10 weeks THR update

Options
denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 28. Jun 2010, 15:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys
Well its 10 weeks today since my THR and I am finally getting there, for the last few weeks my new joint has been very sore so much so that when I sit on a chair I can feel it if something touches the area of were the new joint is, now its a little better I still can feel its tender but not as bad, I did some housework the other day and boy did I pay for it I finished cleaning at 11.30am and took straight to my bed and stayed there for the rest of the day. I went for physio this morning and he said I am doing ok just need to work on strengthening my muscles at the front of my leg, but I know that my muscle at the back of my leg is still very weak, the physio said it will take time to build up the strength again and I am still walking to one side which I try to work on but its not easy when I go out I am still on crutches so walking with them and remembering to walk straight isnt that easy. I have a appointment with the joint nurses in 2 weeks (my 12 week appt).
Denise.

Comments

• carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Denise

Good to hear of your progress.

Things'll get better and better - onwards and upwards! :lol:

Carol
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Denise

Thanks for your update - it was interesting to read.

I am 7 weeks post-op today and I am starting to feel that the new hip is really 'bedding in' and I am more confident that I won't dislocate it now!!

I'm looking forward to how I will feel next week (8 weeks) - I think that will be another milestone..

Don't worry about still using the crutches - better to feel secure than to take any risks. I will certainly be hanging onto mine !!

Don't do any heavy housework, especially vacuuming and moving furniture about... I know it's tempting, but I think that's a 'no no' for at least 12 weeks I think. (I don't always heed my own advice, by the way!)

I find that if I'm not thinking, I shut the washing machine door with the knee of my new hip and I certainly 'feel' it then.. also, I have a habit of moving the sofa with that knee too - and that has had to stop ...

SOunds like you are getting some good physio advice Denise - that's good.

Please keep in touch - I will be very interested to hear how you are at 12 weeks ..

Take care

Marion
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm glad that you are both getting over your ops! I know it takes an unbelieveable length of time before you manage to receive full benefit and sometimes get the feeling that things are not quite going right!

The only joint surgery I've had is for carpel tunnel. I know thats only a tiny thing compaired to the major ops lots of people on here have had. After about 6 months I went back for a check-up and the surgeon asked if everything was alright and I said yes, but the only thing that slightly bothered me was the numbness around the scar, like a dental injection. He looked at me and smiled before saying that any surgery takes at least a year to heal properly and give full benefit, and with the carpel nerve being disturbed, it would take 18 months for the full numbness to go. He was right, its about that now and I've just noticed the other day the its totally back to normal!! :oops: :lol: I've never been very patient!!1 :wink:

So, with operations that replace joints, its no wonder that it will take a while to get better, and I send you lots and lots of Get Well wishes, for a speedy recovery!!! :wink::D

Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Hi Denise

you are doing well arent you.

Amazing how much it takes out of you though isn't it? :roll:

I bET it's hard to walk straight. When I had my back op I walked on tip-toe for months (and i mean months!)

Marion good to hear you are doing ok too.

You take it steady

both of you ahve done really well

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Denise
    so good to hear how well you are doing. :D each 'milestone' conquered takes you closer to your goal, and it sounds as though you are making great progress!

Marion....you sound really positive too.....I like the idea of breaking the tasks down and measuring progress against the number of weeks post op. I'm sure that will help a lot of peeps in similar situations. :mrgreen:

Iris xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Denise,
    sounds like you are doing well. I think the further we get on from our op date the more we try and do and the more we pay... It's hard to get the balance right - doing a bit more, but not too much ...

I too lean to one side/sway as I walk, my physio calls it a Trendelenberg gait, she is getting me to do exercises to help with this which will strengthen the muscles in the op leg. I walk with one crutch - using it on the opposite side to my op and when I use the crutch the limp is less, it is still very pronounced if I walk round the house without any sticks.

I'm pleased you are having physio - I think we are both lucky in the respect,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hiya
    Yeah the physio did say it could take up to 12 months to really feel the benefit (ha and I am complaining about it taking so long up to now).
    Marion - I felt a improvement at 7 weeks too and then again at 10 weeks.
    Denise.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done to you denpen, and marion also. These are huge operations aren't they, but you do have the goal of a relatively pain-free existence and that can only be a good thing. Hang on to the crutches for as long as you need them because they do offer security and they help with balance. I think you are both to be commended for your progress. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi denpen,
    You sound as if you are coming on well. I'm about 4 and a half months post op and I still find that I stagger a bit when weaving through crowds.....I dont have a physio to talk to.....after I was discharged ..that was it so just ploughing on and hoping eventually I'll be able to walk straight. Keep at it girl you sound as if you're doing well

Love
    Hileena