Right thumb.

Options
minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
edited 27. Jun 2010, 18:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have OA & Fibromyalgia.
I have a lump at the base of my thumb were it its slowly deforming from the OA in there.
Over the past 2 weeks ive been getting extreme pain from the thumb joint.
Its hard to explain the type of pain. It feels like the joint is loose but pulls like a tendon.
Everytime i pick something up with right hand i cry out from the pain,i cant press down with it i.e cutting food & even dressing is causing pain.
I cant remember doing anything to bring on the pain, it just was there :roll:
Im away next week & really havent got time to get it looked at.
Any ideas whats causing it?
Can gp help or do i need it x-raying to see whats going on?
Oh dear, where does it all end.
debs

Comments

• queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Debs am getting the same symptoms, i told my GP, & she said you Will have to wait until you see your rheumy, it is so painful
    so I do know How you feel
    Sue xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Debs,
    I have been having trouble with my right thumb and wrist. I have been lucky so far as it has only lasted a few days at a time. I have'nt got Oa there as far as I know but it does feel as it the tendon is pulled tight and very painful.
    Could you get to the Dr and ask for an injection to tide you over until you get back? Or maybe a trip to hospital for a quick treatment. You need your break so needs must I would say.

Sorry can not give much in advice on what is causing it.
    Wishing you a good holiday and hopefully a comfortable one.

Lv, x
  • minky67
    Options
    hi Sue, sorry you got it too.
    Ive been discharged from Rhmy as he says ive got OA & he cant help me further.

Ironic, Ive had a steriod in there last year & it made the pain worse. But not this sort of pain,guess it back to GP or A&E for me then :roll: See if OH will take me before we go. Ive had to change over from my soft splint back to me thumb spike, that wasnt helping at all. Think i might just strap it up with crepe bandage til i can get it sorted.
    Thanks debs
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Minky

I have OA in both thumbs and they now look most unsightly but at least I can still use them and they do what I wish them to do, if you know what I mean! I find anti inflams of great help. I am off them at the moment trying to sort out another complaint :roll: and I really notice the difference in relation to pain/discomfort levels. I have had injections in the thumb joints from time to time and have found them helpful but the last one was a long time ago now,

I hope you can decrease the pain somehow before your hols.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Minky,

I have recently started having trouble with my little finger joint it is always mishapen and looks swollen but the bump is hard not soft like swelling. Some days it hurts more than others and can make holding onto my stick painful (and touch typing on the laptop tricky too.) Iboprufen gel helps a little (but of course apply when you know you're not going to have to wash your hands for awhile!!)

Might be worth popping to GP ... I will show him my finger next time I'm there. An x ray would show what was happening with the bones. I hope it improves and you have a lovely time away.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • minky67
    Options
    thanks elfin, Its the one thing you need & its causing me more problems than i need.
    All my joints & spine are affected by OA & muscles, tendons, ligaments by Fibromyalgia.
    Im on an uphill struggle & its really starting to get me down.
    I cant even cut up me food, its that painful.
    im going to ask OH to take me to get it looked at, the steriods might help but last time they didnt :roll:
    Mums got the same problem with hers. They wanted to fuse it but she refused.
    Thanks luv.
    debs
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Debs,

I can't help as mine though stiff don't have the lump at the base but am leaving you a ((((( ))))) and the good weather is set here for the week except Thursday. Love Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Debs

If you can nip to the docs before you go??

If not I know I would try the crepe bandage and render said thumb out of action for a while.

Good news is they do have A&Es in cornwall so you could nip in there on hols if absolutely necessary. Havn't you picked a good week :D

Hope it goes away :x I'll punch it for you sis :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • minky67
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for all your replies.
    Im going to get a crepe bandage for it tomorrow & like Toni says render it out of action for a bit,then see how it goes.
    I know it needs looking at. Something always goes wrong for me at the wrong times :roll: I'll take the thumb to gps ASAP & ask him what he thinks.
    Thanks again,debs
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    That long lasting pain, sort of numbing feeling that travels through your body and sets all your receptors on edge? I use the hot wheatbags a lot, doesn't always get rid of the pain but they are comforting, other than that pills etc etc.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • minky67
    Options
    Thanks Lynn. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ERM yer might just numb it eh!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    debs
  • minky67
    Options
    That's the plan Debs :shock: :shock: :wink::wink:

Lynn xxxx
    Okey dokey, i will keep that in mind. Could just chop the bl...y thing off :shock: :wink::lol:
    Its not so bad if i dont use it (but thats no good as i need me thumb) But when i do the pain catches me out & i cry out. :shock:
    debs
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Options
    Exactly the same here Debs, it's a mazing how often we use how thumbs, I find it hard doing any thing that involves my thumb, even using my sticks,
    what makes it worse is I am not allowed to take anti-inflammatory tablets because of having a damaged kidney, I really wish I could because it would take a little of the pain away.
    I hope you pain is not too bad today :wink:
    love Sue xx
  • minky67
    Options
    Hi Sue, ive not used it much today but its still catching me out.
    It did hurt when i ate me dinner, just pushing into a jacket spud & i was about in tears. :( I just forget then it gets me.) Its hurting now & im not typing with me thumb :shock: Might start take me anti inflams again see if they help but they dont do me stomach any good.(got IBS & meds for that aswel :roll: )

Right Lynn looks like weve got a plan :wink:
    Can i have wine though as i dont do spirits, well i do like gin but not had that for years & vodka gives me a hangover before i get to me bed :roll: so it might take a while (usually 2 glasses :roll: ) & i'll be ready for you :wink:
    debs (who's now looking at amputation :shock: ) I'll have nightmares you know :shock: :lol: