fibromyalgia

vikki30
vikki30 Member Posts: 20
edited 3. Jul 2010, 19:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone suffer from fibromyalgia, I have recently been diagnosed with it, a week after my mum was. I know she has been put on amitriptyline to help with the pain and to help her sleep, but i'm not keen about going on these, as I am a single mum and cant be taking things to help me sleep when I on my own with my girls at night times. Has anyone tried acupuncture? or anything herbal?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Vikki

welcome here from me :D

I dont have fibro but ex MIL does.

I am on amitrip 25mg though

The amitrip is ok - I can drive and still get up at 6.30 every day now. First time i took it thlough I woke up PROPERLY at 2pm. Was there in body but not mind :wink:

Try to get the 10mg ones and build up. Take the first one on a weekend - take it one or TWO hours before bed - it does not kick in straight away.

Hope this helps till our fibr-persons come on.

Love

Toni x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I have PA OA and about a month ago was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well. I've been gradually increasing my dose of Amytriptaline and am now up to 30mg each night. It makes me very tired the next day but then so does the FM. :roll: My body does seem to be getting used to the dose and I will increase it again next week.
    I have acupuncture every few weeks and some weeks it helps more than others but sometimes it's brilliant. I'd say go for it if you get the chance.
    best of luck
    rita
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Hi Vikki, I have Fibro & OA Plus other conditions all linked.
    I take 50ml most nights of Amptripyline, as others have said you can build up from 10mg.
    If your not keen on taking that what about trying Nytols, there herbal & available over the counter.
    Im tired most of the day anyway with the Fibro kicking me about.
    I also take pregabalins 200mg twice a day, trying to work up to 300mg twice a day,Tramadols topping up with paracetomols as needed, & Oramorph for really bad days as a back up.
    I also have anti-sickness tablets & meds for IBS.

I do rattle well but couldnt function without the pain relief.
    I hope thats of some help & sorry youve had to join the Fibro club :(
    Take care,debs
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Hi Vikki

I don't have Fibro. Was initially diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and most recently rediagnosed with SLE (a Lupus type).

I bought a book on Lupus and it included a chapter on Fibro as it said it was a cousin of Lupus. My Mum has the book just now so when I get it back I will try to remember to post what it said. What I do remember though that it said Fibro was very managable and it seemed positive.

Sorry, absolutely no help to you whatsoever just now but I promise I shall try to help when get the book back! :lol:
    Carol
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I don't have fibro either, but a lot of people on here do have it. I hope someone will come along soon. I think its another of these autoimmune things, when the body attacks itsealf, it makes you very tired and achey, both muscles and joints, but unlike ra it doesn't harm the the joints, just painful.

Sorry, not much help, but I'm sure someone will be along soon.
    Love Sue
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Hi, Ive just bumped up a thread on Fibro for you. I did quite a detailed post there on symptoms etc.
    I hope you find it helpful
    debs
  • tjc123
    tjc123 Member Posts: 139
    Hi Vikki
    I was diagnosed with FM about 3 weeks ago & have been put on Gabapentin.I am finding these ok atm.I hope you get sorted soon.

tjc
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Vikki - so sorry about your diagnosis. I don't have Fibro so can't offer any practical advice but you will get lots of good advice from Debs and others who do.
    Really hope that things improve for you soon.

Love Tillyx
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    vikki30 wrote:
    Does anyone suffer from fibromyalgia, I have recently been diagnosed with it, a week after my mum was. I know she has been put on amitriptyline to help with the pain and to help her sleep, but i'm not keen about going on these, as I am a single mum and cant be taking things to help me sleep when I on my own with my girls at night times. Has anyone tried acupuncture? or anything herbal?
    hi have had fibo for 4 years but i only got told i had it last year i do take amitiptyline but i hve got a massage for it it dose help all so i have just got a alph sim it is like a tens but it is better it works on the your noromitings in your head and probs to put on the pain all over your boady and the pain goes strat away and it dose it dose woork but it coast 390.00 you can pay monthly but go om the fibo site the give you good info on thinks also tramerdol works well and you will still wake up easerly or take paracitamlol all day and it dose help hope this will help take care wendy Lou