Repeat injection!!!

Options
mikequinn
mikequinn Member Posts: 10
edited 27. Jul 2010, 02:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All
Not been on here for a while as I thought I had got rid of my problem.I couldnt even walk 200 yards 6 months ago.
Then I went and they gave me an injection in my back(in my right Sacroiliac Joint)
About 24 hours I later I was pain free!! amazing as i couldnt walk without pain for the last 2 years.That was on the 9th feb this year.
About the start of june it started gradually getting worse again,I thought ok I am allowed 3 injections a year,so made an appointment for another as it was getting unbearable again.
Last wednesday 14th I had another injection,same doc did it.Took it easy for 48 hours like I was told waiting for my high(no pain). and it never came,and still now a week later its killing me.
I am now thinking perhaps they missed the exact spot? am I immune to the stuff in the injection.Is it easily possible they just missed the exact spot and do you think they are likley to re inject if i go back. Not sure what to do,except get depressed again!!!

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mike,

what a let down, you must be gutted. I've no experience of joint jabs - but others will be along who have. Have you contacted the doc to let him know?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Was it an injection by xray direction because they would not have missed in that case, or an ordinary injection? I am sorry that it has not worked this time around, for you and the other jab only gave you 4 months, but that is quite a reasonable time though.

Sometimes the injections can take time to work, but a week has gone by now hasn't it? Do you think you may have an infection there? Not sure what to suggest, other than to discuss it with the person who administered the injection.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi mike :D nice to see you back on the forum but sorry your jab of steroids hasn't seemed to work this time. :(

I've had injections..joint and intramuscular..over the years.; some work better than others but no idea why.... :|

Although it's a week since you had it done it may still work to some degree..I've certainly found that with my most recent IM one.

Sometimes they are more effective than at other times. I think too that it depends on the stage of arther in the joint (less effective as arther progresses), the skill of the person administering it (for joint inj) and the amount of steroid they inject.
    This is only my opinion, not anything more than that, so I agree it would be worth phoning up the person who did the inj and ask him about it.

I've never known them to repeat a jab so soon but maybe that depends too on what the medics think..

hope you do get some relief Mike.

iris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Steroid jabs (if that is what it was) are contrary, and nothing to do with hitting the exact point. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I was told that steroid injections should last for three months, the most relief I had was three days then it was all back to normal. You may need to consider other forms of treatment if the arthritis has advanced. Fun it ain't. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Poor you mIke

My ex MIL had these jabs in her back - three or four times three out of four of them worked and the one that didnt was in the middle somewhere so you are hopefullly NOT immune.

Alos as Dorcas just said - occaisionally they take a good while to work (over a week is not unheard of).

I will cross my toes and fingers for you.

Love

Toni xx
  • mikequinn
    Options
    Well Guys !
    thanks for the replys,there is some comfort in them :)
    I will give it a while longer I think,then go back,to see them. :cry:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    You do that Mike

Might be you have to wait a while between them, but sure it is well -worth another try :)

Love

Toni xx
  • mikequinn
    Options
    Well!!! :lol:
    Somebody must have been listening to my previous post,cos I feel great,no pain,gone,freedom :D:D
    If this one lasts as long as the last (a good 3 months) then I will be well chuffed.
    Thanks for the replys,its great support :D
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Great news Mike :D

a little delay in effectiveness can happen with steroids esp. the IM ones.....but you got there in the end :wink:

hope the benefit to your joints stays with you for as long as the last one. :mrgreen:

Iris xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hear from you in October then! I'm glad it's been effective for you - how lovely to be able to do things again. Good luck with it - don't over-tax it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh Mike!!

Lucky lucky lucky YOU

I am so very pleased for you :)

Hoorah!!!

Love

Toni xx

Did I say I am pleased :wink: