Employment issues

Options
mitchy
mitchy Member Posts: 4
Hi, I am very new to the Whole Forum thingy!! So here goes.
I am a very young 40yr old who has been suffering for about 5 yrs although this year i have got alot worse, This time last yr walking up to 3 miles aday, and now unable towalk to the car or to the bottom of my huge garden on most days, So, Yes its hard but, hey ho, its my cards so just kinda getting on with it.
3 weeks ago under went a Sub Talor fusion so now in Plaster for 3 months and non weight bearing for 3 months as well....oh the joy!
Anyway, i was very lucky last July got offered a great job in my choosen career as a Support Worker with Learning Disabilities and Challenging Behaviour, At interview stage i informed then i was a OA suffer, they were fine, I was ok at this stage, just having a few breath taking days with the pain, So full time employment was enjoyed until March this year when i reduced my hours by 7 hours, but in fact still working full time( took paper work home)Throughout my employment have always kept my employer posted as to my health and my pending operation, they continued to great, until the date came, they knew as well as i did that i was going to be off for 3months, or in plaster for 3 months, but they said they were sure they could find something for me to...So now i am fit to return on crutches to work. I am now registered as Disabled which they know, but now they are saying under H&S i am unable to return to wrk, as i am unable to do my intended job, I am recieving SSP, but can't afford to remain on this, More so, Because apart from my crutches and plaster i am able to return to work....Please Help, if anyone out there knows where i stand on this i would be so grateful for any info, i would also like to add that i am not the only disabled member of staff which they employ, however they have made no reasonable adjustments to our place of work.[/i]

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sounds like disability discrimination to me.....you told them at the start, you kept them informed..
    are you in a union for advice and support....
    they should do an assessment and see what adjustments can be made so you can do your work e.g. extra breaks, or some work delegated to someone else...
    my mantra is..if it doesnt feel right it isnt...this doesnt feel right does it? No, it doesnt...they arent right...
    fight....theyre prats,dont know what theyre on about.
    Go on some union website for info, TUC, Health and safety,disability rights commission and educate yourself...you will feel better, keep us posted and good luck...
    hope you feel better soon too!
  • mitchy
    Options
    Thank you so much, your right it doesn't sound right, so isn't right, have checked on line advise with H&S, no mention on there, so go number will be calling Monday am, Its a shame i am not a member of a union, but there are unions out there who give you advise and help, so have and will be shouting loudly come monday morning.
    Again thank you and will keep you posted.x
    oneday wrote:
    Sounds like disability discrimination to me.....you told them at the start, you kept them informed..
    they should do an assessment and see what adjustments can be made so you can do your work e.g. extra breaks, or some work delegated to someone else...
    my mantra is..if it doesnt feel right it isnt...this doesnt feel right does it? No, it doesnt...they arent right...
    Go on some union website for info, TUC, Health and safety,disability rights commission and educate yourself...you will feel better, keep us posted and good luck...
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi Mitchy

I'm not sure of the answer either in your case but am in my 7th week in plaster after tendon tears around my ankle which have been surgically repaired, (I have RA and lupus) and wanted to send sympathy for your situation. I was only 3 weeks non weight bearing and that was more than enough for me!

I work almost full time in the NHS but they wouldn't entertain me working in plaster and with crutches. I certainly couldn't work all my hours like this anyway because my foot and leg swell so much inside the plaster when my leg is down during the day.

You certainly need to join a union and to read up on the Disability Discrimination Act. I've always found that to be a useful starting point when discussing anything with HR! Knowledge of your legal position generally frightens off most HRs, largely because they rarely know the law that well.

Good luck with it all anyway.

Kaz
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    mitchy wrote:
    Thank you so much, your right it doesn't sound right, so isn't right, have checked on line advise with H&S, no mention on there, so go number will be calling Monday am, Its a shame i am not a member of a union, but there are unions out there who give you advise and help, so have and will be shouting loudly come monday morning.
    Again thank you and will keep you posted.x
    oneday wrote:

p.s. do internet search for employment solicitors too as some useful pointers on such sites.
  • mitchy
    Options
    kazpaz wrote:
    Hi Mitchy
    Thank you so much kazpaz, The thought of having plaster on for the next 2 months is mind blowing.
    My leg is te same as yours as soon as it is in the normal down position it too, swells and becomes more painful, I have found Ice to help at Bedtime and very strong painkillers...
    The website you have advised me to look at, i certainly will.
    We take everything for granted, And i really thought as i was employed to support Disabled adults that my employer would be more understanding....But, hey ho, We all learn from our mistakes. Tara :)

I'm not sure of the answer either in your case but am in my 7th week in plaster after tendon tears around my ankle which have been surgically repaired, (I have RA and lupus) and wanted to send sympathy for your situation. I was only 3 weeks non weight bearing and that was more than enough for me!

I work almost full time in the NHS but they wouldn't entertain me working in plaster and with crutches. I certainly couldn't work all my hours like this anyway because my foot and leg swell so much inside the plaster when my leg is down during the day.

You certainly need to join a union and to read up on the Disability Discrimination Act. I've always found that to be a useful starting point when discussing anything with HR! Knowledge of your legal position generally frightens off most HRs, largely because they rarely know the law that well.

Good luck with it all anyway.

Kaz