Formula for babies

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 25. Jun 2010, 10:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
Anyone got any suggestions as to which one is the best for introducing with breastmilk?

Mega struggling at the mo. Feet the size of watermelons, just two giant balls of throbbing pain. Hands, wrists and neck all following suit. Just got to hang on in there til Monday when the consultant will wave his magic wand, right?

Harry is not liking the heat so is not sleeping very well and he's eating like a horse (every 2hrs for up to an hour at a time). Off to bed in a mo as I'm completely pooped and finding everything hard today. Hoping for a better one tomorrow.

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry Jen I cannot help either. It is been a long time since I had mine and it has changed so much.

Do as Jan has said get onto the health visitor.

I really hope they can do something for your pain. I will keeps my fingers crossed for you.

Love Trish xxx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Jen, Jan's right you are best asking your health visiter as there are so many to choose from. Let me know if you need me in your pocket when you go to see your consultant.

Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Yep definitely ask today's experts............40 years ago I was an expert on the subject, but 40 years is a long time!

Annie
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    Anyone got any suggestions as to which one is the best for introducing with breastmilk?

Mega struggling at the mo. Feet the size of watermelons, just two giant balls of throbbing pain. Hands, wrists and neck all following suit. Just got to hang on in there til Monday when the consultant will wave his magic wand, right?

Harry is not liking the heat so is not sleeping very well and he's eating like a horse (every 2hrs for up to an hour at a time). Off to bed in a mo as I'm completely pooped and finding everything hard today. Hoping for a better one tomorrow.

oh dear I feel for you I remember being there with my son.
    Are you on steroids at all - that was my saving grace when I was pregnant and then breastfeeding(BF)

we did introduce formula at the same time as BF to enable other people to help when I was suffering - we used Aptimal and it was fine but you may need to go through a period of trial and error (don't buy huge quantities to start with) to find one that works for your baby. You may find its the bottle rather than the feed that your baby rejects if they've not used one before if thats the case and they've not used one before try introducing it with pumped breastmilk for a transition period
    like the formula you may have to go through trail and error on bottles so just buy 1 or 2 - we were kinda lucky my son prefers the cheapest boots own brand bottles

we found for night feeds pre made formula is great or if you want to save a bit of money - formula dispensers were a godsend (you can get them at mothercare) and a kettle upstairs (when they get older the health visitor assured me that cooled boiled water kept in bottles was fine) - it just means you only have to reach over and grab a bottle rather than marching round the house at night.

hope thats some help and you get some relief soon
    if you have any questions or want to chat please feel free to message me

Chrissie
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I used aptamil as well, was told it was the nearest thing so to speak. I had no problems with it at all. Try to buy your formula from the baby clinic, it's cheaper than the shops!

Janie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:

My Lucy was the only one i managed to breastfeed for any length of time.She ate for ages every few hours too but it turned out she wasnt getting enough during feed time so was still hungry. Is he steadily gaining weight ?
    Then i had to give it up because of the reintroduction of medication anyway.
    Glad you have an appointment for Monday and I am sure that will help you.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    HI Jenzie

Charlie was 2 and half months early and the neonatal unit suggested SMA when my breast milk dried up.

Then with Lucy after breastfeeding I tried it again and it was no good for her.

Ended up on cow and gate :roll:

I would see what the HV is recommending too.

Upsetting when you stop feeding them yourself isnt it? Still in no time at all you are that releived that others can take over for you :wink:

Chrissie mentioned the bottle/teat being relevant too.

Nowadays you can get a set which has a space to put the podwer in so you can take bottle of cooled water ready to add teh powder - for when yo are out and about. Brillinat idea. We made our bottles up once a day and they advise against that now.

Hope the apt for yourself goes ok.

Love

Toni xx
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:

try changing to farleys i think thats what its called, my D when he was a baby did not like sma or cow and gate, but he was put on farleys and what a different baby he was he was never satisfied and always crying, so thats worth a try
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I thought you were asking where babies come from Janzie :shock:

Nx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    I thought you were asking where babies come from Janzie :shock:

Nx
    a065.gifa065.gifa065.gif

Nina :wink:
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Well, it's been 6 years since we had a baby in the house and it never occurred to me at first to think formula milk :D

That's my excuse anyway. That and possibly too much sunshine! Although you can never have too much sunshine IMHO

Nx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    NEVER!!! :D

we were talking ickle baba's dinnie-doo :wink:
    p040.gif

Love

Toni xx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Have got a sleeping baby in my arms so apologies for mistakes.

We've already got him taking a bottle at night with breast milk in as i needed a break and wanted him used to the bottle just in case.

Spoke to HV who said formula is all the same (not ttally convinced as some babies get on better with others). Off to find some ready made stuff this afternoon as Harry was awake every hour again last night and I can't keep that up. I think he's not getting filled up so has wind which wakes him up. Plus he's hot, which doesnt help. I've sewed two muslin cloths together to wrap him in at night otherwise he flaps and wakes up. Its going to get hotter this weekend too! EEk!

Enjoy the sun everyone. Iwill b in the shade, hopefullt with an ice cream!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Aaah!!!

the little sweetie :D

Bet he is hot.

He sounds like Lucy was - v hungry and you just cant give them enough that way.

Hope the formula works out

No suggestions as to the heat except get him in as little clothing as you can when you can - the poor little chap :(

Shade is good :)

Love

Toni xx