anyone know anthing about under active thyroid

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
edited 14. Jul 2010, 12:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
my sister Sue has had a blood test and one of the things thats being tested is to see if she has under active thyroid.
sue has been on tabs for swollen legs.
and she feels worn out.
she has not had the resuits yet.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes, Joan, had this for about 10 or 11 years.......absolutely no probs once the dose of thyroxine was stabilized. That took 6 - 8 months to get it right and it has had to be upped once since then.

Have thyroid checks now on a regular basis along with all the other blood tests.

I'm sure there will be others along with the same answers.

Annie
    xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Joan
    All I know about under active thyroid, is that you put weight on, ans feel really tired, but these symptoms can be caused by many things, her doctor will just be ruling this out.
    If they come back positive she will have to take medication to keep the thyroid on track.
    I hope she gets good results but at least she has done the right thing by going to her gp .
    Give her some hugs from me (((((()))))
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Joan

Not sure about it but sending her these to try to cheer her up

g10114.gif

Love Trish xxxxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Joan

I have taken thyroxine for 43 years after having a nodular goitre removed :) As has been said, once the dosage has been sorted no problems and a yearly blood test to see if there are any changes.

I know quite a few friends who have gone onto thyroxine in their later years around 40 - 50 years.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    Options
    Hi Annie Barbara Babycham Elna.
    Annie thank you for your help.
    Barbara
    thank you for your help are you feeling better now.
    Babyham
    thank you how are you.
    Elna
    thank you how are you feeling.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Elna thank you how are you feeling.joan xx

Thank you Joan, for asking, I am putting one foot in front of the other, so all is well there :)

I do hope that you are managing too.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi - I have had under active thyroid for about 10yrs - everything slows down in your body!!!! it is a life changing thing because you do feel things are not quite right!! but it doesnt mean life stops or you have to give things up as we do with 'arthur'!!!!! but it does take time to get the meds right, the body reacts slowly to it!!!! i found that once i was on the right amount of meds, things were better!!

hope your sister is ok?

louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Joan

My friend has this and she was tired before they found out.

I know she gets free prescriptions now :) bit of a mixed blessing that though....

Hope she is ok

Love

Toni xx