Palates

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 20. Jul 2010, 08:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Just a quick question, most of you must be sick of my history of joint pain!!! The question is, a couple of months ago, my physio recommeded palates.
In my local small town, we have a private physio centre and one of the extra things they offer are palates classes run by a physio and they are supposed to only work you to your own speed and capability. You can even book 1 to 1 sessions. They do, of course cost money, but they arn't that unreasonable and come in blocks of 5 or 6 can't remember. I can afford it, but I'd like to know is, has anyone here had any experience of palates and what is your opinion?

Thanks, lots of love Sue

Comments

• page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue
    ive tried palates and yoga and i think it depends very much on the teacher, the one you mention sound good as it is done by a physio and 1 on 1 sounds good although it might be more fun with others.
    could you phone them and ask if you could go and watch one of the classes to see what you think?
    i enjoyed it but had to sit out a fair bit of it as i cant put weight on my wrists and a few other things i cant do, but the class i went to was at a gym with all heathy normal :roll: people, i gave it up cos it was depressing seeing women twice my age and size able to do so much more than me :( but i would do it again if i could do it with others like me, and your class sounds like it might be a good one
    worth a try i think
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, I went to the Gym on an 'exercise referral course. The first course did a lot of good and got me back to work. Then, after a few months of working as a carer, my neck started huring and my hands, I was dropping everything. :shock: When the pain got really bad I went back to my GP and she sent me back to the gym. This time, I couldn't do anything much that required hands or bending my neck. Then the hospital called me in for my carpel tunnel surgery and they told me to stop the gym for a few months or so. Well, that got me out of the habit. New excuse!!!

Now my back and neck has started up again and I feel like I need to stretch out! :lol: I think I will ring them and ask about things.

Love Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sue

"Pilates develops the body uniformly, corrects wrong postures, restores physical vitality, invigorates the mind and elevates the spirit." Joseph Pilates

I have read that pilates can be beneficial for just about anyone regardless of age and fitness level and osteopaths, physios seem to recommend it as one of the safest forms of exercise. A session run by a physio sounds ideal. I do know of some people who have not got on with it, but unless one tries these things one will not know, aye? I myself have not gone down that road yet, but you never know, I may well try it. :)

Give it a whirl. :) do let us know how you go on with it.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's one thing I would love to try but I believe it involves a lot of standing still, as well as getting onto the floor: is it similar to the Alexander Technique? Both work on building core strength, I believe. I can't stand still or get onto the floor - well I could do that, it's the getting up again that would stymie me! Good luck with it, try it, it might make a big difference! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Sue

How you doing today?

I've been researching my SLE and PolyArthritis and alot of people say that they benefit from Yoga and Pilates.

Luckily, one of my best friends has returned to Edinburgh and is an Instructor so after her wedding next month she is taking me under her wing. I'll let you know how I get on however the way I am hobbling at the moment I cannot picture myself actually doing it!! :lol:

If you start Pilates let us know how you get on.
    Carol
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Sue,

I have not done Pilates, but years ago did do yoga, and if I didn't have S to worry about would definitely give it a go again. Pilates is based on yoga I believe. You do need a teacher who is able to adapt the exercises and postures or the degree to which you do them to suit you - well a physio should be able to do that! My yoga teacher used to say things like - now if you have a bad back .. adapt the exercise like this/ if you are pregnant ...etc etc You could always ask to go to a "taster" - sometimes you just sit and watch and sometimes they get you to join in. It is important to talk to the teacher about your physical condition - they usually make you fill in health questionnaires anyway.

No harm in giving it a go.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Sue :D

I've not done pilates but would be really interested to hear how you get on... if you decide to go for it that is. :wink:

iris xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi,

I have OA all over the place - it's particularly bad in my lower spine and knees. I have been doing pilates for about 5 years, and my mum who also has OA everywhere has been doing it for a couple of years longer.

Sometimes, I admit, I feel sore the morning after a lesson, but we are both convinced that it helps in the long run. Our teacher isn't a physio, but is a very experienced pilates teacher, and though the classes usually have about 12 members, she's happy to spend time with each one of us and vary the excercises depending on each persons abilities/level of experience/ pain levels/injuries/condition, etc.

Ideally you need to find a teacher like this, so that you don't feel pressurised into doing any exercises that may do you more harm than good. Our teacher is also willing to adapt lying-down excercises so that they can be done standing up, and to suggest more than one excercise for working a particular muscle or body area so that you can do the one that suits you best. (To answer a quesiton asked earlier - in our class, (and in a class in a different area my mum used to go to), we only spend short periods standing up.)

The point of pilates is that the excercises are very controlled and slow so that you don't jar or strain any part of the body. They stretch and strengthen your 'core' muscles in the abdomen which in turn support your spine, and most lessons also include excercises to strengthen your arms and legs too. If you can find a good teacher, (and I've heard a horror story or two!) it's well worth it. I would admit, though, that on a very bad day I tend to avoid going as the pain levels can make the class hard to bear on those days, but ONLY when my back is at its worst!

Hope that helps - please ask again if you want any more specific infor about pilates. I'm no expert, but have been going for a few years, as I said, so may be able to help a bit!

Naomi
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options
    I have done it Sue

I get the space near the window so I can pull myself up if all is not well :wink:

I agree with Elna - give it a go girl :) If you have aword with the teacher first so she knows you might not be able to do everything.

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies I'll phone them up and see if I can book myself on a course or however they do it! I may wait a few days as yesterday, the postman gave me the Next directory in my left hand and I stupidly took it. I had a pain that only lasted a few moments but it felt just like something tearing in my neck! Its painful and stiff today, but I can move it although I now have a numb patch on the back of my neck and a feeling of pain and pins and needles down the outside of my arm. Even the shower water hurt it when it touche the skin. I hope its just a slight muscle pull and will get bette in a day or too or else I suppose its back to the docs for me!! :(

Love Sue