bad week

flossy46
flossy46 Member Posts: 39
edited 23. Jul 2010, 10:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everyone.

i don't like to moan BUT why is it so hard to get an appointment to see your own doctor?

i've just had the week from hell as far as my pain and swelling is concerned. by the time i managed to get an appointment the swelling and pain had gone, so i'm back to it all being in my head as far as my doc is concerned.

my job involves alot of work using a computer and as i have only been at this job for a few weeks i can't afford to take time off sick. i'm just struggling on and trying not to complain. one of the duty managers is lovely and let me go home early when i could hardly stand last friday but i can't expect everyone to be so understanding.

i am so frustrated at the moment.

well rant over, back to life i suppose.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Someone once posted that they took photos when things were bad, to prove how swollen her joints were. I think that's a good idea, do you keep a written account to? I have kept an arhtritis diary for years now, called 'The Battle of Wounded Knee', 'cos it was one knee when it began! It does help one to remember all the meds and changes thereof etc.

I'm sorry you've been having a rough time - I hope it all eases soon. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • flossy46
    thanks. dreamdaisy. i'll have to try that next time
  • dreamdaisy
    You mentioned problems with standing - does that mean your knees/hips/ankles are the chief offenders? If so, do you use sticks or crutches? I wouldn't be without mine - indeed cannot be without them! - they do take a great deal of the strain from my joints. DD
  • flossy46
    no, my back is the problem
  • catlady
    catlady Member Posts: 41
    Hi there, I'm lucky enough to be retired, but with newly diagnosed RA I'm still in the angry/whyme?/tearful stage and this horrid disease is interfering with all my plans.

Today has been a bad day! :( Trouble is even though I dont work, my family members cant seem to grasp how it fluctuates and I seem ok one day, not the next. As already said, you cant see pain.

I think the idea of keeping a pain diary and photos is a good one.
  • dreamdaisy
    To be newly-diagnosed is indeed a tough rite of passage. Stick with us, we'll see you through. DD
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Hi - am I right in saying that in the publications section there is a bita bout explaining what you feel to family?? or have i dreamt that?? there is somthing on emotions - which i found really good as well as complaining on here!!! you will get good support on here no matter what you feeling!!

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    I so agree with Catlady ...call me paranoid but I am convinced people think I 'put it on' because one hour (or one day) I can be not too bad and the next I can be really suffering...

It's hard trying to get the message over to people/family that arthritis is not like having a cold or flu, where you get better after a few days in bed...

Sorry - this is a bit of a negative posting for me.. I'm usually quite upbeat.. !

Marion
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Living with any form of arthritis is a real challenge and it's not helped by feeling you have to 'prove' your pain to your doc or family. :!:

Flossy, your doc should be aware that the condition fluctuates and flares can be unpredictable and quickly arise and diminish ...that does not mean it's in your head and you should not be made feel that way by anyone. :roll:
    I know some peeps have difficulty seeing their docs at short notice (although severe arther flares should warrant an urgent appointment) but can you perhaps see a nurse in the practice when you are having a flare who could then get the doc in to see you?.....at least your flare would be documented..

Not all families understand enough about the nature and impact of arthritis so you can feel isolated and unsupported catlady...but we are always here to support you.

I've posted a link to the publications section of this website which has really helpful info on arther .

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Arthritisbasics

you could also phone the helpline and they will send out leaflets to you for you and your family to read . It may help your family understand what you are going through...and be more supportive if they read about arthritis.

Iris xxx

ps..Flossy, you could post any questions you have about work and arther on the 'working matters' forum? xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Morning flossy, I hope things are a little brighter today for you. DD
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Someone once posted that they took photos when things were bad, to prove how swollen her joints were. I think that's a good idea, do you keep a written account to? I have kept an arhtritis diary for years now, called 'The Battle of Wounded Knee', 'cos it was one knee when it began! It does help one to remember all the meds and changes thereof etc.

I'm sorry you've been having a rough time - I hope it all eases soon. Dreamdaisy

Aye, I took pics of 'my swellings' on my mobile and made my Rheumy look at them 'cos as always my body decides to look absolutely fine every time I have an appointment!

Whilst I thrust my mobile in consultant's face I say, "I am sorry to make you look at my pics however I need to feel I am being taken seriously!".
    I think it works as they just want me off their backs as they think I am a headcase haha!