help please

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 26. Jun 2010, 07:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
being about 8 weeks post op tkr i still cannot get alot of bend in my knee no matter what time of day i do my excercises first thing in the morning when the swelling has gone down over night it is still very tight and uncomfy i have tried pushing my self but it just gets more and more tight and starts to swell , could it be scar tissue dident have any external stiches just steristrips , i thought it would have given me relief from pain by now very disapointed still useing crutches when out and about as i dont feel secure for long WHY
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aw Berty, I am sorry. I do not know what to suggest really. I think I remember correctly that you did not get on with your physiotherapist because if you did, they could perhaps help you improve the bend. My physio at one point massaged my knee for me. I had ultrasound too a couple of times on my first knee replacement by the physio. Is the knee bend sufficient to be able to get up and down from a chair in the normal fashion and climb stairs?

Could you call your consultant's secretary perhaps and ask him to call you to discuss it?

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi bertyboy. I didn't have TKR, just a huge open synovectomy, and it took weeks and weeks of physio before I could get anything resembling a bend. A great deal of pulling and pushing goes on during surgery - of which one is blissfully unaware! - and I'm sure this must lead to internal swelling and contusion etc, plus the new joint itself has to 'bed in'. Scar tissue itself is also quite tough - have you been moisturising it? What has your physio had to say? If they are content with your progress then grit your teeth, carry on, and give yourself time. You have the goal of being without crutches to aim at, but sometimes things take a great deal longer than we would like. A new joint sounds like an easy, 'quick' fix, but in reality it's anything but. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bertyboy
    Options
    hi both had to cancel my last physio due to mum cant get an appointment till t 7th july but have tried to keep up the excercses as much as possible i still have to go up stairs one at a time and use the chair arms for leverage its painful to sit for to long with knees bent , i realy dont know what i am expected to be doing i can do the straight leg lift very easy its just the flat bed bend with preasure from the foot on the bed ,
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It took me months to do the straight lift thing, I still do stairs like a three year old, and have done since 2000, when my left knee was soooooo fat it couldn't bend! How do I put this tactfully - ummm, don't think I can, so I shall just jump in and PLEASE do not take offence: your mum's death is a setback on more than one level: you lost a belovéd parent, the shock of that is so deep, it clears your mind dof any other concern, so exercises etc have probably gone out of the window - and rightly so. You will have lost some ground and making it up again will be tough. You will do it tho, berty, I have no doubt. DD (whose beloved daddy died 8 years ago, today)
  • bertyboy
    Options
    oh DD my thoughts are with you , but they are never really gone they are beside us every step of the way , thoughtful hugs to you xx

and yes you are so right in my mind i have excercised but maybe not as i should thank you xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you berty, your thoughts are much appreciated. DD
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    It is still early days Berty, try not to worry too much.

If you are still unhappy after you`ve seen the physio, maybe a word with your GP would help. He/She may suggest contacting your Consultant.

Something that I find all the time in my work though Berty, is that when someone is in emotional pain, it frequently manifests itself physically.

Be kind to yourself.........Much love......Ange.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    sorry to hear your recovery is not what you expected, although we all heal at different rates. i am sure you will get there in the end..all the best x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Berty

Hope things ease up for you soon :(

I think you are honestly doing all you can until you restart your physio.

DD is right about the trauma of these procedures - and some of these guys on here are so amazing with their recovery that it makes some of us worry.

Yuo are doing ok I'm sure. any real doubts and i would check out with your GP

Love

Toni xx