Childhood holidays

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 10. Aug 2010, 03:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

What are your memories of childhood holidays :?:

My Dad saved up all year so that he could take us to the best hotels he could afford for our summer holidays. I stayed in some very nice hotels, but I never fully appreciated them because my sister and I were told that we must be on our best behaviour. and not make a noise. We were expected to remember our manners at all times.

In contrast, some of my best holidays were with my friend and her family, staying in a tiny caravan with no mod cons. There we could make as much noise as we liked, and I experienced a sense of freedom which was fantastic. We cycled everywhere, whereas at home I wasn't allowed to have a bike. The best thing was that the family's dog came with us, and it slept on my bed every night, something which would have been unthinkable at home. Happy days :!: :D

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As a child post war, there wasn't the money about for us to have 'proper' holidays, so we had days out........were were within easy reach of both London and the south coast.

I have fond memories of Brighton, Littlehampton, Rye, the Isle of Wight, Southend etc. But for me the highlights were when we went up the Thames in a boat to visit relatives, I loved those boat trips.

At 9 years old I went to live with relatives in Devon following a serious illness.....and fell in love with it...it was supposed to be for 6 months but somehow turned into nearly 5 years! I always felt that it was home, and life seemed to be one long holiday there.

Annie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Wasnt post war, but we couldn't afford them either :(

My Dad was a hungarian immigrant and my Mum had no family to speak of so they had no support and Dad worked mum stayed with us.

I only remember ONE holiday - to southport Pontins :)

Probably why I want my kids to see something of hte world eh?

Love

Toni xx
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I`m another one with wonderful post war holiday memories.

The earliest ones were in a little - and I mean little! - caravavan on a farm in North Wales. Waking up to the horses rocking the van. Cris would have loved it! We had the best of both worlds, because the seaside was not far away.

Another special one, when I was about ten, was in Blackpool, in it`s heyday. My dad was a superb ballroom dancer, and he taught me to dance, to Reg Dixon in the Tower Ballroom. A trip to the Pleasure Beach, just once because it was too expensive. The donkey ride, when the daft old thing ran off towards the sea, with me yelling for my dad. Then walking back to the "Boarding House" eating the best ever fish and chips. And yes...you did pay extra for the use of the cruet set! Such simple things gave so much pleasure in those days.........Ange.
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    My childhood holidays were camping in Devon I loved it, one year my dad packed the car with the tent in and all our camping ear the night before and when we got up the car had been stolen, so we didn't get a holiday that year thanks to the thug who live across the road. After that we started going to Bridlington every year and staying in the same holiday flat, loved it.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • frogmorton
    Options
    You know these are lovely stories :D

barry Island eh?

See how much I missed out on and waht a deprived childhood i had?? :wink: NOT :!:

Anyone remeber Dr Schools sandals in the seventies?

Well our dad made me and my sis some out of wood and an old leather belt - you know we loved them :D:lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    when we were little used to live in dorset half an hour from weymouth have great memories of days out there and caravans in yarmouth and clacton such great fun. mind you was in sea cadets so have many memories of camping and going on the cruise ship ss uganda while it was still in service
    val
  • valval
    Options
    rehab it very moving thanks for sharing it with us val
    val
  • valval
    Options
    just to grow up happy they are very suportive people with out pushing there views on us. we were lucky like that i think mind you never knew what wanted to do still do not lol.
    val
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Rehab, that was a fantastically good word image......my knowledge of the mines is at second hand, hubby's cousins and uncles worked in the pits in Northumberland. I remember going back to his home village just after the pit closed........it was like the proverbial ghost town.

.........and I was supposed to be a teacher........even at 12 years old I knew it wasn't for me!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    It seems that many of us remember post-war holidays on this thread. I think it was because of the deprivations suffered during the war that my Dad was so keen make up for it by taking us to good hotels. We weren't rich, so I don't know how he afforded it, and that makes it even worse that my sister and I never appreciated staying in them. It's only as I've got older that I realise that he was trying to do the best for his family.

Rehab, thank you for posting your sister's poem. You both have a way with words, I think. It must be in your Welsh blood. I grew up in a mining area in Yorkshire, and I also taught many miners' children in my first job on an NCB estate in Nottinghamshire, so the poem was a reminder of those times for me.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Joan

I hope my kids will look back on the holidays we take them on like you do now - with fond memories....

Rehab - your sis was a clever bird :D Mining here in Cannock too...

Love

Toni xx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    One day a year at Ffrith beach Prestatyn.But by god I've made up for it since then been to every continent Any else the same?
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    These stories were lovely to read and, Rehab, your sister is very talented to have written that so young!

Being another child of immigrant parents, we only had day trips as holidays when we were little and these were few and far between because our parents worked such long hours (like everyone did). Alton Towers was always a huge treat (still brings back memories now when I go) and they tried to take us most years.

The main breaks we had were visiting other relatives in other parts of the UK. My parents didn't drive so we'd go with my uncle and his family - 10 of us packed into one car on a three hour drive to Bradford or somewhere similar. Good job none of us was car sick! I also remember going to Indian weddings and dreading it because back then the whole family would congregate at the person's house and stay there for the whole week leading up to the wedding to get involved with and help with the ceremonies. SO boring if you were 6 years old and told to mind your sister!

Ahhh, it's made me all nostalgic now. Our parents did their best and we still get raised eyebrows now from them when we go abroad for holidays :D

Nx