Sulphasalazine and nausea

Options
robertls
robertls Member Posts: 2,304
edited 24. Jun 2010, 14:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've built up from 1 x 500mg to 4 x 500mg/day...
been of max. dose for 6 days now and for last 10 days had really bad nausea.........not been sick, but from morning 'til bedtime feel like I'm about to 'throw up'......

And very tired........some days won't drive as I feel that dozy.....

Any advise or help would be really appreciated.....

Rob x
Roba045.gif

Comments

• wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rob, sorry to hear you're suffering.

I did suffer some nausea in the first couple of weeks of being on 4 daily, but not as bad as you. Might be worth asking your GP for anti-nausea tablets to keep you going until your body accepts the meds a bit better.

I also had the overwhelming tiredness - GP just said it was the battle between the RA and meds causing it and I think I'm not as tired as at first.

Hopefully it will all be worth it and you start experiencing the benefits soon!

Lois x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Tiredness is a side effect of arthritis - your body is putting all its energy into hurting you, that's what it does. The meds are supposed to counter-act these things but they can take ages to start working, and sometimes the progress is so imperceptible you cannot feel it/see it Anti-emetics is a good idea. See what your doc says, it can't do any harm. I wish you well - hang on in there. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi Rob
    I'm sorry that you are suffering with nausea, you need to see your GP or Rheumy for anti-nausea medication. I suffered badly from nausea whilst on Sulfa. I have had to stop taking it because the nausea was so bad that I could hardly go out. I'm on my second type of anti-nausea med as the first one wasn't strong enough. Arthurs bad enough without added extra's. hopefully it will settle down. I found drinking Lemon and ginger tea helped. Fay
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good point, I forgot about that. Ginger is a good anti-emetic. The Husband peels a small chunk of fresh ginger and drops it into a mug of boiling water. A few minutes later one has a fresh ginger infusion which is actually rather tasty! He leaves the chunk in, I take mine out. 'Tis a matter of personal taste.

I hope you are feeling a little better today robertls, but I suspect you won't be. It is hard going, I realise that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Hi Rob

good to see you :D

Sorry you feel so rough.

Get the GP to prescribe you a decent antiemetic if you dont want to try DD's ginger infusion :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Rob - sorry you are feeling so sick. You may find it will go off once your body gets used to the Sulphasalazine. I had shocking headaches and nausea when I first started taking Sulphasalazine but, after a few weeks on the full dose, these symptoms disappeared and I took it for many years after that with no problems at all. As others have said the tiredness may well be the arthritis rather than the drug and you may find that once the drug starts to work, the tiredness improves too. I know it's hard to put up with the side effects while you are waiting - sometimes months - for a drug to start working, but really hope it does work for you and that you do feel better soon.
    Love Tilly x