Rheumatologist at East Kent Hospitals

Options
jenfa1
jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
edited 22. Jul 2010, 08:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone help? I have suffered from RA for 17 years and my gp has referred me to the above hospital, I can see Dr Bull or Dr Robin Withrington. Has anyone any experience of the latter?
thank you

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jenfa - can't answer your question I'm afraid because I am based in Oxfordshire, but just wanted to say "hello" and welcome to the forum.

The forum members are geographically widespread (we are everywhere!!!) so hopefully someone will be along soon who can advise.

Love Tilly x
  • jenfa1
    Options
    thanks Tilly love your avatar great choice!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Thanks! We've got very good taste haven't we?!
    Tilly xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Hi Jen

Sorry I am nowhere near either, but someone will know...how long before you need to decide.

You can google consultants you know and see what that says....??

Love

Toni xx
  • jenfa1
    Options
    thanks Toni,
    I have googled and seen some papers he has written but not much else, I got the impression I need to make a decision fairly quickly as the choose and book people said they only had 3 appointments available and the next batch might not even tell me which consultant I would get. I know there are at least 2 more that run clinics at the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford but there were no appointments for them??? who knows Supposed to be a choice but when your gp referred you the old way they could refer to an individual doctor

hopefully someone can help soon
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh I hope so Jen

If it comes to it you may have to choose anyway... :?

I choes the shortest list and a tecahing hospital because I was depserate and I get more info when the consultant explains it to the students... :wink:

Hope someone comes on soon.

Love

Toni x
  • dianaw
    dianaw Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi

Just to let you know I have been under Dr Bull for two years together with his rheumy nurse. I have been very ill and both of them have managed to help me. Dr. Withrington I had no faith in as I was on methrotrexate, injectiing myself etc and he just did not seem interested. i swapped to Dr Bull who put me on enbrel, humira and infliximaf and now on mabthera infusion. I see him at Buckland Hospital Dover.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more info,

Regards
    Di x
  • jenfa1
    Options
    Oh wow thanks Di

hope you don't mind I am going to message you
    thanks Jenny

need to say some stuff that prob best not in public!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There is a famous rheumatologist at my hospital, good looking too, and he and I cannot stand each other. Personality is very important with doctors and patients: you can have all the knowledge in the world but if you present as an arrogant prat who does not listen to his patients things ain't gonna work. The majority of his patients adore him, and slavishly hang on every word. I changed to one that few like: she's a little stand-offish and cool, but she listens to me and gives me choices. We get on reasonably well but this is a professional matter, she is not meant to be a friend. When I see her, however, I know she will listen to me, as I'm at the sharp end and experiencing her recommendations! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jenfa1
    Options
    well I bit the bullet and have chosen to go back to Philip Bull, the choose and book have given me a provisional appointment for 30 Sept, apparently it is still down to the hospital to check my referral before it is confirmed!

I have decided I need to take charge a bit more and be in control so I am going to try and diarise my last few months so that I can go with info. It seems times have moved on over the last 17 years and people are being put on medication very quickly, so I am going to ask him if we can start at the beginning - maybe too late but it seems from reading the posts medication is the way forward.

NSAIDS like volterol made me nausea which is a concern with the methotrexate but I will do some research on here and see what happens.

thanks for all your postings, at least I get the impression I can switch doctors if it doesn't work out. Part of me would love to go to a teaching hospital but that would mean travelling to London which on my own by train just wouldn't be practical really especially if it was for regular appointments also cost £50 each time
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Well done Jen

That's that sorted then :)

I hope it works out for you.

Love

Toni xx

PS great aren't they on here :D
  • dianaw
    dianaw Member Posts: 26
    Options
    jenfa1 wrote:
    Oh wow thanks Di

hope you don't mind I am going to message you
    thanks Jenny

need to say some stuff that prob best not in public!

Hi Jen

That is fine, you have my e-mail address.

Di x
  • jenfa1
    Options
    Hi Jen

That is fine, you have my e-mail address.

Di x[/quote]

I have messaged you through your inbox on here