The hot weather

Options
cutieclaire
cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
edited 28. Jun 2010, 04:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I was wondering, since this really hot weather has arrived my joints have been so swollen and in real pain. Does anyone else feel this way and if you have any tips as to how to help this, could you let me know??

Hope all is well with everyone else.

Claire xxxxx

Comments

• fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    edited 27. Jun 2010, 10:20
    Options
    Hi Claire, your not alone. Gill and i are both aching like crazy in this heat,me personally as daft as it sounds i prefer colder weather.
    Solution? don't know,i tend to hobble around in bare feet,shorts no top and boy do i look a sight :shock:
    Hope you settle down soon
    Steve
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Clair,

Some of my bones are not too impressed with the sun and heat but I have to say I as a person love it :D I feel better and able to cope with the pain and bones with the sun on my face I think........ the heat..... well I suffers so bad in the cold it makes me tolerant of the heat I guess? Hope you can get your joint comfortable and take care. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Phew!!!

I love it myself, but not sure it loves me :shock:

Ice ice and more ice :D

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering, since this really hot weather has arrived my joints have been so swollen and in real pain. Does anyone else feel this way and if you have any tips as to how to help this, could you let me know??

Hope all is well with everyone else.

Claire xxxxx

I do prefer the warmth for my OA, but as I'm post op - I have noticed more swelling this weather.

What about cool baths and showers as cool as you can bear? I think it was Sharmaine (?) who mentioned a cooling gel that you can rub into the joints and I suppose good old ice packs/bags of frozen peas.

Sorry you are suffering so.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I remember a thread about this not long ago....Someone was surprised that the heat affected them and then everyone came in on it agreeing with her.
    It makes me feel more up beat but I could do with it a bit cooler and a lot less humid than it is....a good thunderstorm wouldnt go amiss as far as I'm concerned.This time my bones aren't affected any more than normal....last time they were and I put it down to the heat.
    I've had a thum ping headache for the past 4 days and thats the humidity doing that
    Love
    Hileena
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Claire, my joints are very painful in the hot weather, they seem to prefer the cold weather, I have a little fan to cool me off but nothing helps my joints except pain killers, roll on the summer weather love Jaspercatxx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Claire

Sorry your joints are worse in this hot weather... it does seem to vary - I would suggest a few (at least) nice cool showers every day; make some fruit ice cubes up so that you always have something cool in the fridge; don't stay in the sun for longer than, say. 10 mins; and a big-ish fan is brilliant - either have it focused on your face or on your legs and feet

I used to take an ice-cool spray with me when I went on holidays in the sun - could spray them on your arms and legs/knees/feet..

Best wishes

Marion
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I think I'm sun phobic it makes me feel sluggish irritable and way to hot to cope so tend to stay indoors my daughter is the same and her asthma plays up my eldest son hates it along with my dad , so I use a spray from Boots to cool you down you spray it on your skin to cool down, pretty good stuff, my joints seem to hurt mostly in colder weather or indeed wet weather, but I feel so yuk when hot to be honest I just feel ill , apparnelty its now called summer sad, yep its the same but opposite to winter sad, thank goodness was begining to feel a freak hating the heat, I live by the sea yet the thought of being on a sun hot beach is a no no for me , :?
  • mandy1967
    mandy1967 Bots Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Claire we meet again.

My wrist and ankle are very swollen due to the heat, more than usual so I have been sitting with my feet up and trying to take it easy.
    Mandy