MRI on wrist

Options
page35
page35 Member Posts: 1,081
edited 29. Jul 2010, 10:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All
I'm waiting for an appointment for an MRI on my wrist and i was wondering if anyone else had had this?
will all of me have to go through the MRI or will it just be my wrist?
im not very good in confined spaces so a little worried.
Sharon

Comments

• tarasmygirl
    tarasmygirl Member Posts: 70
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharon

I went through an MRI on my hand on Tuesday. It was okay. Lying still for so long was main problem, I would have fallen asleep if the machine did not keep stopping and starting.
    Don't know which hospital you are going to - mine was in Royal Infirmary in Glasgow. I was asked to lie on bed on my stomach with hand to be scanned extended. They gave me a buzzer to hold in other hand and if I had any problems to press it and they would stop. Scanner unit is open at both ends and is lit so I didn't feel claustrophobic - possibly because I was lying in a postition similar to the one I normally sleep in. only problem I had was getting back up as joints had stiffened from staying still for so long.
    Good luck
    Cath
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Sharon

I am glad you are having ot done, but sorry it needs doing :(

I had my back done as you know - suggest you do ckose your eyes and it only takes about 20 mins so wish you luck

LOve and hugs

Toni xx

and bubbles for Diddy from Cris who is without internet connection at the mo :(
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Sharon,
    Just wanted to wish you luck. I take it the injection did not work for you.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Lv, Ix
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

I've had MRIs of my back, not of my hands but I guess from what Tara's said the process is the same. :wink:

I get claustrophobic too but the machine is like an doughnut tube...open both ends and light inside.

As others have said you will have a push button in your hand if you need them to stop .. they will also give you headphones n music which helps...and will also talk to you during the MRI and give you instructions about holding still when they need you too and make sure you're ok....which you will be!!

I kept my eyes closed the whole time too as the 'ceiling' inside the machine is quite close.

It will be worth having this done Sharon as it helps the docs see exactly what's going on inside the wrist so they can give you the best advice afterwards. :wink::D

Iris xxx

ps...we'll go with you!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Having an MRI is a doddle. Yes, the machine is noisy but you are given headphones: my hospital doesn't stretch to music tho, which is probably a good thing - I like dance and trance, not Val Doonican or James Last! I have only ever had my knees MRId, which meant I was fed into the machine as far as my shoulders, but as dorcas said the tube is open at both ends and you are given a button to press incase of need. The only physical problems I had were my knees were too fat to fit the holder so they had to squash them in - ouch- and my feet got cold, so now when I have one I ask for a blanket for my delicate little tooties. You don't feel a thing when it happens and it does give such clear info for the docs. Good luck, you'll be fine. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • page35
    Options
    Hi and thanks for your replies :D
    maybe it wont be so bad, i will deffantinly be closing my eyes the whole time.

Ironic i didnt have the injection they done the ultra sound but still they are not sure why i cant move it so they say i need MRI first and then depending on what they find i might still have jab :?

Thanks Toni for the bubbles from Cris i will need them im sure.

Thanks again for replies dont have appointment yet so not too worried but know i will be.

Sharon
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

be sure to let us know when your appointment comes through...we'll all go with you to give you moral support.. but will probably scare all the radio..whatsits!!!

Iris xx :wink:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Page,
    Yes let us know when you go. I had a scan on my ankle recently and like you was worried about being in a confined space, well panicking actually. But turned out they just fed my ankle into the gap and I had to keep still, which I did find quite difficult. I kept getting the urge to move.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

Well I hope your appointment comes soon, I think the waiting makes the worry worse.

Fingers crossed for you.

Lv, Ix
  • sheilb
    sheilb Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, Sharon

I had an MRI on my wrist a few weeks ago and it was fine. It's just the wrist that goes into the scanner - they put it in a sort of vice (not as bad as it sounds) to keep it still. I was laying on my stomach with my arm in front of me so got a bit stiff. They put headphones on me and offered me a choice of music even though I think the headphones were just to keep the scanner noise out. It took about 20 mins all together and was more uncomfortable than anything else. I hope it goes well - why are you having the scan, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
    Sheila
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

glad they are looking at them and please let us know when so we can pocket dwell with you. ((( ))) and bubbles by the ton Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Have you had a date yet Sharon??

Just wondering....

Love

Toni xx
  • page35
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks Sheila that has made me feel better hope it will just be the wrist going in :D
    im having it done in Ealing hospital Greater London.

Thanks for all your messages, sorry took my awhile to reply i have been on holiday for few days went to Bruge, lovely place had a great time.

Toni no appointment yet it normally takes a few weeks before the letter comes, i just had a bit of a panic when they said MRI :roll:
    you know what im like dont take much. got bloods tomorrow, you would think id be used to that now i have to have them so often (every 2 wks atm) but no :roll:

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Cris, hope your ok?

Sharon
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Sharon

Dont be worrying chick :wink:

we'll be right behind you.

Hope the hols were good and don't forget an update when you get a date.

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    sharon,

I worried big time but my OH said its a 'doughnut' machine( a round circle) and they should just scan the bit they want but I do understand how you feel and it would be nice if you could put your mind at rest.

Glad you had a nice holiday in Bruges?
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein