How/Why did you choose your job?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 11. Jul 2010, 03:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

How and why did you choose your job? What do you think influenced you?

I didn't have a burning ambition to become a teacher, and at 18, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I was influenced by my older sister, who had gone into teaching. I used to go to stay with her for weekends at her college, and I thought it looked like a lot of fun. I chose to go to London, because I thought it would be an exciting place to spend three years. I was right, but of course, I soon realised when I got there that it wasn't non-stop parties.

I wondered what I had let myself in for the first time I stood in front of a class in the East End of London, and realised that they were actually expecting me to teach them something. But I also discovered that working with children is a great job, with never a dull moment. As my skills increased, so did my enthusiasm, and I wouldn't have wanted any other career.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Joan

I think you must have been a really good teacher too, when you have briefly spoken about it.

I shoud imagine that you really worked hard to help your pupils.

Trish xxx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    First job was choice after that I just had to work to earn money, although my first job at Harwell wasn't planned I did enjoy the work there but again had to leave due to money, oh and my line manager being a seriously corupt and useless ****, talk about two faced and devious. A bit like dear old Toni Blair!!.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Joan

Long story really - enjoyed working with people...so tried aout a few client groups kids, aduls who had physical disabilities, learning disabilities etc then realised that I could help more if I wsa qualified so trained to be a social worker. HATED it!!!!!

Now just do a bit of advocacy work with people with l disabs and love it :)

Love
    Toni xx