RA, anti-tnf and skin rashes...help!

Options
cornishman
cornishman Member Posts: 34
edited 26. Jun 2010, 06:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Dear Forum

Over the last year I have been experiencing severe dry skin irritations, mainly on my back but can be on legs and feet, arms. What with the weather being so warm lately its become worse...I blame the Enbrel anti-tnf treatment or the Rheumy Arthritis (RA) itself or both!..as the cause to this horrible skin condition.

I am curious if any other RA sufferers have experiences of this condition? the side effects from Enbrel similar to what I am experiencing. I have to avoid the Summer sun which is a sad in itself and use moisturiser in the bucket load. I am inclined to stop the TNF treatment and see if it helps... but by the time I can figure that if it is too blame I will be in the pain zone with the RA for sure.

My head is spinning... any thoughts?

Kind Regards, David :roll:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    First thought that springs to mind is psoriasis. That's dry, red, scaly and can be itchy. Have you shown the rash to a pharmacist or a doctor? That would seem to be a logical step. DD (who has Psoriatic Arthritis, which is very similar to RA but with the added benefit of psoriasis.)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    First thought that springs to mind is psoriasis. That's dry, red, scaly and can be itchy. Have you shown the rash to a pharmacist or a doctor? That would seem to be a logical step. DD (who has Psoriatic Arthritis, which is very similar to RA but with the added benefit of psoriasis.)

First thought in my mind too.

Need to see doc while it is good and visible eh?

Take care Dave

Love

Toni xx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Dave

I would suggest it is ezcema, not sure if enbrel is the cause. I am on enbrel, never had this myself. You will be better off going to GP for a diagnosis.

E45 cream is good or there is another one that comes in a big pot, the name escapes me, sorry, chemist will know.

Don't stop enbrel at all Dave, you could start a flare and it may mean the enbrel will stop working when u restart it. Not worth the pain etc coming back.

Janie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Was going to say is it Drontal Janie....!!!!

But it's dermal??

I had some from the docs for my eczma and somehydrochortizone too.

Love

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi David

The other cream as well as E45 is aqueous cream which you can get from any shop and its dirt cheap (Can get it for as little as 99p for 500ml)......

It is a dermalogical skin product - I use it cos Ive got an auto immune disease which means I am allergic to lots of things and also exposure to sustainted sunlight....

As its cheap as chips its worth getting a tub and it is very useful and calms skin down lots....

Elaine
    cornishman wrote:
    Dear Forum

Over the last year I have been experiencing severe dry skin irritations, mainly on my back but can be on legs and feet, arms. What with the weather being so warm lately its become worse...I blame the Enbrel anti-tnf treatment or the Rheumy Arthritis (RA) itself or both!..as the cause to this horrible skin condition.

I am curious if any other RA sufferers have experiences of this condition? the side effects from Enbrel similar to what I am experiencing. I have to avoid the Summer sun which is a sad in itself and use moisturiser in the bucket load. I am inclined to stop the TNF treatment and see if it helps... but by the time I can figure that if it is too blame I will be in the pain zone with the RA for sure.

My head is spinning... any thoughts?

Kind Regards, David :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    ebk is quite right, it does work very well. E45 brings me out in a rash - horrible stuff! DD
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Elaine

Aqueous cream!! Phew it was doing my head in trying to remember the name of it.

Dave, e45 is very good, doesn't seem to suit DD but it may help for you. You can get both of these on prescription if you get them free, so that'll be a bonus as well. Hope that you get sorted.
  • cornishman
    cornishman Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks everyone who responded to my post...all very helpful!

Kind Regards, David
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Did you see a doc? What is the rash? DD