where does the word arthritis come from?

oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 20. Jul 2010, 06:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
any one know?

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Oneday

Arthritis is "inflammation of the joint" from the Greek "arthron" for joint and Latin "itis" for inflammation. The word came into the English language through the Latin from the Greek root.
    8)
    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Yep Elna is right!.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    elna is a wise lady who knows many things - plus, being Finnish, she has been taught English proper-like, unlike us native-born peeps who were 'tort it at skool'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    Hi Dreamdaisy :D

:D:lol: I am only half Finnish and was born here. :D I don't speak Finnish either other than a few very basic words. :lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,397
    Thanks for that Elna

So appendic'istis' is inflamation of the appendix :!:

well I never....
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    thanks my esteemed peeps.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh, I see! Sorry elna, I had you down for some reason as an out-and-out Finn, fanatic about driving and motor-rallying! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh, I see! Sorry elna, I had you down for some reason as an out-and-out Finn, fanatic about driving and motor-rallying! DD

:lol::lol::lol: No need to apologise, DD, sometimes wish I was Finnish, through and through!! We always want, what we haven't got!
    :lol:
    Luv
    Elna x