Not Disabled

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 25. Jul 2010, 07:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Did anyone see the item on the news last night of the soldier who had a leg amputated after fighting in the afgahn war. He initially got £180 DLA but then when he learnt to walk more than 400 metres on his artificial leg they withdrew the money that he was using for his mobility car. He said that he would have to have the good leg amputated too as it wasnt in great shape either.......How can the government/civil service not see that this man is disabled and does need this financial help?

Beggars belief...

Elaine

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I agree with you, it does. Part of the argument is, apparently, that because he volunteered for the army he should have been aware fo the risk of injury but I don't hold with that at all. Yes, he volunteered, but he could equally well have not been injured. This young man has sacrificed a limb, possibly two, in fighting a ludicrously stupid war. He has shown respect for his country, discipline and purpose, unlike so many of the benefit wasters we support. He is to be lauded, not punished. His benefit should be instantly re-instated - and doubled. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hi Elaine.
    Yes i agree with you DD
    a very brave man he did not have to join but he did.
    he is not a lazy layabout but he does not get any thanks for all he's done.
    there's some thing wrong some where.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've read in the paper today that he has chosen to use his DLA for a car, which makes perfect sense. OK he can walk a certain distance but to get to where he wants to walk he'll need reliable transport, and using one's DLA for a car ensures just that. Surely he must spend a great deal of time going to hospital too - again he needs good transport. I am not only spitting feathers - a whole damn bird has just come out! DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hi DD
    it just go's to show it what ever you do it meens nothing,
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Yes I saw the report too. He said he needed the DLA for his car which he mainly uses to get to appointments. As he pointed out everyday life activities are a challenge for him and he suffers a lot of pain carrying out tasks others take for granted ... A truly sad story and another wrong decision from the DWP

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    I am positivelty FUMING for thios man!!!

I agree with all of you....

I am very very glad that this is in the media however as it may well raise public awareness of the issues.

Love

toni xx
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    I did read it and was aghast, the DWP need to hang their heads in shame, reverse their decision and pay him any money owed immediately, with an indefinite award. I hope he has contacted his MP, Consultants, GP's, the whole lot. Nothing surprises me with the DLA or the DWP, they are a law unto themselves and seem to be some sort of closed shop, as I know only too well.
    I bet this is just the start of their money saving ventures, hang on to your hats, I think we are going to be fighting battles for a long time.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I thought you couldn't wear an artificial limb all the time anyway which would mean he couldn't walk more than 400 yards what ever it was at the time it wasn't on.

I'm sure after all the media attention, the DWP will see sense. It goes to show that the pendulum with regards to DLA, ESA has swung too far the other way to catch the fraudsters out, and is penalising the decent people who are genuinely sick.

Disgusting the way he has been treated, it's discrimination against being disabled surely??

Janie
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They won't see sense. I suspect they're all able-bodied. DD
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    They do see sense in some cases as appeals are won.

Jane
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    This so wrong on every level. Seems we never learn. :(

Breaks my heart to see these wonderful brave people having to fight to just to get a modicum of dignity in their hour of need.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    I know this from personal experience.

When I first lost my right leg it was below knee. I was given DLA.
    I did learn to walk on an artificial leg.

After the year was up I had to be accesed. I was turned down for DLA as I could walk also it was below knee.

Then I had a lot of problems, and had to loose more of my leg. That meant a new leg would have to be made. I was told again I had DLA for a year.

Well, I then had problems with my leg and ended up loosing the rest of it.

My DLA was extended, To shorten this I lost the other leg. I had Asthma, Epilepsy, and a lot more medical problem. I had a battle and it took 18 months before I was awarded DLA. I needed 24hour care by then.

Unfortunately below knee amputee's only get the money for a year as it is easier to learn to walk if you have your knee.

The bad part is you get sores on the stump can ulcerate and need months of traatment. You not able to walk while like this but this is not considered.

If you loose a leg in an accident you are easier to treat they say.

I don't know if it has been changed now but I expect that is why he lost his claim.

After my experience, I cannot see how people get away with claiming money and yet there is nothing wrong with them.

Trish
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Wow Trisher, no wonder you know your stuff. I think all amputees should turn up at the assessment without their artificial legs on ... as this is the worse case scenerio. The DWP need a panel assessing DLA claims - with disabled lay people on it .... oh where did that pink pig flying past come from?!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi all

I agree -it's totally disgraceful!

I see you've had a lot of battles with them too Trisher -..

It makes my blood boil..

Marion
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Just shows the system is wrong. If you adapt even with major problems it's used against you whilst people who know how to play the system get everything whether they are entitled or not!!
    My blood is up and boiling. But the more publicity that is given to the working of DWP the better. :!: :!: Fay
  • silverbreak
    silverbreak Member Posts: 46
    Options
    haagan wrote:
    Just shows the system is wrong. If you adapt even with major problems it's used against you whilst people who know how to play the system get everything whether they are entitled or not!!
    My blood is up and boiling. But the more publicity that is given to the working of DWP the better. :!: :!: Fay

Unless both your legs are missing then you will need to show that you experience severe discomfort even when using your artificial aid.

basically means I guess you have to make the subjective answer that it causes severe discomfort
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Id like to thank Trisher for her post below.

It just goes to show that even with things like an amputation there is time specifications that are put upon you by the DLA to (correct me if im wrong) adjust and learn how to walk with this new limb. Also Im sure myself and lots of others didnt know about the below the knee thing too....I wrongly thought that if youd had to have an amputation then it was no different (for the causes of DLA purposes etc) if it was below knee or not. Of course we dont think of things like sores too, but that must be painful too and tricky to treat.

It still makes me feel that the DWP still are so blinded in their execution of making decsions for the poor folk who need it. Of course it goes without saying that I feel humbled too and I can walk about and it makes me think too.....These are the people who need it and 100% moreso than me.

Elaine
    trisher wrote:
    I know this from personal experience.

When I first lost my right leg it was below knee. I was given DLA.
    I did learn to walk on an artificial leg.

After the year was up I had to be accesed. I was turned down for DLA as I could walk also it was below knee.

Then I had a lot of problems, and had to loose more of my leg. That meant a new leg would have to be made. I was told again I had DLA for a year.

Well, I then had problems with my leg and ended up loosing the rest of it.

My DLA was extended, To shorten this I lost the other leg. I had Asthma, Epilepsy, and a lot more medical problem. I had a battle and it took 18 months before I was awarded DLA. I needed 24hour care by then.

Unfortunately below knee amputee's only get the money for a year as it is easier to learn to walk if you have your knee.

The bad part is you get sores on the stump can ulcerate and need months of traatment. You not able to walk while like this but this is not considered.

If you loose a leg in an accident you are easier to treat they say.

I don't know if it has been changed now but I expect that is why he lost his claim.

After my experience, I cannot see how people get away with claiming money and yet there is nothing wrong with them.

Trish