Big toe Arthritis – Bone resurfacing – anyone had this op?

Options
sturge8
sturge8 Member Posts: 164
edited 12. Aug 2010, 09:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
http://www.footsurgeryservices.com/a-joint-resurface.html

I am currently going down the cortisone injection route at reducing symptoms for great toe arthritis. Ultimately joint fusion would be my only option in the years to come. A few weeks ago I stumbled across this procedure. It sounds way more painless than fusion and you keep your joint mobility.

Has anyone had the operation, can you give me feedback please?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry Sturge dont really know, but was thinking - like all resurfacing - it HAS to be better recovery-wise for you and I know if I were you - I would want to try something like this first if you can.

LOve

Toni xx
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    No, didn't get that option, 1X fusion and 1 X new joint which then failed so I have a 'space' now. All the weight goes onto the smaller joints after a fusion and they all hurt now so the op you mention may well be a good thing?

Find out as much as you can before you agree to it.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Sturge, looks good to me!! I had a hip resurface-replacement - kept my own bone and they smoothed the head of the femur and the pelvis socket and covered them with metal. Is already a better result at 8/9 weeks than a THR ... and a so compared to fusion .. even better. Have read though that you need a surgeon experienced in resurfacing if that is your option ... ie for surgeons it is a steep learning curve.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • mopeabout
    mopeabout Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had both my big toes fused at the same time. I would advise anyone to carefully concider all options before this operation as it causes you to walk in a different manner and so puts more stress on other toes and joints!
    I also think their should be better follow-ups and the offer of physiotherapy. I had mine done 18mths ago and am only now receiving physio because of the problems that I have now got. Hope this is helpful.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Haven't had any foot surgery but see that other peeps have and given you info. on other options.

I just wanted to wish you good luck with making a decision about it and say talk it all through with your surgeons about what is best for you. :wink:

Iris x
  • leecarter
    leecarter Bots Posts: 4
    Options
    Local ortho told me 6 years ago that this kind of surgery either works beautifully or makes matters worse! I decided to put up with it. Apparently if left untreated the joint fuses all by itself and the pain stops. I'm still waiting...
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi,
    Have you spoken to your consultant about a cheilectomy? This is basically removing excess bone around the joint and the worst bits of damaged joint. I had one a few months ago and so far, the results have been great. It is not a permanent cure but I hear it can last for a good few years sometimes. My consultant wanted to try this before going down the fusion road and I'm glad I did it. I had little movement left in the joint due to bone growth and had had steroid injections several times. Hope this is helpful.
    Regards, Josie
  • sturge8
    Options
    leecarter wrote:
    Local ortho told me 6 years ago that this kind of surgery either works beautifully or makes matters worse! I decided to put up with it. Apparently if left untreated the joint fuses all by itself and the pain stops. I'm still waiting...

From what I have read about the bone resurface procedure, is that if it isn't successful you can still have a fusion operation performed. You say you are waiting for it to fuse anyway, seems sensible to try this first before you settle for fusion.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options
    Hi Sturge

are you going to have this procedure??

If you do will you let us know how you get on please.

Love

Toni x
  • sturge8
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Sturge

Love

Toni x

I have my Podiatry appointment next week. I will certainly explain to the surgeon my interest in this procedure. I may ask then to be referred to Tim Kilmartin who performs the surgery. My present surgeon may even say I am not ready for such a op anyway. I wouldn't wait for me to have the op before you ask for a consultation, make one now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Rest easy sturge, none of us are waiting for you, we're fighting our own battles in our own ways. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sturge8
    Options
    sturge8 wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Sturge

Love

Toni x

I have my Podiatry appointment next week. I will certainly explain to the surgeon my interest in this procedure. I may ask then to be referred to Tim Kilmartin who performs the surgery. My present surgeon may even say I am not ready for such a op anyway. I wouldn't wait for me to have the op before you ask for a consultation, make one now.

I asked him about the bone resurfacing operation. He said if I have the bunion op it won't affect my chances in the future for the joint to be resurfaced. So I am pressing on with insoles and a bunion op for now.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi

Sounds good. How long will you have to wait to have your op?

Marion
  • sturge8
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi

Sounds good. How long will you have to wait to have your op?

Marion

I go back to see my consultant in 3 months time with my new orthotics. Just found out how much they cost – £200 a pair – ouch! I guess at this appointment he will discuss with me the next stage (an operation).