dietry supplements

Options
hopefull
hopefull Member Posts: 15
edited 8. Aug 2010, 10:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi im quite new to arthritis and this forum dont have pain just discomfort after walking.
have any of you had success when using supplements?

im using glucosomine/chrondroitine and cod liver oil.

wondering if im waisting my time.

only my right hip is affected. I think as a result of traffic accident 15 years ago.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hopefull

Goood to meet you and sorry about your hip.

Lots of people on here take those supplements and i think find them useful. Quite a lot eat oily fish regularly too.

May well be that accident that started it going :(

I swim when I can and think keeping as flexible as you can helps a bit, but nOT overdoing it.

Some of the others will come along hopefully soon so might have more ides.

LOve

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi

Have you been diagnosed with OA? That can unfortunately happen after injury to a joint.

I took gluco but stopped that after years of taking as I did not feel it was of benefit to me, but I still take cod liver oil. It did not stop me having two Total Knee Replacements in the past two years though. :roll: :) Some people say tomatoes make them worse. Everyone varies and it is trial and error with diet really.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi Hopeful

Welcome to the forum, I hope you get lots of help & support from it.
    It can be a bit trial & error, as Elna says, and we all find our own best ways of managing. For myself, I have to keep moving otherwise my joints stiffen up terribly. Carrying extra weight is not good but thats my ongoing battle.
    If you're looking at supplements you might find the following link helpful
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/pdf/Complementary and alternative medicines_11012010154331.pdf

Best wishes

Whalewatcher
  • hopefull
    Options
    thanks for your help its a lot of guess work.
    youd think that a blood test would tell you what you were deficient in .
    I never eat oily fish so i probably need the cod liver oil only started yesterday so will let you know if i move better lol.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Oh yes, definitely agree with Whalewatcher about exercise/keeping mobile and not being overweight if at all possible, less strain on the hips, knees, feet and ankles. I try to do all that and feel that it has certainly helped me.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    These things help some, do nothing for others. For years I dutifully swallowed fish oil capsules but they did nothing to alleviate symptoms: I really just wasted my money. I do eat lots of oily fish but only because I enjoy it. I don't take glucosamine because I over-produce synovial fluid - I don't need more! It really is a matter of trial and error, and I also think the benefits are dependant upon what type of arthritis one has. I wish you well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi

Taking glucosamine I know has been shown to help joints, but only if you have arthritis, doesn't matter what type you have. Don't know why that is!

What have you got to lose in trying the supplements, cod liver especially, my hubby takes it and if he stops, he feels the lost benefit.
    If you do decide, take them for a few months as it takes a while to get into the system, to give them a chance.

Janie
  • thehiplady
    thehiplady Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Can't say I ever noticed any benefit from Glucosamine. And I don't eat oily fish (or any fish for that matter) as I'm a vegan. I do so agree about weight and some exercises.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    You can get glucosamine on prescription, don't know if it is cheaper but if you are exempt or 60 years old, it is free. The medical profession must think it has some good properties.

Elna x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I lost over 3 stone once, and it made absolutely no difference to the inflammation (stayed in the upper one hundreds) and pain levels. Another myth peddled by those who don't have arthritis methinks. That's the essential problem - we're all different! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    Options
    thehiplady wrote:
    Can't say I ever noticed any benefit from Glucosamine. And I don't eat oily fish (or any fish for that matter) as I'm a vegan. I do so agree about weight and some exercises.

How do you manage when visiting friends, holidaying etc? My brother was a vegan for a goodly number of years and helped with the cooking in a vegan cafe, in the Gloucestershire area, at one time, but found difficulties when abroad or visiting friends.He began to eat fish, relatively recently otherwise he would have starved in America.

Elna x

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    I found high doze of Rose hip helped a little while I was waiting for treatment.

Look for it on the web site Whalewatcher gave you. You might find it helpful

Lv, Ix
  • thehiplady
    thehiplady Member Posts: 11
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    How do you manage when visiting friends, holidaying etc? My brother was a vegan for a goodly number of years and helped with the cooking in a vegan cafe, in the Gloucestershire area, at one time, but found difficulties when abroad or visiting friends.He began to eat fish, relatively recently otherwise he would have starved in America.

Elna x

holidays tend to be a non stop diet of salad and chips :D my friends are pretty accommodating but we often eat out so indian, chinese or veggie restaurants suit us all

France was very hard a few years ago but i've heard veggies (at least) are finding it easier. The increase in people with lactose intolerance helps as people are now more aware of what has milk and what doesn't
  • hopefull
    Options
    once again thanks have started the cod liver oil.
    im also interested in the stem cell research.
    best wishes to you all.
    I feel better about my condition now x
    need to learn how to add an avvatar
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Welcome to the forum. What you discribe could be OA, but it would be a good idea to discuss it with your GP. He can check it out and help you get the right treatment, like painkillers and physio.

Glucosamine seems to help some people, but my physio said it would take 3 months or so to notice. I took it for quite a while but nothing seemed to happen, the pain was the same, on the other hand a girl I worked with took it and said that it helped her a lot. One thing, unless you are allergic to shellfish, it does'nt hurt you, but seriously if you are allergic to shellfish it can be dangerous as it is made from a natural product of them. I'd also go to see your GP as well as take suppliments, though. I hope you get sorted out soon, love Sue
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I try to avoid sunflower oil and although not a fish lover I have now started to eat fish once a week.
    I have also heard about the weather affecting one's arthur. I am afraid that doesn't apply either neither is losing weight even though have lost 3 stone. I think at this stage of my life the damage has been done.

Joints do get very stiff and have to keep moving :roll: :roll:
  • hopefull
    Options
    thanks everybody i will keep on with the supplements.
    im also watching the development in stemcell treatment just hope im not too old to benefit from it x