Chickens

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 17. Jul 2010, 04:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just watched the program on BBC2 the private life of chickens and it never fails to amaze me how we can treat some animals and all for a few extra pence profit, I guess that's what makes us different from all the other species on this planet, we have greed to drive us they don't, you never see a chicken declaring itself the grand leader of the coop and demanding taxes for food and a bed and then in the next sqwauk declaring war on the next coop just coz it looks really nice, animals just need a certain amount of space and food and that's it, we humans , well some humans covet what others have and are ready to use manipulation and even violence to get it, it is this one weakness that will finish us off well that's if a large space rock doesn't do it first!.

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mell

you never see a chicken declaring itself the grand leader of the coop

I'm not so sure about that. Chickens have a pecking order, and get aggressive when they feel threatened, just like humans.

I do agree that we should ensure their welfare though. I hate the thought that some chickens never see daylight in the whole of their short lives.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Ours have a large pen and i let em lose on the garden great lawn mowers Don t leave em on too long as they would scratch the lot away. They love it all those worms. They have different personalities my daughter can tell em apart. They look all the same to me.

I'm for free range hens i hate people having battery hens so cruel.
    Joanne
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    Me too :):):)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Aah Mell :(

You going soft in your old age??

Cris' chickens do do battle sometimes, but Itis approriate - over food or mates.

Hers are truly free-range and take some catching if there are foxes around....

You should HEAR the noise she makes to get them in :lol::lol::lol:

Love

Toni xx c010.gif
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi all yep going all Buddhist I guess, I just don't see why it's OK to treat animals like they have no feelings, OK they get eaten in the end but that is no excuse for making their short time on this planet a miserable one, as far as I can see if you don't stress them they would have less illness that's got to be good for us all as it means less drugs used.
    I blame Tesco's meself, they are so tight they don't care what goes on so long as it makes a few extra bob per kilo, sorry got me lentil eating head on today, got to go it's time for meditation, ohmmmmmm!!!!!.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    What's that smell??

Is it patchouli??
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I could never be a farmer. I couldn't rear all the animals, and look after them, only to see them go for slaughter. I would get too attached to them. I am a meat-eater, but don't like to think about the animals it has come from. I do agree with you Mell about animal welfare.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Absolutely Joan!!!

there is no excuse for bad treatment :x

Love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hey I have just come up with a bloody good idea to make loads of money, animal counselling!, just think of the guff I could spout and get mega bucks for!.

Oh yes Farmer Giles your pigs are undergoing Hypersensitivity to the negative chakra due to the inadequate location of the pens to the adjacent lay lines, you really need to have some serious aromatherapy to aid their autoimmune response to negative stimulus, I have a partner who is involved with this line of “stock calming olfactory sedation” shall I arrange a consultation for you??.

£Kerching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:

May be we should have chicken members of parliaments, and cauliflowers elected to DEFRA?

[/i]

Hi rehab,

could we tell the difference.... especially with defra...... :wink: x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Mell

Think they already do pet counselling :lol::lol:

Love
    Toni xx