Week 12

Options
denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 29. Jul 2010, 11:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Saw joint nurse last friday for my 12 week THR check, she just asked a few questions and said all was ok and they will see me in another 9 months time.
Saw physio yesterday he left me with 1 crutch and gave me a walking stick to try to get used to cos I am still limping without a aide, cant be doing with the walking stick it spends more time on the floor after dropping it than the crutches did and I feel like a old woman using it. Anyway physio gave me another excercise to do to try strengthen my leg and I see him again in 3 weeks just before I am due back at work.
I told him that my hip keeps clicking and he said it was normal, which I am relieved about as its quite scary when it does it although it doesnt hurt.

Denise.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Saw joint nurse last friday for my 12 week THR check, she just asked a few questions and said all was ok and they will see me in another 9 months time.
    Hi Denise, did they x ray it previously or did they assume as you "passed" the questions that all is ok?
    Saw physio yesterday he left me with 1 crutch and gave me a walking stick to try to get used to cos I am still limping without a aide, cant be doing with the walking stick it spends more time on the floor after dropping it than the crutches did and I feel like a old woman using it.
    I never used my wooden walking stick last time either - it was too wobbly and I didn't like it (not my image - conjures up image of older person for me too,) I just carried on using one crutch.
    Anyway physio gave me another excercise to do to try strengthen my leg and I see him again in 3 weeks just before I am due back at work.
    I'm still limping too without a crutch (9 weeks post op, I think.) I lean to the side of my new hip as I lift and step with the other hip. Is the same as your limp?
    How do you feel about going back to work? What sort of work do you do?
    I told him that my hip keeps clicking and he said it was normal, which I am relieved about as its quite scary when it does it although it doesnt hurt
    Did he tell you why it clicks? My does that when I swing my leg forward in exercises, doesn't hurt but feels weird.

Are you able to do everything in life now that you want to do (apart from currently walk without a limp?) ie having baths, breaking the 90 degree rule, kneeling, carrying things, walking as far as you want to etc?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options
    ALREADY????

Hope the new exercises work for you would be nice to ditch the aids wouldn't it?

Bet you were releived that the click was 'normal' :shock:

Well done

Love

Toni xx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Denise

I was interested to read your post. I am 10 weeks post op now and I am sure I will still need to carry on with one crutch beyond 12 weeks.

Have you still got any swelling??
    Are you managing to get trousers on??

I don't have a click, but I do have a kind of side/back ache sometimes, usually after I have bent down, even with my leg out at the back.. My new hip is also quite stiff when I first get up in the morning, but that passes off quickly.

Overall, are you pleased you had it done?

Best wishes

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion - are you wearing your trousers now? I'm wearing all sorts - joggers, jeans and off course the 3/4 length summer ones. I don't seem to find it too tricky.

I now have the TEDS device too - it works!! Though of course I'm not actually wearing the TEDS but I did have a go. I also tried it with tubigrip etc works with that too - but I think you would struggle with it if your hands are still playing up because you have to stretch the stockings/tubigrip etc over the device.

How are you doing with everything? Do you limp without your stick around the house and when visiting neighbours?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I'm doing OK, but nowhere near as good as you from the sound of things...

I need one crutch when out and about, but OK in house and going upstairs. Have had to give up the distance walking because of my hands, but am going out and about in the car to the large shops and having coffees..

No - still can't get trousers on .. Bending is much easier though, and no pain, apart from a dull ache sometimes in my side/back if I am not careful...

Lower leg/ankle/foot are still swollen and still got purple patches, so went to GP on Wed and he said it would settle down in due course and to try and elevate it.. GP said I was doing well and to be patient - thought the hospital would be pleased with me when I go in early August.

Will definitely get one of those gadgets so that I can put on tubigrip..

My RA is playing up at the moment ...in shoulders/neck at the moment, as well as hands.. but just so long as it keeps away from my knees I will be OK!! Rheumy Nurse phoned this week and said my inflammatory markers (CRP and ESR) were rising again (so the methotrexate isn't controlling the RA )and I should definitely think about going onto an anti-tnf in the autumn.. bit worried about that!

Just can't believe how quickly the last 10 weeks have flown by.... after all that worrying we did in April and here we are in July!!

Hope S is OK.. has he finished for the summer holidays today?

Have got my daughter's graduation on Monday afternoon - hope it's not too long!

Marion x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Denise, Wishing you well with the new excerises. So you will be going back to work in a few weeks. I hope your work place is kind to you. Good luck and I am pleased they put your mind at rest reguarding the clicking.

Hi Marion,
    Congratulations to your daughter. Enjoy the graduation on Monday. :D
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Denise :D

great to read your 12 week update.....what wonderful progress you've made!
    Glad you were reassured about the 'clicking' too....I have clickety clicking in my 5 week wrist replacement so it was interesting to read what your ortho had said to you about that being 'normal'....I don't have any other TWR's to compare notes with so am always looking in on the threads of THR or TKR replacement peeps!

hope you find using one stick helpful and good luck with the rest of your recovery....

Marion.....hope you have a lovely time at your daughter's graduation...ask for an aisle seat so you've leg room and remember the hankies!!!

(((hugs)))

Iris x
  • speedalong
    edited 18. Jul 2010, 15:47
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    sounds to me like you are doing well. I know this may seem a silly question but are you tall? The reason I ask is because if you are you will have more trouser leg material to wrestle with ... I'm quite short and I think this helps with the trousers!!

I'm still using one crutch when out and about too. My gait is improving though as long as I concentrate and focus on it - just a slight rock from side to side now. I want to work out how to get from hands and knees to sitting on the floor ... any ideas??

My knee is still puffy and right at the top of my hip is still swollen - but not below the knee. What are the purple patches? Do you take anti-inflammatories? I wonder if mine are helping with this post-op swelling.

The gadget you can get on prescription - much cheaper. Did I post the link? You would probably need some special grip gloves too save your poor hands.

Hopefully once you give up the crutches your shoulders and neck will improve. Good luck if you start new meds in the autumn. Worth it though if they control the RA.

I think my brain is getting a little bored now of not working and I'm missing the social aspect of it too ... but physically I'm not ready for teaching little special needs kids ... low chairs, lifting and sitting on the floor ... and I do also like being less tired. I'm worried being back at work will set off the pain again.

S is better thanks and breaks up at the end of the month. He has a little less hols in the summer because two of his half terms are 2 weeks long ..

Have a lovely time at the graduation tomorrow - have you sorted out the seating issue - what did you decide?

Speedy
    x
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Denise

I had my op done at Wrightington - did you?
    Sorry for hi-jacking your thread here!

Hi Speedy

I cjust can't envisage how you would get down to sit on the floor - and up again.. I'll give it some thought.

No - I'm only 5 ft 3 ins. I'm going to ask about the trouser (and tights) issue when I have my first out-patient appointment on 10th August. I don't want to risk upsetting the tissues surrounding the new joint by doing awkward movements ... I did upset them quite a few times in the first 6 weeks!!

The purple patches on my lower leg are caused by blood congestion - we have poor leg veins in my family and my dad developed these purple patches when he had to spend all day sitting in a chair.. it's to do with gravity and the leg veins being inefficient at pumping the blood upwards.... I am going to get one of those gadgets (on prescription) as a tubigrip would help..

The swelling and patches are, in fact, a bit better again today. It's been my best day so far - have actually taken out the dogs (individually) for the first time since the op - and my shoes have not been so tight !!

I'm taking a wheelchair to the graduation tomorrow as a 'fallback' in case the auditorium seats are too low - also taking two cushions! Will be requesting an aisle seat....

I need to get back to work.. I am starting to enjoy being at home too much and it's not good for me! Am aiming for 9th August return..

BW

Marion
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Guys
    Sorry I havent replied but been on my Jollies for a week, its done me the world of good, cos I`ve done lots more walking which I needed to as I havent been doing much at home cos hubby is disabled and cant walk very far.
    Speedy -
    No They didnt x-ray my hip just asked questions
    I work in a shop and I stand for 5 hrs a day I was hoping to go back in a couple of weeks, BUT I went to the cemetary yesterday and cleaned the family grave and I am rather sore today so maybe I will have a rethink about work.
    He didnt say why it clicks!
    Yeah I am supposed to be able to do anything now, but I find getting down on the floor really difficult my legs are very stiff (probs cos I havent done it for so long its like anything - use it or lose it)
    Marion -
    No I dont have any swelling, but the nurse did say that I will be still inflamed inside thats why I am sore.
    Noooo I didnt have mine done at Wrightington I should have had the op done there last Sept. but I had loads of trouble with them and put in a complaint, so I wasnt going to have the operation there, I went to Chorley.
    Yeah I am so pleased I had it done, I dont take any painkillers anymore, I would recommend it to anyone.
    I am using the walking stick they gave me now when I go out because I limp without it.
    Denise.x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Denpen

It must have been reassuring to know that things are going ok. I think these ops take time to recover from. Just think back 12 weeks! I know what you mean about the walking stick making you feel old!!! I found mind very useful for getting in and out of the car. In fact when I'm having a bad day I still use it.

After my TKR it took a couple of weeks to get used to walking without crutches - my balance was all over the place.

Take care and I hope your recovery continues to go from strength to strength.

Sharmaine
    X

denpen wrote:
    Hi
    Saw physio yesterday he left me with 1 crutch and gave me a walking stick to try to get used to cos I am still limping without a aide, cant be doing with the walking stick it spends more time on the floor after dropping it than the crutches did and I feel like a old woman using it. Anyway physio gave me another excercise to do to try strengthen my leg and I see him again in 3 weeks just before I am due back at work.
    I told him that my hip keeps clicking and he said it was normal, which I am relieved about as its quite scary when it does it although it doesnt hurt.

Denise.