RA meds in the news

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 25. Jun 2010, 07:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thought this link might be of interest to RA sufferers, especially newly diagnosed peeps who may have been affected by the NICE guidelines.
Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not at that stage yet but interesting reading. Thanks.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What a mealy-mouthed woman. Bet she doesn't have any form of arthritis, quote: 'Around 87,000 people in England and Wales have severe RA which can (CAN!) have a major impact on quality of life.' Is there anyone around here with severe RA who is carrying on just as before? I think not. Bl**dy beaurocrats. But it is still good news. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    Yes, the news that a wider range of drugs is to be available to RA patients is good news and one that is associated with the new government regime.

Against this we must balance the news that all DLA claimants will be subject to a review of their conditions in 2013. Do people have to lose their benefits to pay for a wider range of drugs?

Some must be asking if we should receive benefits at all if there is less money? We must ask if this is what society wants of us and what level our society is in terms of the capacity and willingness to care for its subjects. The vast majority of those with frail bodies will always be at the bottom end of the income brackets and they will always need more support in the form of medical and financial aid.

8) Its a grin, honest!

Sorry is this a bit heavy so early, I'm sure the kettle will draw me away in a mo!
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    What a mealy-mouthed woman. Bet she doesn't have any form of arthritis, quote: 'Around 87,000 people in England and Wales have severe RA which can (CAN!) have a major impact on quality of life.'

I don't think she meant that remark how you've taken it....... its more like she is informing Joe Public that RA can have a major impact on peoples lives (lets face it most of Joe Public don't understand the condition) and she comments on it being a good move for RA sufferers. I think she's on our side in a positive way :)

This is a great article, thank you for posting the link.

Jackie
  • airwave
    Options
    Jackie! 1955, what a great year to be born, in a world that was grateful for the end of the war and were looking forwards to peace and prosperity.

Where did it go wrong?

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In that case jackie she should have used the word 'does'. There are quite a few people around here who have noted the scepticism of familiy members and friends about how the arthritis affects them, so by using the word 'can' she implies that for some it doesn't, and that is not true. A tiny point, but valid I think. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • airwave
    Options
    I know what you mean, people are almost waiting for you to get up and start running and can't get it into their minds that pain is an on-going issue with arther sufferers.

I think it is nearly impossible to write an article without offending someone, we, having mates like arther around, wanted or not, must be willing to look on the positive side of press releases. Smile to the world, its only a grin.

8) Its a grin, honest!

Oh dear, I'm getting all sensible in my 2nd age, perhaps I should just have gone to Glastonbury.............
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Although not affecting me yet, this is really good news for a lot of people. Thanks for posting!

I wonder where they got that 87000 severe sufferers figure from. Is this the number of people on anti-TNF?
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    mmm, I guess we just interpret things differently? A bit like witnesses to an accident who all tell a slightly different account!.

airwave, yes, we have to look for the positives don't we? Like the old saying: some folks view their glass half full, while others see it as half empty :?

Have a good day folks.

Jackie