Help please with pain relief

terrywhite
terrywhite Member Posts: 3
edited 27. Jun 2010, 16:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
My Dutch girlfriend who lives in Crete needs a hip replacement operation but is unable to go ahead at the moment due to a complicated divorce case. Currently she is taking 150mg of Volterol or volteren as its known over there. Up until recently this has helped but unfortunately has stopped relieving her terrible pain. Is anyone able to suggest anything else please until such times as she can have her hips replaced. Please bear in mind that Codeine is banned in Greece.
Unfortunately getting her to see a Greek doctor is extremely difficult! Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I am English, currently living in Turkey but will go and join her permanently next month. Thanks in advance. Please reply either on here or direct to my e mail (removed as per our terms and conditions) Mod J

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi. I take Tramadol 50mg for severe pain. This comes in various strengths and is morphine-based. I wish her well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • terrywhite
    terrywhite Member Posts: 3
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hi. I take Tramadol 50mg for severe pain. This comes in various strengths and is morphine-based. I wish her well. Dreamdaisy

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I will pass that information on this morning and see if she can get it over there in Crete, if not I can try here where most things seem to be available over the counter. Presume you take the Tramadol 50mg on an as and when basis and not regularly?
    Best wishes
    Terry
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, just realised, it may not be over-the-counter! That's the problem when one relies on prescribed meds. Sorry Terry, I may have led you down a garden path, but completely unintentionally. Let me have a re-think, I'll see what I can find out. I do apologise. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    edited 26. Jun 2010, 08:09
    Over-the-counter pain killers are generally low strength to stop people killing themselves. If she want decent pain relief, she'll have to go via a doctor. I don't think there's any other way, unless you try illegal drugs. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Suppose he could try ibuprofen Daisy??

Or the combination of paracetamol AND volterol OR ibuprofen. Overlapping so the pain doesnt get a grip.

Everything else is almost certainly NOT over the counter.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    I tend to forget ibuprophen as I'm not allowed to take it! Quite right, frog, I guess that is an alternative, but I would still question whether it would be strong enough to relieve her pain. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I tend to agree DD, but it's better than nothing....

It gives me the two-bob bits but then again so do most anti-inflams.

:oops:

soory :oops:

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    HI, Iboprufen would have to be instead of voltarol and wouldn't be more effective ... but there are lots of other anti-inflammatories out there and they wouldn't be banned in Greece? Though would need to see a doc or get illegally over internet. I have OA and have one THR and one new resurface-replacement. Arcoxia worked best for me- it is an anti-inflammatory and also helps with pain. On Arcoxia I also used iboprufen gel - it is meant to be ok as the body absorbs less of it if it is used locally where the pain is.

Has she tried wheatie bags - warm pads you heat in the microwave - they were my constant companion as my pain got worse. Some folks prefer ice ....

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I think ibroprufen is the only anti inflammitory that you can buy over the counter....to my knowledge all the others are via a GP even the codeine that you say is banned.
    Without going to a GP I think thats the best bet and arent very expensive {here}...combination of paracetamol and ibroprufen...Dont forget anti inflammatories must be taken after food otherwise can cause ulcers.
    Those 2 plus heat pads or cold {some people find cold helps better} I've just had a hip replacement {Feb} and I always find heat is better for me
    Let us know what happens please
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena