surfing the net

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 21. Jul 2010, 11:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
question...
when youre surfing the net and click on a page, why do some websites stop you pressing the back arrow to get to your previous lists of searches, its annoying i have to go back to home page and enter search words again - they dont want to let go.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think....

and i will let the techies (they know who they are) correct me if I'm wrong....

that it is when the link opens a new page and you have to click on the X to get back to your search.

Hope I am right.

Love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Livingledgened will know more on this but i know what you mean, I hate them they stick you in a loop where they wont let you go the buggers!, sometimes a quick double back click works but not always.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 10. Jul 2010, 16:46
    Options
    When you click on the link to go to what you think is the first page, it actually transfers you onward another page. So you have gone forward 2 pages, even though it appears to be just one.

It's called redirecting, but as it is only a few lines of code, it happens in the background so fast that you don't realise what is occurring. Going back one page, puts you onto the redirect page and you are sent forward again automatically on to what you think is the first page again. So you can't go back to your search by just clicking on the Back button as the redirect page blocks you.

There is a way round it if you get stuck on a site. If you look at where the Back/Forward buttons are at the top of your browser, then next to them is a little arrow pointing down. If you click on this arrow then it will give you a menu of recent pages visited. Just click on the one for your results and that should take you back to the results page.

Properly programmed, the redirect page lets you go back. As an example, click this link, http://www.greatwyrley.net and it should let you use the Back button properly. Look at the address line for where you are redirected to and it isn't a greatwyrley.net page. You are redirected automatically to the greatwyrley.org.uk site, (not the same site address). Click on the Back button and it should take you to your 'proper' previous page.

If you are using tabs and it opened a new tab, then just close that tab for the new page, which will return you to your search on the previous open tab.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi joeseph did not know about down arrow thanks you live and learn in this world val
    val
  • oneday
    Options
    once brain refreshed will try it out, thank you.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    once brain refreshed will try it out, thank you.

PHEW!!!

a bit much for me :roll:
  • oneday
    Options
    Joseph
    I am pleased to say I read your explanation and its registered in my brain, it didnt the first time, think heat must have affected me before. I will now use that drop down arrow if stuck again,thaks.
    got there in the end!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As always, Joseph, thank you. Very useful info! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tarasmygirl
    tarasmygirl Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks Joseph I didn't know about that either.
    What I do when I get search results and may want to look at more than one is to right click on page I want to go to and select 'open in new tab' saves being caught in the loop
    Cath