DWP press release

livinglegend
livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
edited 28. Jun 2010, 19:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
The DWP are deliberately releasing stories to the press about bogus DLA claimants in a concentrated effort to head off criticism of the budget proposals for a quota system for DLA.

If you spot one of these, email the editor or comment on the story online regarding the poor treatment of the many genuine DLA claimants such as ourselves. Especially the ESA system of checks by Atos.

Point out that the current system is working properly as the fraudsters have been caught. To add another tier of un-needed anti-disabled bureaucracy costing many millions of Pounds will bring the DWP into further disrepute.

Joseph 8)
Josephm0310.gif

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well said Joseph,
    I so agree with you.

I will be watching out
    closely for these press releases.

Kath
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Thanks Joseph I will.

:( wish we didnt have to though :(

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    If they wasted less time on such tricks .. they might make less mistakes.

AC definitely need to start or join a campaign.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Joseph
    Thankyou for that, I will keep an eye on this one :roll:
    Barbara.
    Love
    Barbara
  • livinglegend
    delboy wrote:
    DWP press releases can be found HERE
    Thanks for that. I found the following on there.

The preliminary estimate of total overpayments due to fraud and error...... is 3.3%, or £210m, of Incapacity Benefit expenditure is estimated to have been overpaid.

So less than about 2% of claimants are fraudulent. Not exactly record breaking fraud compared to the percentage of MPs who were found to have fiddled their expenses. Do as we say, etc...... springs to mind.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Wise words as ever, livinglegend. An interesting read. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Thanks Joseph..

Marion
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    This is getting more like a circus every day. Tony Blair took many thousands onto IB to make the dole queue seem shorter. Now it's going the other way.
    I recall the Benefit Integrity system costing several million pounds to employ people to interview claimants around the country.
    How many are they going to employ to carry out all the tests on IB and DLA claimants?
    Well said above, it is a very small majority that are fraudulent. I'm sure that the majority of us on here wish we were capable of doing the things we used to love doing, alas we cant and it seems to me that we have to prove it all over again, and again.
  • livinglegend
    webmanager wrote:
    Dear Livinglegend,
    Thank-you for drawing our attention to this. We did post a statement from our CEO after the emergengy budget:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/NewsRoom/Statementsandpressreleases/v4Cs

Because these benefits affect all those with a disability not just those with Arthritis we are part of the Disability Benefits Consortium (DBC). DBC works to ensure that Government policy reflects and meets the needs of disabled people. Our partners in this include most major disability charities and the CAB.

They issued a statement on this:
    http://www.disabilityalliance.org/dbcpress2.htm

Please do not stop prompting us on these issues which we understand affect the everyday quality of life for many of us. Your comments strengthen DBC's hand when it talks to the Government.

Thanks
    WebManager on behalf of the campaigns team
    At least some notice is taken of the government's new budget, However, if I may quote the following from one of the links:
    In particular the DBC regrets the decision made by the Government to introduce reforms to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for working age adults

Surely they should not be 'regretting' what is being done, which is a weak comment, they should be opposing what is being done.

If I may quote Shakespeare's well known speech from Hamlet:

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them?

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif