glucosamine/chond

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 28. Jun 2010, 14:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
right when saw gp couple of months back she said nice were not allowing funding for glucosamine/chond as no proof it works lol well had spare bottle finnished one was on and then stopped it . after month or so hips and knees got painfull and were getting hot and could not touch them as were tender so gone back on glucosamine and gues what feeling great again lol so will buy my own might be all in the head but if works do not mend it lol val :D
val

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It does work very well for some people but as it lacks 'scientific' proof it will never be on prescription. Healthspan in Guernsey are a good source for these 'alternative' meds, better quality than H&B and cheaper too! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • moongazer
    moongazer Member Posts: 67
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It does work very well for some people but as it lacks 'scientific' proof it will never be on prescription. Healthspan in Guernsey are a good source for these 'alternative' meds, better quality than H&B and cheaper too! DD
    [D/d Val Going for this next ....Cant hurt while waiting for serious treatment It certainly is not the cheapest of alternatives Can it really help to repair cartlilage though?LBabychamx
    [/quote]

Gosh, really surprised at this, my GP in Isle of Man prescribed this for me (that must be why there's no money for physio here!) He drew the line when I asked about fish oil and said there was no evidence for any benefit re OA.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    did get on prescription till few months ago but will still buy it if it works why stop it lol was not sure was helping till stopped it i know lots of people who it has not helped always worth a try when in pain will try anything val
    val
  • bevfoster15
    bevfoster15 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    valval wrote:
    right when saw gp couple of months back she said nice were not allowing funding for glucosamine/chond as no proof it works lol well had spare bottle finnished one was on and then stopped it . after month or so hips and knees got painfull and were getting hot and could not touch them as were tender so gone back on glucosamine and gues what feeling great again lol so will buy my own might be all in the head but if works do not mend it lol val :D

Hi

I have been taking Glucosamine, Omega 3 capsules and ginger tablets on a morning and you take another ginger table at night and I have found a total difference since taking them !! Originally I was taking fresh ginger chopped up in water 3 times a day but have since found the tablets in holland and barretts.
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    My consultant told me there was no proof it works but if you feel better by taking it then do so.My GP did prescribe it for me but it did make me feel very sick. so I stopped it I feel and hurt more with this heat don't know why ? swollen feet aching joints looking forward to it being a little cooler
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've started taking it again after giveing up for a while, but Ive not noticed any difference. I am not a fan of alternative medicine really, I tend to be a sceptic about things like that, but I'll give things a go.
    I hope it works for you! :)

Love Sue
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi I think you have to give it about 3 months to really notice a difference and I dont think I ever kept on them that length of time :(
    I cant get them on prescription here but if they are doing any good and you can afford them you go for it....I might try them again still havew some left. The GP said that the latest report from NICE said it worked better for knees but not really for hips but I'll try anything like that LOL
    Love
    Hileena