Now what do I do ?

Options
lozza812
lozza812 Member Posts: 25
edited 21. Jul 2010, 10:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Had my 1st rhuemmy appt. today. I was quite impressed, very thorough... But at the end the Doc said he wasn't quite sure and had to get a 2nd opinion from the Consultant.
I have osteoarthritus in my right knee and hip, that much I knew already; Consultant says he thinks it has probably spread to my spine which is causing all the referred pain.
Can't think of anything I wanted to hear less..
I know that there wasn't going to be a 'magic pill', but I really needed to hear something more positive.
I suppose the good news is that I'm being referred to physio, they have taken baseline bloods so they can correct my calcium and Vit D, and taken lumber spine x-rays as well as given my amytriptoline to help me try and get some sleep. Also said that low Vit D can cause all sorts of muscular problems and pain as well as the memory problems I am having.
Got to go back in 2 months once meds have been given a chance.
Feeling quite c***... and now my shoulder hurts from typing... I can't win; anyone fancy doing my ironing !!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Lozza

Get on chit chat - the new club thread - and get Elna to do your ironing - she does mine - ato a very good standard too i might add :wink:

I know you are feeling shocked at the moment and scared, but you will be ok . The amitrip will make a huge diferenc - sleep helps no end. Also the physio and as you say if vitamins and bloods can be sorted that will help too.

Have you had the xray? Or sre you waiting?

If I were you - if you dont have a follow up apt - and you have a decent GP - I would go there in a week or so once they have the follow up letter for a chat. They explain better sometimes...

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi lozza...

no wonder you feel like c**p...you've had a bit of a low blow with finding out the extent of the OA. :(

The good thing is that your docs are keeping an eye on developments and have given you Amatriptyline which is great for helping with sleep as many if us here know. :mrgreen:

hope the physio helps and that you get relief once the new meds kick in. :wink:

Iris x (who also never irons...so no offer there!)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lozza

I will do your ironing for you, but no bras, knickers or towels, otherwise it is a deal. :lol::wink: Not sure when the next busload of ironing will be leaving to travel over to me, but get on the Chitchat zone to find out! :lol::lol: We are not really mad on here, but a sense of humour does help immensely! :lol:

Although you did not wish to hear what you did, at least you are being well looked after, which is what many of us on here, would like to be able to say, but cannot, unfortunately. You spine may not have been helped by the way you are perhaps walking to try to alleviate discomfort in your knee and hip. Physio could be of great help to you. Here's hoping you get a good physio as they do vary.

I wish you well,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    At least you know what you are facing, which is a good thing. Elna makes a good point about your gait - do you use stickes or crutches? Crutches give excellent support and enable the user to walk in a better fashion as weight is more evenly distributed. They also ease much of the strain. You do seem to be in good hands - just take one day at a time. I wish you well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben