how to get past the receptionist?

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 6. Jul 2010, 07:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
So, 6 weeks into being a Mum my RA has come back with a vengence making caring for Harry a bit tricky to say the list. My hands and feet are terrible making lifting him difficult and painful, so is my neck and ankles (or cankles as my hubbie calls them).
Cue call to the consultant to request an SOS appt as agreed to be told he's away for the week. Fine. So rang back yesterday to get an appt to be met with a receptionist nazi. She was very rude and kept sighing deeply when I explained myself.
Now I appreciate that the consultant is mega busy and I know how they want to do things and practically its not always possible. I used to work in a hospital, making appts with stroppy patients and sometimes it was a nightmare to fit people in with the consultants timetable. However, there is no reason to be rude! It left me in tears as I was really struggling and slightly sleep deprived!
We were at the hospital today for another appt and we called into rheumatology and met the usual really friendly receptionists (horrid one was at lunch!) who got me an appt without a problem. Why couldn't that happen yesterday?

Anyone got any good/bad experiences with receptionists?

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jenzie

I'm so sorry to hear this. Can or have you tried the Rhuemmy nurse? At our hospital we have an emergency number to ring as well.

Not sure if you have these or have tried the r'heummy nurse she can get you on an emergency list.

I hope this helps you.

Will your GP help get you an appointment?

I do hope it gets sorted as soon as it can

Love Trish xxxxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Jensie

Just had another idea have you tried ringing your //consultants Secretary. You can ask to speak to her then tell her what it is about and you need to see him ASAP she might be able to get you on an emergency list to see him.

I hope this might help you

Love Trish xxx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Jensie so sorry you are flaring up and in a lot of pain and having a baby that you just want to pick up without it being painfull is just not fair. Trish has given you some good advice sending ((((((hugs)))))) to you and Harry, hope your pain eases very soon.

Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Options
    I have not seen my rheumy for two years, then found out why my consultant left the hospital.
    My doctor decided to make me an urgent appointment ,
    do to my symptoms getting worse,
    I received a phone call from a very pleasant lady
    on Monday 3rd may asking if I could attend an appointment on Saturday May 8th, I was over the moon :) the same lady rang me back on the Thursday to say she was sorry but they had cancelled the clinic,I was so disappointed.
    Then 2 weeks ago I still hadn't received any appointment so decided to ring the hospital to find out when they were going to send for me,the woman that I spoke to was so nasty said I hadn't turned up for my appointment, I tried to explain about someone calling to say it was cancelled, but she was having none of it, told me she could not help me to go back to me GP.
    I came off the phone in tears, so decided to ring consultants secretary.
    Had the shock of my life it was the same woman I had just spoke to, She said haven't I just spoke to you, I said yes & I am very upset, why is that then she said, I explained why then she said I know nothing about the cancellations, the clinic went ahead, it must have been when they thought he was going to be stuck in Jordan.
    we will no longer be having a rheumatologist clinic at the hospital, because the PCT are taking it over so it will be in the community from now on, but I will get you in when available.
    I saw my GP told her about what had been said, so she sent this lady a nasty letter telling her it was not my fault, when I'd been told the clinic was cancelled so asked for another appointment ASAP.
    I received a letter today for September 17th is that urgent :roll:
    I've rung my doctor today who is probably as fed up as me,
    RANT OVER
    Sue xx
  • joann1
    joann1 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    I had a nightmare with a secretary, the consultant had told me to keep ringing her to make sure that he didnt foget about me and the results that he was waiting for (to see if i needed to have both legs broken), i rang the sec this one time and she actually said to me that there was more than just me that the consultant saw & she would get round to my results when she had time!! lets just say the next time i saw this paticular consultant i let him no exactly what had happened with his sec, im pleased to say i am no longer under him & no longer need to have my legs broken although im sure his sec would have quite happily done that for me haha
    Jo-Ann
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Jenzie, it does make me wonder why such people work with the public?!! Sorry she upset you so much.

I would get the name of the nice receptionist and ask for her when you phone up in the future. Could report other one to PALS. My GP receptionists are VILE and very un-PC especially to S ...

Glad you went back and got an appointment sorted ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    HI Jen

So very glad to hear from you

Also very glad you got your apt.

Not so glad that you met a nasty receptionist. They are a 'special breed' of people you know.... as you already know some patients can be vile, but You weren't :(

How is that gorgeous baby :?: :D

Love

Toni xx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I'd tried the rheumy nurse, unfortunately the normal rheumy nurse is on long term sick, so the stand in is doing her best under difficult circumstances. She wasn't hugely helpful but to be honest I just need to see the consultant to get the drug program started.

I have to say that the other two or three receptionists are lovely and as helpful as they can be. It was just unfortunate that I got the one that sounded like a bulldog chewing a wasp. She is apparently well known for not being a people person, perhaps she needs to go on a course?! I will give feedback to the consultant.

My baby boy is doing really well, thanks Toni. He's currently fast asleep on his changing mat on the floor dressed in just a vest as he's a little warm (he's not interested in the football - likes the tennis though!). We had our first family day out today and I did some alfresco breastfeeding which was a little odd but it was lovely as we sat in the dappled shade eating ice cream. Unfortunately, hubbie has to go back to work tomorrow.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    HI Jen

What a lovely lovely little family I picture :)

So glad you are enjoying him - he sounds a real bless :)

Shame hubby has to go back to work though :(

Hope you get some meds asap

Love

Toni xx
  • joann1
    joann1 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Im a gp receptionist but im lvly (not giving myself a big head),
    i try my best to help every1, i no what the majority of the patients are going thru, at the min thou im fighting to keep my job as they are trying to prove that im unfit for the job!!!!!!!

Jo-Ann
    x
    Jo-Ann
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    The consultants' secretaries (invariably female) are the
    most friendly and powerful people at the hospitals which
    serve the districts where I live. Speak to them; they can work
    wonders with the appointment lists
    e.g. I had an appointment to see my consultant on 21st
    September next which last week I found I could no longer keep.
    From past experience I phoned the secretary who immediately
    was able to make an appointment for 10-45am TODAY 6th July a
    five day wait.
    I've just returned happy and very satisfied with the service.
    I also make appointments with the bloods test nurse direct
    and order repeat prescriptions using the answerphone system.
    You might realise that my approach is Avoid receptionists whenever
    and wherever possible. Good luck.