Feeling a bit nervous

Options
kerrycc
kerrycc Member Posts: 89
edited 26. Jul 2010, 12:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone - hope you are all as well as you can be.
I have finally had my first supply of Humira delivered and an appointment has been made for me to attend a 'training' session at the hospital next Monday. I have to go in on the morning, have a blood test, wait for the results, have a training session if the blood results are ok, have the injection and then wait an hour just in case I get a reaction. Long morning i'm in for it seems but at least i'm getting somewhere.
Thing is.... i'm feeling a bit nervous now! xx

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Kerry,
    Sorry I cannot help you with Humira but I just wanted to give you some support for Monday.

You are bound to be nervous about it all. Try and think of the benefits it will bring you.

Deep breath and keep busy between now and then. I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will come alongs soon.

Lv, iX
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I haven't any experience of Humira either, but I agree with Ironic that you are bound to be nervous of something so new and different.

As Ironic says........think of the benefits. You will find lots of other peeps with more experience will pop along soon, I'm sure they will be able to give you more practical advice.

Annie
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have had lots of experience with humira, mostly good. There are some tips I can pass on but I won't, not until you've had your training. It has been the most effective treatment I have had (I've also been on infliximab, which stopped working after three doses, and enbrel, which did all sorts of nasties to me.) Humira has kept my inflammatory figures in single digits since its first administration. I wish you well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    hi kerry.

it's really good that you're getting started on Humira...don't be nervous...the nurses will talk you through your injection and answer any questions you have or worries about it. :wink:

I think I said before on your other thread...I was on it for nearly 5 yrs and only stopped because my body decided to produce antibodies that stopped it working....otherwise I'd still be happily jabbing it!

You will be fine.... and if it knocks your arther on the head and improves your quality of life then that would be wonderful. :D

hey we will go with you on Monday...we're really good at that!

(((hugs))))

Iris xx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Kerry

All the best for Monday .. I shall be watching your thread with interest as I might be going on anti-tnfs in the autumn and I am rather nervous too..!

Marion
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Kerry

I don't really know anything about Humira but just wanted to wish you luck. I think it's natural to feel nervous about things like this.
    Try not to worry too much.

I hope it goes ok for you.

Regards
    Sharmaine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    hI Kerry

Will be thinking of you.

I'm sure you will sail thorugh it and maybe there will be people to chat to?

If not take a good book just incase :)

Love

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Kerry

Really good luck for Monday! I understand why you are nervous but it sounds as if you are being well looked after by the hospital

A couple of Humira tips which you might find helpful to mention when you go to the hospital:

I found that, if I took the injection out of the fridge for a couple of hours before using it, it was much easier to inject.

Ask at the clinic about anti-histamines - I used to get a very bad injection site reaction and was advised by the hospital to take a (non-drowsy) one-a-day over the counter anti-histamine before doing the injection. I used to take it about an hour beforehand and it made the world of difference. I usually needed to take one the following day and sometimes on the day after that but it decreased the redness and itching drastically.

Really good luck on Monday - will be thinking of you.

Love Tilly x
  • kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Well i've been and had it! Bloody hell it stings!! Only for a few seconds though and it seems really easy to use. I think i will be fine in a couple of weeks doing it myself - I feel really confident about it. A bonus too, I haven't had any swelling or redness at the injection site! All i need now is to discover that it works for me so fingers crossed - thank you all for your lovely thoughts, they got me through today :D you are all lovely people xxxxxx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi kerry!

So glad you've had your first injection and that despite the stinging you're feeling positive about it! (:oops: did we forgot to mention about the stinging!!) As you say..it doesn't last long and if you take the Humira out the fridge beforehand it will help..honest!

Fingers crossed it helps you... :wink:

love n (((hugs)))

Iris xxx
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Kerry

Sounding positive for you.
    Yes, it can sting.

I have been on Humira for a couple of months
    and do feel quite a bit better, my blood markers
    at my last test are lower.

The first injection I did at the hospital stung a lot,
    the rheumy nurse didnt use the alcohol wipe
    and just once when I forgot the alcholol wipe it stung like mad.
    But the more I do the better it gets, so I am
    persevering with it.

Have to carry a couple of syrings of Humira in my luggage to Canada so
    that will be a first.

Hope all goes well for you.

Kath x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Kerry - and well done for surviving your first Humira injection!

Hopefully you can treat yourself to something nice this evening as a reward. Chocolate (and lots of it) was always my Humira night reward.

Love Tilly x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Kerry,

well done - that's the first one done. Soon you'll become an old hand at it.

Keeping fingers crossed it works for you.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Kerry

Very glad it went OK. Please keep posting and let us know how you get on...

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Right kerry, firstly congratulations! It isn't too bad once you get used to it and it's good to hear you feel so confident.

Secondly: to reduce the stinging take the humira out of the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes before you inject. The mere fact that it's a little warmer really does reduce the sting. I'm doing mine tonight, perched on the edge of the bath, wipes and plaster at the ready. Just over a year ago a chap came and taught me how to do it - I can now do it on my own: took me a year to be brave enough tho - I liked having The Husband around for moral support, but I realised I had to be able to do it solo and I can.

Thirdly - well done you! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben