Grrrrr Silent Calls

Options
cthornley
cthornley Member Posts: 627
edited 25. Jun 2010, 07:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
We are suffering from persistent silent calls at the moment all with impeccable timing!!

I am at my wits end i'm forever dashing (well hobbling) as fast as I can for the phone only to find nobody there.
I registered with the TPS years ago and it had been fine until a couple of months ago and then 2 weeks ago every evening 2 or 3 silent calls, usually at my sons bedtime or bathtime or as we are sitting down to dinner or when i'm chatting to somebody at the door

I've been told that I only have 3 choices - change our number, pay £2.50 a month to block all anonymous numbers (but this would block the hospital & gp & my dads calls too) or put up with it

reluctantly i'm having to go with option 3 as the others are just even more of a hassle but grrr if i ever find out what company it is i'm going to tear a strip! :x

ok moan over
Chrissie

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    if you have caller display on your line and they haven't withheld their number (sometimes they are daft and don't withhold it :wink: ) then you can look the number up on a website called 'who calls me' and see if others have had the same problem and maybe found out who is making the calls.

At least that way you know who / what it is about.

hope that helps a bit
    wonky xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    We get the random dialled calls of a machine that starts with long silence. If you leave it to ring eight times without picking up it will ring off, alternatively an answer machine is a good solution as it will pick up the call for you and then the random dial computer hangs up.

Another way to deal with it is to ask family and friends to give you three rings, hang up and then ring you again and this way you'll know it's a known caller. This doesn't solve the hosital/GP calling but will help with the silent calls.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Contact the TPS and re-register. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Do what i do tell them its their money they are wasting & leave phone on check it later to see if they have gone! :roll:
    Or blow a whistle down the phone Ive not tried that one yet :idea:
    Good Luck Maria
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Chrissie,

Oh they are so annoying and do the rounds persistently for days..... Its like some kind of 'torture' I think...... mobile keeps ringing and the silence which is actually preferable to them speaking as that's like being bludgeoned int having their product!

I hate i and ended u[ yelling at one company it was a form of harassment! They kept ringing and whilst I appreciate cold caller people are on commission..... well....... I just wish they would basically go away!

Answer phones are the 'cure' bu you still have the phone ringing and ringing and ringing!

Hope they soon stop. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Chrissie

Blumin annoying arent they?

Because there's no-one there you cant evn get your revenge!! So cant whistle at them which i would LOVE to :wink:

My Mum used to talk to cold callers....by the eck could she talk (it's an inherited condition talking too much), fair wore THEM down :wink:

Hope they stop soon.

Love

Toni xx
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    i had there calls too, on my caller display it comes up as "out of area calls" so i just dont answer it, i got choose to refuse on my line, so i can block who i want only thing is it will only block numbers that show, i dont want to take the option of blocking witheld numbers as my son's school is a withheld number,

i know what you mean though its so annoying as i had also withheld numbers ring and not leave a message grrr

bt should but wont do anything, we pay our bills they should grr
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I get them as well, always when I'm busy, cannot change our number as its my husbands business number,
    I hate it when they ring and you answer and then it starts ringing probably means they ring but you pay for the call, I now just hang up or wait until they answer then ring up before they get going :x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    There is anothe option
    option 4 talk to the police they can sort it out for ypou and trace the caller. We had the same problem and that not only fixed it but we found out who it was.
    Colin
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    thanks everybody for the advice
    We have done all the things you are supposed to like joining TPS but we've just had a recent spate - we thought it was just in the evenings but it turns out its actually all day, i've been at home today and every half hour or so i've been called, less hang ups tho so i've taken all of their details to report to the TPS and told them to remove us from their databases.....its time consuming but hopefully it might help.
    I've found out you call also register for silent call guard - you can link through from TPS so lets see if it makes a difference
    Chrissie