upgraded to higher pain killer

Options
coco67
coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
edited 23. Jun 2010, 04:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
came away from the drs yesterday with naproxen 500mg, co-dydromol and mirtazapine, the later being to help me sleep, aparently its a side effect :?

any one else using these or know of them

Comments

• border
    border Member Posts: 94
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    coco67 wrote:
    came away from the drs yesterday with naproxen 500mg, co-dydromol and mirtazapine, the later being to help me sleep, aparently its a side effect :?

I don't know mirtazpine but I found Co-dydromel just did not work for me at all. Co-codamol/paracetomol high strength were more effective an then I had and still have gabapentine for nerve pain which improved matters even further.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Hiya

I have tried naproxen and co-dydramol, but not the mirtazipine, but I think it's like my amitriptyline. Should really help.

Will cross my fingers for you that you get some releif.

Love

Toni xx
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    Mirtazapine is an anti-depressant with sleepiness as a big side-effect. I've been on it for depression for nearly a year and it has helped my sleep enormously. I sleep for about 11 hours a night due to that and some other drugs. Without the other drugs I'd say I slept for about 7 hours on the mirtazapine alone, which was a big improvement on the 2-3 hours I'd been having prior to it.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sleep is a problem thanks to hot flushes and pain. Last night they took it in turns to wake me, little darlings. This despite a double dose of tramadol. Oh, **** it all. I would far rather be a bloke with PA. That has to be easier! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • coco67
    Options
    thankyou everyone, and thankyou scatered, 5-7 hrs sleep sounds like luxury to me so i will give them a go and hopefull sleep.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Coco, hope new combination works for you.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    DD, time for that combo involving white wine and meds that had you floating and sleeping the whole night through again.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • silverbreak
    silverbreak Member Posts: 46
    Options
    coco67 wrote:

Hi yep am on Mirtazapine 45mg sure helps you sleep, it's keeping awake during the day thats a prob. hopefully Doc told you to take Mirta. at night?
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi

Can't advise on the Codrydramol but I also take Naproxen and Mirtazapine 30mg. The first is an anti inflam. which does seem to be helping my OA a little as I soon know if I forget to take it through the day. As others have said Mirtazapine is prescribed for depression but I too found it certainly helps me to sleep well. If I take it early evening I don't feel groggy in the morning as have to up at 7 when at work. :shock: Hope you find they help you.

Take care
    Chris
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Options
    I have been on co -dydromol, but I couldn't take them because they didn't suit me, I was on naproxen, then celebrex,
    but I have been taken off all anti-inflammatory because they have discovered I have a damaged kidney & they don't want to damage the other kidney.
    I wish I could take something for the inflammation it kills
    but I suppose I have to live with it. :roll:
    Suex
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I can't take anti-inflammatories either, as they caused an ulcer in my duodenum and it burst, leaving me with a major emergency op and a month in hospital (some in high dependency. I admit to taking the odd ibroprophane if I am really bad, but not often. I think I was just unlucky, especally as I was sent home with a laxitive the first time the doctor at the hospital saw me! The next day, well I don't remember. :shock:

I'm on tramadol slow release now and amatriptyline to help me sleep. Love :wink:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Coco,

I have found diclo's very good with inflammation. They are the forerunner I believe of naproxin? I did find the co-whats its not very good and was changed but we are all different and fingers crossed it works for you. Let us know please. Cris x
  • coco67
    Options
    i actually got 6 1/2 hrs sleep last night for the first time in many years, may have slept a bit longer had i not had to get up with the kids for school. heals and neck giving me hell today though. will let you know how the pain relief goes. thankyou everyone for your support. x
  • speedalong
    Options
    That is excellent news about the sleep!! :D

Let's hope pain relief kicks in too ...

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm glad you had some rest, let's hope that continues. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben