Driving

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 27. Jun 2010, 16:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, sorry for my lack of presence on the board. I have been reading and thinking of you all. x

I haven't driven for a while because I'm a very nervous driver. :oops: However, I'm thinking getting back on the road would make my life a lot easier. I usually walk everywhere but it's using up all my spoons. Arthur affects my right ankle very badly. I have no idea if I could drive safely. What can I do about this? I feel stranded and it's not fair to rely on my mum for lifts everywhere.

Sophie xx

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sophie..................

I guess the only way you'll know is to get back behind the wheel...

As far as your right ankle...................well and automatic wont help.....

You can get an automatic, with peddles set up for left foot..............but thats only an option if you get high rate DLA.....

When my ankles are very bad, I use an ankle support......

It makes all the difference to me...........

Sorry can't be more helpful than that Sophie.....

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Driving returns your independence, and that is a wonderful thing. I take it you are a qualified driver: how about getting some refresher sessions with an instructor? Robertls is quite right about the ankle support - it does make a great difference (says me, who drives with two of them, plus two knee supports). Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi, do you have a car? If it is sat outside - just sit in and see how it feels - push the pedals a bit ... If you lack confidence - get someone to drive you to a nearby industrial estate preferably on a Sunday or somewhere quiet so you can have a go ... If you don't have a car - would your Mum let you have a go in hers? How far do you intend driving? If only locally - you could consider a scooter instead - I hired a mobility scooter whilst recovering from hip op and it has been great - it has meant I could go to the shops, friends etc and save my energy for when I get there.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Princess, I get high rate DLA so got an automatic car with hand controls rather than foot control, I must say that it has changed my life, I couldn't do without it love Jaspercatxx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    princess01 wrote:
    Hi all, sorry for my lack of presence on the board. I have been reading and thinking of you all. x

I haven't driven for a while because I'm a very nervous driver. :oops: However, I'm thinking getting back on the road would make my life a lot easier. I usually walk everywhere but it's using up all my spoons. Arthur affects my right ankle very badly. I have no idea if I could drive safely. What can I do about this? I feel stranded and it's not fair to rely on my mum for lifts everywhere.

Sophie xx

Hi Sophie
    I've always found that the car I drive makes a difference too - we've got a big audi and a baby yaris, the yaris is so light on the pedals that it is ok to drive even on quite bad days the audi though I have to be in tip top condition
    Have you thought about refresher lessons? - get a sympathetic local instructor (chat about your worries with them on the phone before booking and you'll soon realise if they are the one for you) not only will it help with your nervous driving but also they may also be able to make suggestions - I learnt to drive with RA and my instructor was fab about it and made helpful suggestions....she didn't have special training she was just good (if you are thinking about going down this route avoid big name schools...aa, bsm, etc generic formula is not what you need )
    you may only need one or two lessons to get an idea of whether or not its helpful to you but it should also increase your confidence.
    let us know how you get on
    Chrissie
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    If you do have a car...like speedy says....sit in it, try the pedals or in your mums car.
    Refresher lessons to give you confidence.....I know the times I've had to stop driving...only for a matter of months....it has taken courage to get behind the wheel again but I wouldnt be without it now. Although its manual......I've just had first hip replacement,have OA in my other hip and in my back and my left ankle so I cant walk very far really....It is a blessing.....
    I dont get DLA so cant afford an automatic and dont really need it yet but when I'm due to change my little car I'm going for an automatic {not being pessimistic but my ankle will only get worse...not better..trying to be realistic} I urge you to pluck up the courage even if it is only to drive to the bottom of the street to start with...I live in a village but there is a very large steep hill that I have to climb to get to the actual shops and no way could I do that so I decided that even if I didnt drive any further than that....it would be a help and gradually I started to drive further..Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena