, and people without constant pain do not hav a bl***y clue. Perhaps you need stronger painkillers, there are so many types out there. Is that an option? DD