Swimming and hip op

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 26. Jul 2010, 10:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
just wanted to share the with people who appreciate the achievement...

I went to the SWIMMING POOL!today!!

I decided to stick with the baby pool - it is called the teaching pool and has warmer water than the big pool and is the same as the shallow end depth. The advantage of this pool for me was the warmth of course but also it has gradual steps leading down into the water. (Yet to tackle ladder steps ...)

I did my standing physio exercises twice over - and achieved much better range of movement and balance/stability in the water. I did lots of gait practise - walking up and down the pool and did some swimming too - tried front crawl legs - but keeping bum up uncomfy so did my usual breast stroke legs - but didn't push for strong stretches - as opinions on breast stroke after hip surgery vary.

Once out of the water again - my body returned to feeling heavy and walking was effortful again. Funny really as prior to my op I never really appreciated how lovely movement felt in the water - maybe it was because I was in the warm water - nearly as good as a bath!!

So will see how my hips feel tomorrow!! Was actually in the water longer than I thought and am resting on my bed for a bit now. The changing benches were only just high enough (lucky I'm not tall,) I took my grabber and sock-put-er-oner with me.

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done you, I've always advocated swimming for anyone with arthritis, I go twice a week.. and always feel so good afterwards..
    I hope you make it a regular habit... I always wear flipflops and shorts in the Summer makes getting dressed so much easier..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Tanith,

I don't have the sort of legs you would put into shorts!! But did wear my summer 3/4 length trousers. I can't wear flip flops etc as I have a leg length discrepancy and wear a foot raise in my shoe - so wore my usual slip on shoes (with thick shock absorbing soles) which have been a godsend. I do enjoy swimming and this was my first time since my op.

Well done you with swimming twice weekly.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Wow - very well done Speedy. That's another hurdle passed.

I bet you will sleep tonight!

Marion x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wonderful! Well done you! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Marion and DD,

Suspect maybe popping the paracetamol this evening - body feels like set in cement!!

... But felt great whilst in the water!!

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I can imagine how you feel! When my RA was really bad I went to a children's pool and felt great, marched around, lifting my legs high, etc, for about an hour - and then when I got out, OMG, I could hardly move!!

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion .... beginning to feel that way !! Probably wont stop me going again though ... two steps forward, one step back ...

How was your daughter's graduation and how did you cope?

Speedy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi speedy!

well done on you first 'dip' in the swimming pool post op. :D:D

make sure you do take some pain meds and maybe massage?

must feel great to be back doing the things you enjoy..with the added bonus that it's doing you good! great to hear. x

(((hugs)))

Iris xx
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Graduation was very good, thanks, although quite tiring. I didn't need the wheelchair in the end. I was able to sit on the end of a row. there was bags of leg room and the ceremony was pretty quick!

My daughter put my support tights on for me so that was a big help - although they did feel very very hot indeed after not wearing any tights for 11 weeks!!

Please could you give me that link for that gadget you have for pulling on the ...(dare I say it) ... TEDS? I have spoken to the chemist and she can order it for me, but I will need to get the GP to write the correct thing on the prescription!!

Thanks very much

Marion
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi speedy
    Very well done, you are a credit to THR, hope you get some rest now, but bet you are really please.
    Hope I do has well when mine comes along :shock: :)
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Speedy

That is great. It is so much nicer to do exercises and a little easier. You will get there as time goes on. I learn't to walk in the pool when I was in hospital.

Well done though

Trish xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,

glad you enjoyed the graduation and were fine with the seating on offer - plenty of leg room - oh joy.

The gadget link is;
    http://www.ezyasabc.co.uk/page1/page1.html

My nurse-practioner printed off the notes for pharmacists under the prescription tab for the chemist. You will need someone to measure your leg and made sure your GP also prescribes the handle attachment which comes seperately. In the leaflet they recommend that those who have trouble with their hands use special grip gloves to help stretch the tights/stockings over the gadget...

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Iris - ooh a massage would be lovely ... dream on!! Tho' maybe this would be a good use of my newly aquired skill of lying on my tummy (part of my experimenting re how to sit on floor ...) and I could probably visit my remedial sports masseur again soon. Have taken meds to dull pain.

Barbara - of course you will do well, you will be amazed. It's a case of trying to do a little bit more each day but also listening to your body and resting when you need to.

Trish - that makes total sense. My walking, range of movement and balance was so much better in the water ... pity hydro is something you don't get automatically.

Speedy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Well done you.......I havent been swimming since THR....and it was a long time before it that I last went in a pool LOL.... No hydrotherapy here and I'm not really fussy about swimming. I did ask the consultant about it at my 12 weel appt. He said......just do exercises or the crawl...no breast stroke or butterfly stroke.....BUTTERFLY STROKE LOL he must be joking.
    At the moment I'm going to the gym and using the bicycle and then doing stretching exercises {before and after} doesnt sound much but I'm so sore the next day LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena, interesting about the breast stroke - some think it is ok -some not ... I did it when I had just the one THR - but can't remember how many months/years after (that was not a straight forward op or quick recovery) and tried it this time round as consultant said ok (though was a bit worried at first as physio not sure.) Did try doggy paddle - but made my back ache.

I wondered about trying the exercise bike, we have on in our hallway - last time I tried it (pre-op) I only did a few mins and felt fine at the time and REALLY paid later - so have been a bit wary.

Well done you for going to the gym!! I haven't been for years - since I've had S - so 10 years .... Maybe we should both go together ... (him and I, I mean ...)

Speedy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedy,
    Think of all the other differences in our 2 consultants.....6 weeks you were a bit longer if I remember....cant remember the ins and outs but there were a few things that differed.
    Thats all I'm doing at the gym and only once a week they say that is enough at the minute. Doc sent me....."Healthy Life" its slightly cheaper and you have people trained to watch people with chronic illness and know what they should be doing and what they shouldnt.
    She got me on the bike....started me at 30 rpm for 10 mins then said speed up to 60rpm for 15 mins then slow down to 40 rpm for another 10 mins....then it was off and stretches.....I thought....that doesnt seem much.....I didnt think that the next day LOL LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    THIRTY FIVE MINUTES on the exercise bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blimey Hileena - no wonder you ached the next day ... it would take me weeks to build up to that long ... I really did nean a FEW minutes!!

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Sorry - I've only just realised you sent me the link to the stocking gadget last Tuesday.. thanks for that...

I've had an infected toe since last Tuesday (from an ingrowing toe nail) so have been on 500 mgs of erythromycin 4 times a day and have been seeing the hospital podiatrist every few days.. the last thing I want is for an infection to go up to my new hip!! I've not done my methotrexate injection this week to give my toe the opportunity to heal faster.. bit fed up/worried and hoping when I see the podiatrist on Tuesday again she will says it's all cleared up, otherwise that means MORE antibiotics!

Sounds like you are still doing great still..

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Ooh Marion - painful. Hope the toe infection and nail get sorted very soon and you can go back on RA meds. I'm still waiting for my appointment re podiatrist to come through - the toenails on op side not now been cut for is it 10 weeks??!! They are beginning to look like claws .. still wont I be able to have a go myself in 2 more weeks?! Depending of course on my ability to reach them adequately.

How are your hands?

You seem to be in the wars at the moment, Marion.

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Be careful you don't get an ingrowing toe nail too ... I was 8 weeks post-op before I went to the Podiatrist and by that time the nail had become ingrown..

Hands are not as bad as they were a few weeks ago - just got one fat/bent finger now on my 'crutch hand.' I think it will be like that until I stop using the crutch... The 'paraffin wax' treatment is helping soothe them.

I am seeing the Occupational Health Doctor on 5th August and then hoping to go back to work the following Monday on a phased return.. (the doctor was great when I saw him in April - but he was worried I would try and go back to work too soon.. I thought I would only be off about 6-8 weeks but he said it would be more like 12 ... he was right ..!

I'm OK - just a bit worried about the toe infection ..

Marion x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,

sounds like you caught the toe in time and the podiatrist is on the case with the antibiotics etc If you are at all worried though you should ring the hospital.

Let me know how you get on with occy health and the what form the phased return takes ... as I will as ever be following in your footsteps ... though with work several months down the line.

In fact I will be posting about it on the work forum as I can feel a bit of a rant coming on following my trips into school last week ...!!

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Marion, I've just caught up with this thread - poor you! How nasty. I sincerely hope things are on the mend now and that your toe is more comfortable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    Options
    Thanks DD

My new hip has been absolutely fine, it's the rest of my body that's letting me down now and could do with being replaced !

My daughter changed the dressing on my infected toe yesterday and it felt like it was almost healed up. I am at the hospital podistrist again tomorrow - they are keeping a close eye on me because of the infection.

2 weeks today I shoudl be back in work - hooray - I need to get back into a routine and my office is on a long corridor so it will be good exercise for me to walk down it every hour , ..

Anyway, enough of me - how are you now?

Marion