Oh my goodness - I LOVE prednisolone!

Options
hurdygurdy
hurdygurdy Member Posts: 21
edited 23. Jul 2010, 16:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been seriously struggling with arfur for a couple of months now. Etanercept has failed and I am waiting to begin my new regime on Rituximab on 20th August.

I went to my lovely GP today and begged him to give me something to tide me over until I started the new drug.

He has given me 30mg a day of Prednisolone (half the dose I've been on before) and some Zaipan capsules (codeine Phosphate/Paracetamol), which I knocked back as soon as I got back to the office.

I am a new woman already!

We are moving into new offices on Monday and I actually KNELT DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!!!! today and cleaned out the fridge that's being left behind. Last week, I couldn't even bend down to open the door!

If only I could be left on highish doses of Prednisolone for evermore, I'd not have to worry about any other regime. It is manna from heaven for me.

Still, I have to reduce the dose by 5mg a week, so I suspect I'll be back in pain and with all over stiffness by the time I start the new drug and will be glad to be on it.

I am very much looking forward to returning to a normal activity level and feeling a bit more alive now!

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hurdygurdy – so pleased you are feeling so good at the moment! Like you I am a paid up member of the prednisolone fan club. I Was on 30mg/daily recently for a chest infection and felt really good joints wise (until I stopped!!!). Currently taking 15mg/day whilst waiting for Humira to clear my system before I start on something else (possibly anti-tnf no 3). Trying to keep the dose down now but would love it if I could stay on it for ever. Given my track record with anti-tnfs, might just suggest it at next rheumy appt and see what they say (think I can guess).
    Hope you enjoy your new found mobility – but don’t overdo it with the office move next week!
    Really hope Rituximab works for you.
    Love Tilly x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options
    Hi Hurdygurdy

Brilliant stuff isn't it?

I know someone who had abrain tumour and was almost comatose - pred given - and he was 'cured' at least on the face of it.

It is a wonder drug and it is such a shame it has such horrendous side-effects isn't it? :(

You enjoy every minute of it and get everything done you can. :D

Love

Toni xx
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Me too!!! first went o n pred in ~Feb as feeling terrible. GP put me on 30mg for a week, then down to 25 and so on. At 30mg I thought I was cured!! I went shopping to Westfield, a huge shopping centre, and felt fantastic!! I wanted to stay on it too, forever!! but no such luck. My consultant wanted me off by my appt this month. I did that 4 weeks ago, and last week he put me back on it at 15mg as I couldnt even walk into his room without holding onto the furniture. Such a shame we cant use it indefinitely!! love Jay x x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

Glad you're feeling so well! Enjoy it while you can!

Sharmaine
    X
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Hurdygurdy.

it does sound a great drug, enjoy your painfree time and don't waste your high dose weeks on just doing things for the move at work! It is a shame you can't take it all the time - is it a dangerous drug to been on all the time?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    HI Hurdygurdy

Wow - that's a great effect!

I've never had Prednisolone - my rheumy isn't keen on using it for the very reason that her patients feel so well they don't want to come off it!! At one time, though, she did suggest I might try 5 mg (soo generous) - but in the end I didn't!

As Speedy says, don't waste this fabulous feeling - do something special.

Best wishes

Marion
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    It is a shame you can't take it all the time - is it a dangerous drug to been on all the time?
    Speedy
    You can take it for long term, but normally on a minimum dose. Initially my dosage was reduced down from 25mg/day in 5mg cuts until I was just above the pain threshold. I am on a 5mg daily dose and have been for the past 8 years, (and forever), Rheumy says its fine as it makes life bearable for me.

If I ever need to come off it, then it has to be done very gradually as the body has to restart manufacturing its own supply. That's the only restriction that I know of. I increase the daily dose by +2.5mg if I get a real flareup, then drop back when it eases.

Initially you can feel great on Prednisolone as it is such a sudden change to your life, but this is a time to be careful as it is easy to further damage your joints if you suddenly start doing things. As is often preached, moderation is best. But enjoy the freedom.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Thanks for info Joseph. Hope your smaller dose continues to work for you.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    That's great Hurdygurdy that you are feeling so positive.

I just started on Pred on Monday there although only 7.5mg a day so not in your super pred league!

I agree with everyone else, whilst you are feeling such benefit make sure you do something special FOR YOU and not just for work!

Carol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm grumpy today and I might have hit upon a reason. I'm in the proces of reducing the pred, now at 12.5mg per diem. I suspect it's not enough. Life continues to suck. Hattie J.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i started on it a few weeks ago, 15mg daily as well as upping my leflunamide, i just wondered if it's the pred that makes me hungry?!!
    i seem to wake up in the middle of the night, every night and i feel very hungry, i sneak into the kitchen, throw a yoghurt in my mouth and then i feel better and can go back to bed!
    never been a midnight feast person before!!
    also seem to be drinking alot more, especially water which i've never been a fan off!
    sue
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yup, sounds like pred. My temper continues to deteriorate, three days on 12.5 does not suit. How the hell did I manage on none?! I will go the full week, so I guess that by Sunday evening I will have alienated everyone. To mis-quote Homer Simpson: 'Prednisalone: the cause of, and the answer to, all of life's problems.' DD (WHO IS TRULY A FOUL WOMAN AT THE MOMENT.)
  • leecarter
    leecarter Bots Posts: 4
    Options
    Glad it's helping you. It has literally saved my life a dozen times (high-dose short courses for asthma). Made me feel fit as a flea! Unfortunate side-effects though... bone-thinning, weight gain, incessant hunger pangs and impaired immune system.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Aha! THAT is why my mouth feels like I have licked the bottom of a rabbit hutch!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    No carola, it's because you HAVE licked the bottom of a rabbit hutch! :D DD (only kidding - I know the diet is working for you!)