How many times did you take your driving test

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 10. Jul 2010, 15:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi Alan

No wonder you were somewhat distracted the first time you took your test :!: :lol::lol:

I passed first time, but I had 36 lessons and lots of practice too. Reversing round a corner was my weak point, and I was sure I would fail on that. I was amazed when I did it correctly on my test, but I don't think I've ever done it right since then.
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Alan,

well I passed first time but probably only because i was certain that I had failed within 5 mins so decided to relax :wink:

the examiner was one of those really picky ones, and when we got into the car I asked him to put on his seat belt (only drivers were required by law to wear them at that time but my instructor said we should always ask the passenger to wear one) and he refused :shock: saying he didn't need to :roll: :roll:

Five minutes later we did the emergency stop and I did it so well :lol::lol::lol::lol: that he banged his head on the windscreen (now he wouldn't have done that if he'd had his belt on would he :?: :wink::lol: )

a little later we approached the 3 point turn part of the test .... on one of the narrowest estate roads he could find :roll: loads of parked cars, and a man with a large Local authority petrol mower coming towards me on the road. After I'd put the handbrake on the examiner ( not my greatest fan by this time with an egg on his forehead :lol: ) asked why I was waiting ........ and I explained that I could not clear the road by the time he arrived at the place I was ...... by this time I was sure I had failed so I didn't care ..... completed said 3 point turn and then we returned to the test centre.

We left the test centre last and returned first :shock: so I was certain that i had failed ...... whizzed through the few theory questions we had at that time, and nearly fainted when he said I'd passed :shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

did me good though .... I was so chuffed to have passed that I relaxed enough in my O level maths retake (3rd time I'd done it :roll: ) that I passed that too!!!! must have been my lucky day :wink:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I wish I could do that parking, Alan. My daughter is a brilliant driver, and she makes it look so easy. For me, learning to drive was one of the hardest things. I think some people seem to be born drivers, and some people are not. It must be the way my brain works ( or doesn't ) in motion.
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    I passwd on the second attempt :)

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Well it`s over forty years ago now, and I passed first time. I think it was due in part to the arrogance of youth, and a lot less traffic on the roads.

The examiner told me to take the third turning on the right, and proceed to do the forward and reverse thingy, which I duly did. When we got back to the Test Centre, he informed that I had done a good manoeuvre, but that I had taken the second turning on the right. Thought I had blown it, but he passed me. Would hate to do a test today!!.........Ange.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    This is really honestly true.

I decided to drive after walking had gone for good. My family laughed when I said I was going to take up driving.

I had some driving lessons and my teacher said I was a natural driver. He told me to put in for my test.

Being disabled you go out after all the drivers have gone. Then it was my turn, well he made me go around the back of the test centre. I thought it was funny as all the others went out the other way.

Well we got to the staff's car park and I was told to tell him the number on this car. I did that. Then the worst part came. He told me he wanted me to reverse until he told me to stop.

I was going in reverse and then he said he wanted me to keep reversing into a car park space then stop the car when I had. I was thinking I will hit something but carried on.

After I parked and switched off the engine I thought I had failed.Then he told me to start and go the way I had come in. Well I took the whole test which was then longer for a disable person.

After I had done most of it we were on the way back and a pigeon flew down right in my path.

I knew I could not run over it so I slowed down and I said to him that I was sorry, but I had looked in my mirrors and there were no cars behind me and I could not bear to hear a crunch where I had killed him.

What I did not know until we got back and I was waiting for the fail to follow he told me that when the piegeon was in my path I had said "Why did you have to land right were I was going."That meant fail to me. deffinately.

When he said well done you have passed I could not believe it. I had had 12 lessons that was my a driving lesson that day and my test so it was 13.

My family would not believe me at first then I showed them my pass. I was shocked myself.

Trish
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I took the test 4 times :oops:

When I first started lessons, my teacher said I was a natural driver and would pass after 15 lessons, easily. I ended up taking 54! I just fell apart during the test and got so nervous I couldn't concentrate. On my second test I failed because I drove on the wrong side of the road :shock:

Nx

PS - this was 15 years ago. If I had to take any theory tests, I would still be learning to drive!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I passed first time, I drove terribly for the first 5 mins, forgot my seatbelt, wrong side of the road! At that point I thought I have to salvage some pride here, pulled myself together and drove perfectly- I had nothing to lose!

First car i drove was a Ford Sierra Cosworth RS 500! Hubbys car and he wanted a lift somewhere. I bought a brand new Golf but sorry I didnt like it! Ended up lending it to my friends.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    My first ever driving LESSON was 38 yrs ago.

The instructor picked me up at work in my
    lunch hourand whilst HE was driving me to the place where
    the new learner drivers go, he collided with
    a van :roll: so the first lesson entailed taking
    details from the other driver etc.

Oh well, it didnt put me off, I passed first time
    after about 20 lessons.

I think the cost per lesson was something like
    17/6, which in decimal is: oh boy I have forgotten. :roll:
    maybe its about 85pence :?:

Kath x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Alan,

i was really lucky.... drove off road from about 11 so passed my driving test inside 6 weeks of my 17th birthday.

My first car was the one I learned to drive in.. a series 2 land rover and she was a double declutch job as well :wink:

Passed the advanced in the ambulance service which surprised me a there was an incident..... They do the open road thing and carry an exemption certificate as we had to lean to be fast and safe in traffic as well as open roads..... A rat ran across the rod and I hit the breaks... the examiner asked e why and all I could think to say was it had a family..... I thought I had failed so relaxed then..... I passed which is just as well as it was a condition of the job! Cris x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Alan, being honest I passed on the third attempt, the trouble was I was so nervous, as friend of mine gave me one of those tablets to calm you down, so I managed to pass, even though it was pouring with rain, and some silly woman stepped on the pedestrian crossing even though my front wheels were across it love Jaspercatxx
  • patriciamary
    patriciamary Member Posts: 117
    Options
    My driver examiner explained that during the test he would tap the dashboard with his clipboard and I was required to do an emergency stop when this happened. First, read number plate on that car, it drove away, read that other car, a guy went into the boot and started rummaging about, I was trying to read the number between his legs. Five minutes into the test Im driving along parked cars at either side of the road and on the left side a large grassy hill. I caught sight of a boy running down the hill but it looked like he had got on a run and was getting faster and couldnt stop. Yes, he came running out between to parked vans and boy oh boy did I do an emergency stop. The examiners clipboard flew out of his hand and hit the windscreen scattering papers all over the place. I was apologising and saying that kid just run out I had too stop. We both looked at the kid, it was a very small man who looked about 40. We both had a hard time trying not to laugh. Thought I had failed at that point so enjoyed the rest of the drive. When we got back to the test centre and he gave me the pink slip I nearly kissed him. Passed 1st time with only 14 lessons. My 17 year old daughter is currenly learning to drive and its so much harder now a days. I dont think I would pass the test now.
    Trisha
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    i past on my third time, would of past second but my concentration failed me when it shouldn't i still remember the bit where it happened, luckily i now live someone where it quieter and others don't know who should give way to who, but soon have to get in the swing of it as holidays south are getting nearer, still i feel it good because i passed down south in Suffolk and if you can drive on busy roads you can drive anywhere.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    This thread has been really really funny!!

Nice one :wink:

I passed econd go first time i failed as the EXAMINER had to do an emergency stop n the raod coming out of the test centre. :oops:

one of those roads with parking everywhere and I thought (somewhat foolishly) that the other car would move for me as I was on my test :oops:

Twonk!!

Passed 2nd go - same examiner and clean drivinf licence ever since :D
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    none :(:( never wanted to drive just oh up the wall :D:D:D:D
    val
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I passed first time :D

Rose x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    A rat ran across the rod and I hit the breaks... the examiner asked me why and all I could think to say was it had a family... Quote Cris

Cris, that is so funny, and so typical of you :!: :lol::lol: Always thinking about the animals :!: :D
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    A rat ran across the rod and I hit the breaks... the examiner asked me why and all I could think to say was it had a family... Quote Cris

Cris, that is so funny, and so typical of you :!: :lol::lol: Always thinking about the animals :!: :D

Hi Joan,

Well it probably did have :lol::lol::lol: I was convinced I had failed and it was so much easier when I began to think that way as i relaxed and it was a very nice fast car so I enjoyed it after that :lol::lol:

Never did understand how a nice fast car trained you to chuck a clumberson top heavy waggon around though :wink: Purrs to Tommy xx
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    Second time for me. Failed the first cos when reversing round the corner, ended up diagonally across the road and didn't know how to put it right. I asked the examiner if I should try to do it again and he said "I don't think there's any point"!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway had mastered this by the second attempt thank goodness.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    1st time - with only 3 minor faults all linked to parking
    I was a very nervous driver - when I was 17 after I had had one go in the car with my dad, a good friend was killed in a terrible car crash. It took over 6 years before I would sit in the driver seat again, and a wonderful driving instructor and a patronising boyfriend (now husband) but the paranoia obviously worked as I did well.
    Chrissie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    First time, by a military testing officer and in a huge landrover in Germany.

Wow!

think yours trumps ours..... :shock:

Love

Toni xx