Wrist splints

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 19. Jul 2010, 05:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
I got given wrist splints by an OT but they don't give me much movement in my wrists. I work with children and feel I need a bit more 'give' but I need the support too. Any ideas where I can find some decent wrist splints? I hate to be a fuss pot but I'd prefer a a neutral colour so I don't draw too much attention to myself.

Thank you,
Sophie.

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sophie - I know it's frustrating not to be able to move your wrists but that's really how it needs to be if you are trying to protect your joints. I think that, if you try to buy something off the shelf you risk damaging your joints in the longer term. I don't know if your splints are the sort with the metal bar in? I used to wear the splints sometimes without the bar which made movement a bit easier but really not the best thing to do I don't think. Perhaps you could compromise by wearing them some of the time? As for the colour, mine were a lovely (not) flesh pink but at least they were quite unobtrusive because I found wearing them very embarrassing
    Sorry can't be more help with this.....

Love Tilly x
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

I have recently been given some elastic type fingerless gloves for when i need support for my hand and wrist they are amazing if you ask your OT for them they are called Isotoner theraputic gloves they are flesh coloured . I was explaining that i had made my own out of tubigrip but that i needed more support in the fingers and well over my wrist and she got these out for me they cost £25 apparantly. I think you will love them. :D Someone said you can get them on ebay for £10 i have not looked yet as mine are still new.
    Hope this helps.

Rose x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi

I had mine first of all by the Hand Therapist. They were the ones with the metal in them. They were ok and did help.

When I went to the Rheumatologist the nurse looked at then and said they were not right.

He went away and came back with a pair and put them on for me they were really nice and comfortable.

I don't know if this helps you.

Take care Trish xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi sophie,

the type of hand or wrist supports you're given by OT to wear depends on what part needs the most support. .... sounds as though the OT gave you the standard 'beige' coloured wrist supports which have the in built metal plates?.

...but, were you advised to wear them all the time ? when I started to wear splints I was told not to wear them all the time...so maybe check this out first before you consider buying 'over the counter' supports that might not actually be good for your hands.

why not phone OT..tell them how you feel about wearing them when at work and see what advice they give & alternatives they come up with?

let us know how you get on.

Iris x
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I was given the beige coloured ones that were uncomfortable in the bit between the thumb and first finger it rubbed it sore, what I found was in a sports shop almost the same as the NHS ones but made of stretchy comfy material with a metal plate inbuilt that you can take out to wash, I prefer it to any others I've tried BUT its bright blue, but to me thats fine as people notice and are wary of knocking into me which if happens can have me in agony I've got the iso gloves from ebay and they too are a good buy they help more with finger/ knuckle joints,
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi

I also found the NHS wrist splints rubbed the bases of my thumbs, so I cut/made the thumb area a bit bigger and that helped.

Sometimes, depending on how sensitive my hands are, I also take out the metal piece as I find that can cut into the top of my palm and make my middle finger sore!

I've also got those isotoner gloves - which are really soothing but don't keep your hands immobile, so I just wear those when my hands are not too bad.

Best wishes

Marion
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I'm not meant to wear them all the time, only for certain activities and no more than an hour at the time. I feel I need a bit more support. I ordered some thermoskin wrist supports than can be worn all the time. I see my rheumy on Thurs and I'm going to ask him first. They were cheap on ebay, so I don't mind too much if it was a waste.

Sophie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I have splints like that. I find that they help if I wear them when I'm not doing much as you say, they are difficult, also I wear them for ironing!

This seems to work for me to a certain extent, I do still get the pain and swelling, but if I stop and put on my splints, I feel much better, when I take them off.

I hope that you will find a pattern of wearing them that suits you and helps the pain at the same time. I complained to my physio, about the difficulties of doing things wearing splints, but she said thats why you have them, to STOP you doing too much! :lol:

Love Sue