Rhumy visit.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
Hi, I have OA of my patella diagnosed post op over two years ago, well at long last I was sent to see a rhumy, now he didn't do any blood tests just examined me and told me I didn't have RA, now should I have had a blood test or not?, if so what should I do about it?.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    strange this would have thought he would have done blood tests or have your doc done them??????
    val
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    No Val it's bloody odd I saw my GP afterwards and he asked about it but never said I should have had them, the whole experience was just like my visit to the private pain clinic really strange, but hey that's how things go with me, I mean it only took 27 years to get my neck pain identified so by the time they clock what type of arthritis I have I will probably have been dead for 10 flippin years. :roll:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    No Val it's bloody odd I saw my GP afterwards and he asked about it but never said I should have had them, the whole experience was just like my visit to the private pain clinic really strange, but hey that's how things go with me, I mean it only took 27 years to get my neck pain identified so by the time they clock what type of arthritis I have I will probably have been dead for 10 flippin years. :roll:

know that feeling well not had xrays or mri scans they just look at me and say oa do blood and say some inflimation great but what the heck does that meen lol
    val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    Options
    Hi melman,

I wonder whether you'd like to talk over what's happened in a bit more detail? What it really comes down to is exactly why the GP was referring to rheumatology. If there was a doubt about the diagnosis - ie if the GP thought there might have been an inflammatory arthritis present in addition to the oa then the GP would have mentioned that in the referral letter. Also it's normal for GPs to do some blood tests before the referral - ESR, CRP, RF, FBC are the ones they often do. If the results show things then the rheumatologist can go into further detail.

Sometimes there are complications in additon to the oa, for example fibromyalgia and that might be another reason for a rheumatology referral. That kind of condition is not diagnosed by blood test.

But more than anything we are here to listen to you and to signpost to services. We also can help you get your questions clear to put to the doctors if you want.
    All the best
    Guy