Going on Holiday

joon51
joon51 Member Posts: 221
edited 24. Jul 2010, 06:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening to you all, need a bit of advice,

Going on my hols in 3 weeks, first hol abroad since being diagnosed.

I'm on MTX and I'm sure I have read some-where you have to be careful of the sun.

I am very worried being away and falling ill any tips.

THANKS JUNEXX

Comments

• page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi June
    im having my first abroad hol too, since starting the Mtx, but im only going for 3 days so not too worried.
    i think just make sure you have travel insureance and high factor suncream.
    Have a good time
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You need factor 30 minimum, and stay out of the mid-day sun as much as you can. DD (who had major meth rash/sunburn on her neck from her recent stay in North Devon and forgot about suncream etc as she usually doesn't go out in it. )(Pack some calamine lotion too.)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    joon51 wrote:
    Evening to you all, need a bit of advice,

Going on my hols in 3 weeks, first hol abroad since being diagnosed.

I'm on MTX and I'm sure I have read some-where you have to be careful of the sun.

I am very worried being away and falling ill any tips.

THANKS JUNEXX

Hi June

Well it depends where you are going to. Make sure you have enough insurance to cover you as it can be very expensive. If you are going on a Long Haul flight check that you have for the country you are going to.

Don't stay out in the heat too long, drink plenty of water. Mostly get bottled water as you know that won't make you ill.

Have a very nice holiday

Trish x
  • joon51
    joon51 Member Posts: 221
    Taking on board what you are all saying cheers.

I did have trouble with insurance they would not insure anything to do with ARTHUR so I asked them what if I fall over and break my leg, their reply was "if it's to do with arthur you will not be covered" think that would be hard to prove it was not to do with artur.

I'm going to Bulgaria Hubby, Me and Grandaughter, used love be in the sun, the hot spell we just had did not agree with me at all.

Feel like my joints are aching more, have got a telephone appontment with rhumey nurse next friday see what she says about my aches, I feel such a wimp when I read what alot of you are going through, I did have a really bad flare when it first got me, and I worry about it coming back.

Have a good day.

Junexx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi june just want to say have great holiday val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi June

Maybe they can wack a quick jab in your B*m to pick you up before you go?? Tell em about your hols - they might - I had one before my hols a while back....

I think you will be fine and I really hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Dont knwo how old your grandaughter is, but hope she is spoiled too :D

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 24. Jul 2010, 03:35
    Hi June,

think Toni's suggestion bout a jab before you go is a good one. :wink:

Wondered if you had the 'European Health Insurance Card'...lets you get emergency treatment in all member countries of the European Union. The card is free although some websites charge so be careful! lasts for 5 years. There are some do's and dont's so I've posted you the link to the nhs website which explains all about it.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/Introduction.aspx

About the Mtx..don't worry about it..just use a good sun block and wear a hat!

Have a lovely time. :wink:

Iris xxx

ps. you are not being a 'wimp'..arther flares are awful..and you're just being sensible taking all the steps you can to keep im under control. :wink::D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That's a good point from frogmorton - a steroid boost may be the answer, or a short course of oral steroids, if you know that steroids work for you. I know what you mean about the flare thing - that's the most annoying part of this whole damn business: you just don't know when it will occur. Anyway, I hope you have a lovely holiday - we will want all the gossip when you return! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Just wanted to say hope you have a good one.

I've been abroad a few times since getting arthritis, and I found that being in hot countries and having time off work actually made me feel amazing, didn't feel like I was sick at all.

Hope the same happens for you, try not to worry too much and enjoy yourself. A change of scene is always good :)