Which Can opener?

Options
jenfa1
jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
edited 26. Jul 2010, 18:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning
just tried opening a tin of spaghetti for my son who wanted it for breakfast with one of those very old fashioned tin openers (after breaking many modern ones before), however with my swollen fingers today it took a long time and caused a lot of pain.

I don't open that many tins but any recommendations as to a tin opener that works for people like us, ie not too much straining/pressure required
thanks
Jen

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I have the same problem with jars, tins, packets and milk cartons!

I now have the 'one touch' can opener and one touch jar opener...recommended to me by my physio. they are both well worth having and do exactly what they promise. :wink:

don't go and but them over the counter as you can get them very reasonably priced if you do a search on the net. :!:

the jar opener will also open milk milk tops.

haven't yet found anything for opening packets....but maybe someone else will help me solve that one. :wink:

Iris xxx
  • jenfa1
    Options
    thanks Iris
    Is that the culinaire thing quite big white object - have seen it in the shops and wondered if it was any good.

Packets well don't get my husband on them, he is fit and able bodied but gets annoyed opening dvd wrappings and biscuit packets especially the ones that have that special tag you are supposed to pull to make it easier!

Jen
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Scissors and knife blades for packets/cellophane wrapped items are handy things for me, but then I do not have too much trouble with my hands. Packaging is a nightmare, there's usually too much of it! If a milk seal doesn't pull off I stab it thro with a knife then peel it back, either using fingers or the blade. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    they look cumbersome but are actually easy to use once you've tried them a couple of times.....I can use them with one hand. :wink: definitely go look the web...much cheaper than shops...

DD you're going to stab yourself with all those knives flying about! :lol:

..you need two hands to open pkts..one to hold the object one to wield the scissors...no use for painful hands . :roll:

need to get your thinking cap on damsel. :lol::lol::lol:

Iris xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Iris - maybe this could be the next challenge for that inventor you have in your family?!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Wedge the packet between your stomach and the worktop, thus leaving two hands free for maneouvres. Or clamp it in an open drawer, again using the midriff. Any good? DD
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I have just bought the one touch can opener that Iris recommends. It came with a free jar opener. It is fantastic! Very small and neat.

I got mine from Ebay for just £3-68 including P & P. Just go to Homes and Gardens, and type in one touch can opener........Ange.
  • dorcas
    Options
    DD...Did that for some time but doesn't work once your hands are truly wonky with arther n don't grip. rubbish eh? hands not you DD :lol::lol:

should be easier once wally is working! but I'm sure other 'handsy' peeps have the same problems with packets.

speedy...will ask inspector gadget!

Irisxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Ive got that can and jar opener and its fantastic. My husband got it from somewhere in ebay, as he knew I needed it. He also bought a sort of plastic hooh that makes opening ring-pull cans so easy. Even before Arther, I've always had trouble with those and usually make a mess!!! :oops: :lol:
    Love Sue
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think the worst offenders are child-proof pill bottles - I do struggle with those when on a flare, so I now decant all meds into small tupperware boxes, which are slightly easier to open Surely it isn't beyond the wit of parents to keep meds well away from small children. DD (spaghetti for breakfast? Think of the sugar levels in the canned stuff! Having said that, it's probably less than the sugar in cereals nowadays. They have reached obscene levels)
  • jenfa1
    Options
    right I'm off to look on the internet, thanks for the tips, I think about £20 in the shops hence my concern and wanted to check it works

spaghetti for breakfast - just occasionally!

any childproof medicines or tablets I get my 8 year old to open! usually they are his calpol anyway but just can't open them, if it is prescription I think you can ask the pharmacist for one without the lid

I have a little gadget that you put under the lids of jars and lift slightly it lets the air in and makes them easier to open but for a bad day I expect the electronic gadgets are better.

Slightly off the subject but I did find my tefal one cup good and safer for me than using a kettle, until I dropped the plastic jug on the floor and it broke!

thanks you guys you're great
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We have our moments! (Christmas Day special breakfast for me: a large tube of Smarties. Cor! Can't beat it.) DD
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Jen

You need the culinaire one touch can opener, or something akin as culinaire itself can be dam expensive...I only got mine as i worked for lakeland last year and got it in the charity cupboard, where staff can buy things customers have sent back and have been opned, minor blemishes or something that is not seen fit enough to selll at full price, again just minor chips etc.....

Elaine
    jenfa1 wrote:
    Good morning
    just tried opening a tin of spaghetti for my son who wanted it for breakfast with one of those very old fashioned tin openers (after breaking many modern ones before), however with my swollen fingers today it took a long time and caused a lot of pain.

I don't open that many tins but any recommendations as to a tin opener that works for people like us, ie not too much straining/pressure required
    thanks
    Jen
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    What about nutcrackers for opening the top of plastic milk bottles? They just do not come off!!!
  • madgirlzzz
    madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
    Options
    hi
    for tins i have an electric can opener, which ever was cheapest in argos!
    for opening bottles including the milk i have a rubber jar and bottle opener, although still need some grip for this, but is better with to open!
    good luck with the hunt!!
    gayle x