CAB how do you get an appointment?

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 23. Jul 2010, 08:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I have had my DLA forms filled in but wasnt happy with the lady who helped fill them in. She didnt seem interested in my forthcoming ops for THR and foot- I think they would help prove my mobility problems. She rushed me through all the questions.
I have decided to go to Cab and have tried phoning on the dot of 9.30 for several days running but no joy so turned up at two different CAB offices today and still no joy. Both say you need to turn up on the dot of 9.30 and join a queue just to brieflysee an advisor.
Is this what everybody else has to do? I know quite a few have had help with their forms and members generally suggest they would be a good place to go. Its a lot of walking and standing about.
I have to get my forms in by 29th September.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    When I needed their help, I rang and booked an appointment.

I told them due to my disability I couldn't 'just turn up'.

They were very helpful, but I did have to wait for 2 weeks.......

I also used DIAL...........they were brilliant.......

http://www.dialuk.info/

Try them Elizabeth..........

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

I think Rob's right keep ringing at 9.30 on redial till you get through then make an apt - they have long lists for these forms, but at least they are filled in properly eh?

Good luck

Toni xx
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi elizabeth

when i applied for D L A i phoned my local one in my area and i know it will be different to where you live but anyway i phoned them and although i dont like answer machines i left a message saying i want an appointment a.s.p for D L A and they got back to me, i have also got the email address of the person who filled mine in so i can email her when ever i need her, i so glad i got her help, i could not of done it without her help, if the one that does yours is not helpful ask if there is another person who can fill them in, i know with my one she specializes in those forms.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Elizabeth,

I may be very wrong here but if you are to have operations, will DLA see that as you will improve and therefore be seen to not have mobility probs? THat could be a bit black and white, it could be one of the reasons why she did not see that as necessary?

I'm sorry that you are having probs with seeing the CAB, I don't have any ideas as to how to get through. I did my forms on my own and got DLA.

Good luck with the application, it seems so hard to get any help these days with anything I feel.

Janie
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou all. I will try Dial so thanks for the link Rob.
    Janie you could be right but I feel I have to go through the worsening pain first before the op and will definately need my car in the meantime ,and therefore HRM for that.There will be a period of rest between both ops so i am expecting the problems and pain to last a while. Even a year qualifying for a much needed car will be worth it and if then both legs feel great then I will be happy to use them as much as I am able. I just feel I am going to need my mobility car a lot in the near future.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Sorry that you had a bad time with CAB. Here, they are very busy, I decided not to use them but wish I'd been more patient about getting an appointment. I hate answer machines so didn't bother and I could have e-mailed, but decided to do things myself.

I wonder if the person you saw was just having a bad day or maybe you were just unlucky. Even the best of organisations have a few people that don't communitacate very well, they may be what happened. Don't give up. Better luck next time with DIAL.
    Love Sue
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

sorry you're having problems with getting to see someone at CAB.

I know it seems to be getting harder to get an award of DLA but that shouldn't stop you from applying...especially when you know that you will be spending quite some time getting/ recovering from future ops.

getting the right help with completing the forms is a must..so it's worth keeping on with trying to get through to CAB and getting that much needed appointment.
    Rob's advice is spot on. :wink:

good luck Elizabeth...let us know how you get on.

Iris xxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    I had a problem with this lady before. She once made a comment that upset me so I complained so its probably a fall out from that. But if shes not on my side then she wont really offer best advice.I thought I would give her a second chance but that appears to be a mistake. She didnt even advise me to photo-copy the form or remind me to fill in the missing addresses and doctors names and phone numbers!
    I decided to double check with CAB but cannot get through to them. An answer phone would be fine but even thats not forthcoming.

The dla can only go on the answers I give so how they are written is very important.Off to try DIAL now

Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Rob did you have a local Dial to help? So far they cant help me cos no office near enough to me. You have to be a resident of the local area and i am not near enough to any of them sadly.Harrow is my nearest but you have to be a resident of Harrow to get their help(which Im not.) They pointed me towards CAB.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Rob did you have a local Dial to help? So far they cant help me cos no office near enough to me. You have to be a resident of the local area and i am not near enough to any of them sadly.Harrow is my nearest but you have to be a resident of Harrow to get their help(which Im not.) They pointed me towards CAB.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth................I had local DIAL help.........
    Local office is only 5 miles away........

Shame they are not near you.............

They were so helpful for me..................

I'll PM you...

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thanks Rob,
    You were very close werent you. I think I will have to try my luck queing at CAB. I have 2 close by but will probably have to take my children with me. Theres a nice cafe and duck pond nearby and the lady who runs the cafe has an autistic grandson so very accommadating. I have the whole of August and September to get them sorted.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein