Methotrexate injection - did it all go in?

Options
marion1952
marion1952 Member Posts: 963
edited 23. Jun 2010, 14:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi you methotrexate experts

I did my usual injection (15 mg) last night just before I went to bed and first of all the needle seemed a bit blunt and it was hard to inject (or maybe the fat on my stomach is too thick!) - when it did go in it was quite 'painful' (well, not really, but I felt it more than usual) - then, when I removed the needle a bit of the drug (yellow fluid) had 'leaked' onto my tummy.. Given that the amount in the syringe is only small anyway, I wasn't sure how much I had actually injected!!

Finally, about 30 minutes later whilst trying to get to sleep, I felt quite nauseous (I don't usually)..

Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen (ie the leakage of the drug and the wave of nausea half an hour later??)

I have been injecting for about 18 months now without any problems..

Look forward to your comments!

Marion

Comments

• scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I frequently get beads of the medication left on my stomach. It's nothing to worry about - the injection has worked perfectly, it's just residue left on the end of the needle that then 'leaks' out.

The nausea sounds like typical MTX nausea. It comes and goes. Some weeks I'm absolutely fine, others I feel awful.

I hope you feel better now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I suspect the bulk of it was injected marion, I used to get dribbles from the enbrel and there's always a little moisture after humira. Meth is quite thick, isn't it - or at least it looks gloopy up at the hospital! These things happen. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    When I first started injecting I used to get an odd drop or so every now and then. I find that by keeping the needle in the skin for an extra few seconds after I've injected, it does'nt happen any more.
    Funny how a lot of us are feeling sicker than usual. I've been struggling all day since I gave mine. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
    rita :)
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Thanks folks .. I am reassured about the 'leak' - perhaps I removed the needle too soon.. I usually count to 10 before taking it out, but perhaps I did a quick count!!

My syringes are the metoject pre-filled one .. I have heard complaints before about (some of) their needles being a bit blunt..

Have had to have a lie down just now because of another wave of nausea - as Speedalong says, strange that some of us who don't usually suffer from nausea are suffering this week!

Probably my body is telling me that the maximum dose I can tolerate is 15 mgs...

Best wishes

Marion