Comparison between Diclofenac and Melixicam

Options
paddybandit
paddybandit Member Posts: 6
edited 29. Jun 2010, 09:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all,

I have been prescribed Melixicam, a Cox 11 inhibitor drug as I have been taking anti inflammatories for 20 odd years. These drugs are supposed to be easier on the stomach and cause less long term problems?

I am finding that they are more effective than the diclofenac - wondered if anyone else is on the same or similar drugs.

I also take Prednisolone, azathiaprine and hydrxoychloroquin as part of the treatment for sever rhuematoid arthritis.

Thanks

Paddybandit :D : :D

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi PaddyB

Good to meet you.

I take arcoxia - also a cox2. I found i was unable to take the normal nsaids in the end - having taken too many over the years I expect :roll:

Like you i find arcoxia very effective. Others have said the same too.

I hope you find these forums as useful as i ahve

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Paddy,

Welcome to the forum.

I took voltarol for many years (a form of diclofenac) and now take arcoxia for the same reasons ... I am a fan of it too!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    The difference for me is that diclofenac makes me extremely sick and meloxicam doesn't.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hi Paddybandit.
    i have oa and i took meloxicam for a few years and then it stopped workking.
    now i take diclofenic and i take omeprazole.
    joan xx.
    take care
    joan xx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    If you look in the Arthritis Helpbook (published by AC)
    both of these drugs together with all the others are
    fully described and their effects and side effects.
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

I was on diclofenac 50mg, and these had no affect on the pain.... Rhummy has now prescribed Meloxicam and Omeprazole, at my last GP appointment the doc increased my Meloxicam.... recently i have started with pain in the jaw and the meloxicam doesnt touch it.....

Mark
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hi Paddybandit.
    i went to see the doctor yesterday because i was fed up with the aching all the time and she said i should be taking paracetamol 2 4 times a day.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx